Excessive Backing?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you have to back, do it. If you don't, don't. Being on one report or another means nothing.

A number of years ago, long before telematics, somebody in IE decided to give us a demonstration in backing. They came in and wired a "clicker" into the backup lights of our senior driver's car (we'll call him "Mike"). Mike was a 30+ year safe driver and worked 100% by methods. Everybody respected and liked him. IE's intent was to show the rest of us that backing was not always necessary. Next morning they were at the PCM, and said nothing about how many backs Mike made the previous day. He raised his hand and asked the results. 300+ backs. Horrible.

Apparently, nobody had told the IE guys that Mike's car was our first automatic, and every time he shifted into and out of park, the "clicker" registered a back.

Priceless!

CharleyHustle

They haven't said anything about backs around here for months. So, I've been backing every chance I get so when they say we have to reduce backs I can easily cut mine in half and be the star!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
They haven't said anything about backs around here for months. So, I've been backing every chance I get so when they say we have to reduce backs I can easily cut mine in half and be the star!

You just don't get it do you?

Your going to be a "Star!" when you back into the wrong thing...

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking, it is not asking to much is it?

MethodsMan

One more gripe about Orion and then I'm done.

The other day it had me delivering a school that was closed for the day on the most southern part of my route, far away from my pickups or the planned destination it had for me back to the building. It was 12:15. Can't sheet a closed or NI1 in that hour window. If I were to go back later it would easily add 3 miles to my planned mileage for the day.

Ruh-roh.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Work as directed. I don't make up the rules. I just play the game.

It is impossible to "work as instructed" when the instructions we are being given are conflicting and mutually exclusive of one another.

Follow ORION 85%...but make service on all the packages. Reduce your number of backs...but follow ORION. Reduce your miles...but be in compliance with scheduled pickup times. Be in compliance with your pickup times...but follow ORION. It goes on and on and on. Any action you take to comply with one instruction will automatically cause you to violate a different one. Its frustrating, but it also gives us as drivers a real easy out since we cannot be disciplined for failing to follow conflicting instructions. Being put into a "no win" situation gives us the freedom to simply do the right thing without having to fear being fired. THAT is how you "play the game".

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

The other day it had me delivering a school that was closed for the day on the most southern part of my route, far away from my pickups or the planned destination it had for me back to the building. It was 12:15. Can't sheet a closed or NI1 in that hour window. If I were to go back later it would easily add 3 miles to my planned mileage for the day.

Ruh-roh.
Miles are your friend not their's.

MethodsMan

It is impossible to "work as instructed" when the instructions we are being given are conflicting and mutually exclusive of one another.

Follow ORION 85%...but make service on all the packages. Reduce your number of backs...but follow ORION. Reduce your miles...but be in compliance with scheduled pickup times. Be in compliance with your pickup times...but follow ORION. It goes on and on and on. Any action you take to comply with one instruction will automatically violate a different one. Its frustrating, but it also gives us as drivers a real easy out since we cannot be disciplined for failing to follow conflicting instructions. Being put into a "no win" situation gives us the freedom to simply do the right thing without having to fear being fired. THAT is how you "play the game".

Sent using BrownCafe App

What part of my statement made you think I don't break trace to make service? Break trace a handful of times for the little school or church down the way and you're teetering on not meeting the compliance %. Its all moot anyways, since I usually have a couple misloads everyday for the route 5 miles down.

Its probably a little easier to stay on trace on a rural route with clean aisles.

jaker

trolling
What part of my statement made you think I don't break trace to make service? Break trace a handful of times for the little school or church down the way and you're teetering on not meeting the compliance %. Its all moot anyways, since I usually have a couple misloads everyday for the route 5 miles down.

Its probably a little easier to stay on trace on a rural route with clean aisles.
Wrong , my route is rural and Orion doesn't like dirt roads or winding country streets

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

You are complaining about being "forced" to back additional times, fight with bulk, deliver businesses late etc in order to "comply" with ORION. Guess what? They cant "force" you to comply with ORION in the first place! They can bitch and whine and moan and complain about it....but so what? Why should you deliberately put yourself at risk of a backing accident, or fight bulk stops all day, or piss customers off with inconsistent or late delivery times for no other reason than to make your supervisor look better on a compliance report?

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ruh-roh.

If the school was closed for the day why was it on the car?

Z

ZQXC

I have found that if I try to overthink every backing situation as I approach a stop, just to stay off a report, I can actually put myself at greater risk than normal. So, I have returned to the common sense approach that has served me well for many years of accident-free driving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have found that if I try to overthink every backing situation as I approach a stop, just to stay off a report, I can actually put myself at greater risk than normal. So, I have returned to the common sense approach that has served me well for many years of accident-free driving.

While I don't overthink every backing situation, I do find that I am more conscious of not only the number of backs but whether I even need to back and, if I do, whether to back first or to drive a bit further, turn around and complete the stop.

What frustrates me the most is when I properly position the pkg car only to come back from the delivery to find someone has blocked me in, forcing me to make a back that I wasn't counting on making. This happens most often at the medical office complex I deliver to.

Ouch

[quot="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1276466, member: 12570"]If the school was closed for the day why was it on the car?[/quote]
Upstate I rarely if ever agree with you, but this is a good point. If it was a scheduled close by the school system our leaders have told us to sheet closed holiday and it didn't matter if it was in the lunch times or not. I guess it really varies from hub to hub.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

[quot="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1276466, member: 12570"]If the school was closed for the day why was it on the car?
Upstate I rarely if ever agree with you, but this is a good point. If it was a scheduled close by the school system our leaders have told us to sheet closed holiday and it didn't matter if it was in the lunch times or not. I guess it really varies from hub to hub.[/quote]

I'm not talking about sheeting as closed holiday---I am talking about giving your PDS a list of known closures so that he/she can have them pulled from the car during the preload.

I have 6 or 7 known closures on various days throughout the week which never make it on to the car.

Ouch

Upstate I rarely if ever agree with you, but this is a good point. If it was a scheduled close by the school system our leaders have told us to sheet closed holiday and it didn't matter if it was in the lunch times or not. I guess it really varies from hub to hub.

I'm not talking about sheeting as closed holiday---I am talking about giving your PDS a list of known closures so that he/she can have them pulled from the car during the preload.

I have 6 or 7 known closures on various days throughout the week which never make it on to the car.[/quote]
I know you werent talking about sheeting. That comment wasn't a reply to yours. What I meant was if by some reason it was on your truck, why go back if you can sheet it closed holiday. I agreed with your, why wasit on the car.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What frustrates me the most is when I properly position the pkg car only to come back from the delivery to find someone has blocked me in, forcing me to make a back that I wasn't counting on making. This happens most often at the medical office complex I deliver to.

Number 4: Leave yourself an out.