Excused absence

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
They can take disiplinary action for anything, including for you doing nothing wrong at all. This is why we have the grievance process. I do not know the posters ailment and will not pretend to know it. It could be serious or not, but the fact that he provided a doctors note, which by the way, is much more educated in the health field than a supervisor, then the employee would be fine at any panel hearing. If a doctor gives you an excuse, it is an excuse. The company may not accept it, but an arbitrator more than likely would.

my last position with ups was not a union position, it was in administration in the dist. office. we didn'd have a union. we could not unionize.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve and Downsized, are you complete tools? You're both boasting of jeopardizing the health of those around you. Have you no regard for those you come in contact with? Spare me your self righteousness, i'll be able to pick up the slack in your absence. Stay home and rest up, you have an obligation to your co-workers and your customers.

This obligation works both ways--you have an obligation to come to work when you are able to and especially when you don't feel like it but you also have an obligation to know enough to stay home when your presence creates more of a health issue for those you may come in contact with.

A few of the members know this but most of you may not but my father passed away 12/10. He is being cremated, no services are being held and we are waiting until after Christmas to honor his passing for the convenience of the family, namely me. I simply do not feel that it would be fair to my co-workers or to mgt if I were to take 3 days off during the middle of Peak. My brother and I made sure his affairs were in order and all of the arrangements had been made ahead of time. Actually, working has taken my mind off of this. I know there will be those of you who will say that UPS would go on just fine without me and you would be absolutely right. I say that if the situation were different and there were to be a service and a funeral then I would most certainly have taken the time off to be there; however, since I am not needed there I know that I can be of some use here.

I guess this goes back to our conversations as to whether UPS is a job or a career. If this were only a job I wouldn't have thought twice about taking the time. This is my career.

(I did not open up here looking for pity but a silent prayer in my Dad's memory would be appreciated. Dave.)

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I guess this goes back to our conversations as to whether UPS is a job or a career. If this were only a job I wouldn't have thought twice about taking the time. This is my career.

Sorry to read about your father, Upstate.

Being out on the road at this time of year with a helper by your side has to help you a lot. With so many deliveries and someone to have a conversation with must keep your mind busy and make the day go by quick. If it was non-peak season, I'm sure some time off to reflect would be warranted.

I have also had a pretty easy peak this year and have a good helper. I've bought him dinner after we finished work on Thursday and have paid for coffee and sodas. I appreciate that he comes to work doing this thankless job for small rewards, I just hope the thread starter realizes that people are counting on him to be there. Sure I can get a different helper if mine didn't show, but the routine and production we generate would be slowed tremendously.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Sorry to read about your father, Upstate.

Being out on the road at this time of year with a helper by your side has to help you a lot. With so many deliveries and someone to have a conversation with must keep your mind busy and make the day go by quick. If it was non-peak season, I'm sure some time off to reflect would be warranted.

I have also had a pretty easy peak this year and have a good helper. I've bought him dinner after we finished work on Thursday and have paid for coffee and sodas. I appreciate that he comes to work doing this thankless job for small rewards, I just hope the thread starter realizes that people are counting on him to be there. Sure I can get a different helper if mine didn't show, but the routine and production we generate would be slowed tremendously.

we are all part of a chain, regardless of department, and that chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Upstate, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. That is truly commendable of you to stay and work at this time. I mean that in all seriousness (many would not). My prayers to you and your family.

herbigharo32

Ummmm.....A coworker often takes a day off at random. The day after Halloween, I could barely make it up that really big and tall stairs leading to small sorts. But, I did make it and none the less got my work done.

gandydancer

When I provide my Center Manager a Doctor's note can they refuse the note and require me to work? or Would they be allowed to disclipline me for excessive absences when a Doctor's note was provided for each absence?

Blanket statements that the company will succeed in disciplining you for exceeding your sick day allowance are false. Nor is a doctor's note required for most absences. In fact, having got one would seem rather peculiar -- what condition are we talking about? But the Company doesn't have to take the word of some doctor in you employ as unchallengable gospel and if your health renders you predictably unfit for work the ADA will not protect you past a certain point.

If you're a threat to others' health, please don't come to work. Steve's "I've got the flu -- wash your hands after you sign for these packages I've been dripping on" doesn't cut it.

White Wizard

Dear Upstate, no words can take the pain of loss away,If more would offer silent prayer the world might be a better place, ( who knows ) While I commend you for your actions, I also have another view, and dont want to offend since my better half is from upstate, near cooperstown, and I love that area in the fall. We only have one go round here, and unless peoples lives depend on you, I say Family is way more important then some boxes that are gonna make it to customer anyway. At a time of loss people need the strong ones of the family there to pick them up. And it sounds like you are that member of your family. Just a thought, when my mom died 10-22-01 I wish i had a strong member of the family around to pick me up, It was sudden and she was to young. My thoughts are with you and your family, No time is a good time for loss, but this time of year seems to compound it! Maybe you went to work to take your mind off it, that would be tough for me. Stay well and warm in that cold that my girl left behind 21 yrs ago.

HBGPreloader

Since Florida is a "right-to-work" state, they can fire you at any time and without reason. The union and/or a good attorney will argue otherwise though.
Call me selfish, but I'm a firm believer that if you're legitimately sick and not hung-over, etc. you should stay the heck home. I don't want your germs or getting myself and/or others sick too.
Good managers realize that people do get sick and they are able to make arrangements to fill your position in your absence.
One more note, FMLA only applies to employees who work more than 1250 hours a year.

Checkers

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Since Florida is a "right-to-work" state, they can fire you at any time and without reason. The union and/or a good attorney will argue otherwise though.
Call me selfish, but I'm a firm believer that if you're legitimately sick and not hung-over, etc. you should stay the heck home. I don't want your germs or getting myself and/or others sick too.
Good managers realize that people do get sick and they are able to make arrangements to fill your position in your absence.
One more note, FMLA only applies to employees who work more than 1250 hours a year.

Checkers

If I was in a position to take a day off without pay, I would have. I needed to work or we would have had that much less after payday. Sorry that I put my customers at risk that day, in hindsight, and all.

That's not true about Florida. Though we are a right to work state, MGMT still has to go through the same channels to fire someone here, as they do in any other state. If that was the case I may be known as, stevetheexupsguy, by now.

To everybody outside the state of New York, anything above New York City is UPSTATE :happy-very:

You tell em Heff! Living in NYC most of my life has taught me that, upstate is anything after the Bronx. You have The City, The Island and Upstate.

Checkers

You are eligible also for family leave if you have at least 3 years with the company and have worked a minimum of 625 hours in the past twelve months is eligible for up to 6 weeks unpaid FMLA leave.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You tell em Heff! Living in NYC most of my life has taught me that, upstate is anything after the Bronx. You have The City, The Island and Upstate.

Steve, for us Downstate is Albany and NYC may as well be another country for all we care. Upstate is basically anything north of I-90.

I have been to NYC twice. First time I was in college and went to visit a friend who was going to Columbia for the weekend. We rode the subway (drunk) and had a great time. The second time I was married and we were coming back from a family trip to Disney and missed the exit that takes you around NYC (Rt 17?) and ended up on I-87 in the Bronx where some guy with a very dirty bucket of water wanted $5 to make my windshield dirtier.

I will take living in the sticks over the city that never sleeps any day.

steeltoe

Checkers

Wrong. If you are a teamster represented employee, then they can not fire you without reason. FMLA also applies for part-timers as well. Read your contract.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I thought New York is where the Mobsters live and upstate is where they bury the bodies.

You have a point there.:wink2:

Steve, for us Downstate is Albany and NYC may as well be another country for all we care. Upstate is basically anything north of I-90.

I have been to NYC twice. First time I was in college and went to visit a friend who was going to Columbia for the weekend. We rode the subway (drunk) and had a great time. The second time I was married and we were coming back from a family trip to Disney and missed the exit that takes you around NYC (Rt 17?) and ended up on I-87 in the Bronx where some guy with a very dirty bucket of water wanted $5 to make my windshield dirtier.

I will take living in the sticks over the city that never sleeps any day.

Man oh man, you sure have a far line there. I love upstate, the area, not the person, LOL; though I would probably be friends with you in real life. I'm the kind of person that could live anywhere. I moved here from the Bronx in 1991, was chasing after my former wife and ended up staying here after the divorce. It was from the city to the boonies and now it seems like all of NY, NJ, MI, MA, OH has followed me.

non_bid_dawg

32 routes in 3 centers..
I had an instance where I was dog sick in early March..strep, sinus infection and a fever. I tried to call in 3 days running but got the ol' "we reeeally need you, we have a bunch of guys out on injury" guilt trip/harassment from on-road. Soooo, I sucked it and went to work ....
-Monday: Made it through but felt like the walking dead.
-Tuesday: Barely made it through, had to have a fellow driver bail me out otherwise I would have had missed business stops, and my throat ended up swollen shut and couldn't talk..at all.
-WEDNESDAY...day 3..left the building, delivered air, after my last air stop literally passed out in the back of my pkg car and one of my best/favourite customers called the center and told my on-road sup what had happened. I was then berated for coming to work in the first place by the same sup that had bullied me into coming in to begin with....
The moral of the story?
To hell with being a hero..if you're sick, you're sick.Stay the hell home. Looking back on it, I was a menace the three days I worked like that. What if I would have keeled over while driving a fully loaded 1300?