FedEX buying back Ground Routes

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, with most issues a case is built...but with theft it's pretty black and white, especially if it is caught on camera. There are no 2nd chances or Warning Letters for that, it's one of the Golden Rules you don't break.

I hardly sidestepped it, in fact I offered up an explanation that there may be some verbiage in the contract that if any issue of theft arises, FedEx has the right to disallow/terminate without the IC's permission. Just a possible explanation, but more than I have seen you offer up other than to assume the driver was terminated without cause/illegally.....when in reality neither you or I have any idea what the contract says.

You're right that I don't have the contract to refer to on this subject. What I do have is numerous Ground drivers who say that FedEx runs the operation...NOT the Ground contractors. They are threatened with discipline by FedEx TM's, not their "boss" (the contractor). Most of the time, the contractor isn't even on the premises, which also lends credibility to the accusation that FedEx people run the operation and that drivers are handled like employees.

FedExer267

You're right that I don't have the contract to refer to on this subject. What I do have is numerous Ground drivers who say that FedEx runs the operation...NOT the Ground contractors. They are threatened with discipline by FedEx TM's, not their "boss" (the contractor). Most of the time, the contractor isn't even on the premises, which also lends credibility to the accusation that FedEx people run the operation and that drivers are handled like employees.

I can tell you MFE what you assume is 100% accurate in my terminal and I have a pretty hard time believing it is not like that everywhere. I believe these managers are trained that way might explain why they all go to training to bad they can't use their training on the loaders.

DS

Fenderbender
I got curious about this rumor so I joined fedexaminer.com to see what they thought.
I only got a few responses to my question

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:38 pm
FedEX buying back Ground Routes
I read this on the browncafe.
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/fedex-buying-back-ground-routes-337412/
Is there any truth to it?

maplesyrup

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:51 pm
Re: FedEX buying back Ground Routes
maplesyrup wrote:
I read this on the browncafe.
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/fedex-buying-back-ground-routes-337412/
Is there any truth to it?

55 people have read this and not one response?
I think if it's true it's kinda important

workgoat

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:21 pm
someone heard a manager say something. not concerte enough. looks like they are trying isp. maybe express into contractors... nothing shows them buying back routes and making us empolyees.

bigpackage20

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 pm
what are they smoking out west ?.. Buying Routes...hahahaha

RGARPSman

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 pm
True
Ok, here is what I see:

1. It was inevitable, given the current contracting conditions at Ground.
2. Yes, the contractors who have protested, were the ones who precipated this possible change.
3. As my question has always been, "How many former and present contractors are going to become employees".

Open to other opinions and feedback.

CubanPete

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:37 pm
We have heard these rumors ever since fed ex bought RPS...tired of them.

brinchko

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:42 pm
My concern about a year ago was that FedEx had "recruiters" visit our hub. Of course, one would suspect that this was for peak, which it probably was for too.

But, IF FedEx recruiters were actually testing the waters and have determined that they would have no problem staffing hubs from the applications of people who will drive for FedEx at 10.15 per hour, then why not buyout contractors for an employee model. THey will hire twice the number of drivers that are now in the hub and still make money. AND there routes will be 8 hour day routes!

Not too many existing contractors will drive for the 10.15 per hour.

FedExer267

I find this kind of intresting. They are telling Contractors in my building that they cannot drive a route anymore that they need to hire on a driver and run THEIR business from outside of the truck. Is this the first move into FedEx buying out contractors? Makes you wonder.

So much for running your own business. That bus may be coming and they are getting ready to push you infront of it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I find this kind of intresting. They are telling Contractors in my building that they cannot drive a route anymore that they need to hire on a driver and run THEIR business from outside of the truck. Is this the first move into FedEx buying out contractors? Makes you wonder.

So much for running your own business. That bus may be coming and they are getting ready to push you infront of it.

Maybe, but it sounds more like they are modifying the ISP Model to make it more like an "independent" business, which it really isn't.

bbsam

Staff member

I have said before, either you have a horribly run building, or there is something lost in the translation between what is said and what is posted here. I posted in another thread that Missouri and Iowa are moving to ISP model. It's just a matter of time before it's nation-wide. And believe me. Once they start being "non-driving" contractors, they aren't gonna look back and say, "Damn I wish I was driving every day!" But if they do and they want to push the issue, they can. But when someone calls in sick, the owner had better have a backup plan in place. Fact is, as boring as a lot of my days can seem, it really is imperative that I be available when things start to come apart from time to time.

FedExer267

No argument here bbsam we know my building is ran well below par. I actually feel bad for this Contractor he is one of the good ones takes care of his guys. However he has enjoyed delievering his route and been doing it for a long time. If it is his business why does he need to get out of the truck?
He takes care of everything from the road. It is not like he has a monster route he is done every day before 100pm that leaves him plenty of time to do his thing. The route he is running is just a supplemental route with no pickups one of his other guys take care of it.
When ISP sweeps through are supplemental routes going to be a thing of the past?

bbsam

Staff member
Supplemental routes become a huge plus in the ISP model. In a way the tables are flipped and the ISP has the chance to document and show the need of the supplemental and in doing so justify it's being paid on par with contracted routes.

I was becoming a bit dubious that your terminal could be run so badly so I asked one of the management team at mine. In fact it seems that there are still crappy managers in the company. I really don't understand, though, because it is exactly that kind of management that brought about all the law-suits in the first place. If Fedex had just kept their own people in line, the whole issue may not have gotten out of hand the way it did. Our building has a lot of very independently minded contractors in it with a lot of years spent pushing back against the company so that helps also.

bbsam

Staff member
Sort of like a bunch of hyenas dashing in to snatch meat from lions, huh?

LOL. You could look at it that way. Or drivers could figure out how to empower themselves and shop their talents around. Either way it does look like the ISP model has alot to offer everybody involved.

FedExer267

I talked to that Contractor today and he is upset that he was told that he cant drive anymore. It could be a move towards ISP sure however that being said is their any mention of when it comes West? The reason I ask no one seems to know about it out here. Now I know I am in that strangeland of California as bbsam puts it however I find it odd no one has heard about it here.

bbsam

Staff member
First of all, they can't make him stop driving. They can yell and threaten but it is all paper tiger roaring. Sounds like it's about time someone stood up to management out there. The contractor or contractors could call contractor relations and simply ask about this change and find out that it's dead wrong. Wouldn't even have to file any kind of complaint.

As far as ISP goes, they keep it under wraps pretty well until the contractors are called in for an early morning meeting and shown a outlining their options. I had a feeling it was coming to Illinois because I witnessed a couple management staff at different times taking an online training course on the differences between an ISP and a contractor. Of course, that set the questions running abou why in Illinois Fedex would be trainging about something affecting a couple states on the East coast. Obvious answer: It's spreading nation-wide.

FedExer267

Well bbsam I am not sure if Contractors are standing up and making calls to Contractor Relations. I do know that they are telling Contractors that drive that they cant anymore. They want them all to hire new drivers for the routes they have been running. Apparently they are holding their Contracts over their heads again telling them their contracts will not be renewed if they do not meet this demand. I am wondering if this is a push into the whole ISP thing.
The truly funny thing is Contractors are trying to get new drivers in the door, however FedEx will not approve them because they have zero experience in our trade. The Experienced drivers are not applying because these guys want to pay 400 to 500 a week. The ones who have got in the door quit after a week. Our building is in total chaos right now. Just wondering what the plan is FedEx has up its sleeve.

bbsam

Staff member
Well bbsam I am not sure if Contractors are standing up and making calls to Contractor Relations. I do know that they are telling Contractors that drive that they cant anymore. They want them all to hire new drivers for the routes they have been running. Apparently they are holding their Contracts over their heads again telling them their contracts will not be renewed if they do not meet this demand. I am wondering if this is a push into the whole ISP thing.
The truly funny thing is Contractors are trying to get new drivers in the door, however FedEx will not approve them because they have zero experience in our trade. The Experienced drivers are not applying because these guys want to pay 400 to 500 a week. The ones who have got in the door quit after a week. Our building is in total chaos right now. Just wondering what the plan is FedEx has up its sleeve.

I would say the plan Fedex should have is to remove and replace the terminal staff.

fedexemp

My experience with this is that Express always builds a case before terminating someone. It's usually not an immediate termination, especially if the employee is a minority, because FedEx Legal doesn't want any more lawsuits, do they?

I noticed that you sidestepped the issue. How does FedEx fire a driver who is a non-employee? That's the contractor's problem. This is just another example of where the line was probably crossed by FedEx management. They run the show, and they know it, so who can blame them for acting like they're in command, because, after all, they are in command.

i am having this issue right now i had a complaint called in and a member of management decided to chsnge it to an "unreported accident" and ordered my isp to "get rid of her" i dont work for fed ex my paycheck comes from my isp. how should a "fed ex" manager have say over my contractor who wants me to stay?! should i talk to an attorney?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
i am having this issue right now i had a complaint called in and a member of management decided to chsnge it to an "unreported accident" and ordered my isp to "get rid of her" i dont work for fed ex my paycheck comes from my isp. how should a "fed ex" manager have say over my contractor who wants me to stay?! should i talk to an attorney?

This is such a perfect illustration of the way Ground really runs. FedEx (the corporation) runs the show, and the ISP is there for window dressing to make it all seem legit. Theoretically, you work for the contractor, but the corporate management is pulling the strings of the ISP puppet. Realistically, you are an employee of the Federal Express Corporation. bbsam is the expert on Ground here because he's an ISP himself, and he might have other strategies you can use other than an attorney.

Eventually, there will be enough cases like yours to make a change, which will probably come from a major lawsuit. Good luck battling FedEx to keep your job. Most attorneys will talk to you for 30 mins for free, and the ABA used to have a program where you could call their offices and set it up.

xfdxgroundmgmt

........ Ok I haven't read every thread on this subject but have skipped around from page 1 through 10, that being said I'm gonna add my 2 cents.

First off union vs non union, the union is like many large corporations these days and needs the "WORKERS" to pay for the EXECUTIVES, a lot of trucking company's have folded over the last 12 / 15 years that takes Big$$$$ out of the general fund of the union. If the union can tap Fedex, Walmart...... sure the pay at the companies would rise unless they end up shutting the doors................... again think trucking companies, car companies. etc...

Next I am not @ or with Fedex Ground anymore but the relationships I built are still very strong, people above me, below me, contractors as well as second van drivers............. As far as I am aware the I.S.P. Model is still going strong. And most ISP's if they are in fact a business person like it better than being a contractor, so we shall see how that turns out. ( However I do know that in the great white palace in Pittsburgh they were always running scenarios to reinvent the wheel).

Last at my last building we had 3 express stations that all ran lower service than our ground station on average............ our worst service in the 6 months prior to me leaving was 99.1 Real Service and we usually were between 99.4 - 99.7 Real Service, that takes into account all 28000 + packages in the building each day.

bbsam

Staff member
........ Ok I haven't read every thread on this subject but have skipped around from page 1 through 10, that being said I'm gonna add my 2 cents.

First off union vs non union, the union is like many large corporations these days and needs the "WORKERS" to pay for the EXECUTIVES, a lot of trucking company's have folded over the last 12 / 15 years that takes Big$$$$ out of the general fund of the union. If the union can tap Fedex, Walmart...... sure the pay at the companies would rise unless they end up shutting the doors................... again think trucking companies, car companies. etc...

Next I am not @ or with Fedex Ground anymore but the relationships I built are still very strong, people above me, below me, contractors as well as second van drivers............. As far as I am aware the I.S.P. Model is still going strong. And most ISP's if they are in fact a business person like it better than being a contractor, so we shall see how that turns out. ( However I do know that in the great white palace in Pittsburgh they were always running scenarios to reinvent the wheel).

Last at my last building we had 3 express stations that all ran lower service than our ground station on average............ our worst service in the 6 months prior to me leaving was 99.1 Real Service and we usually were between 99.4 - 99.7 Real Service, that takes into account all 28000 + packages in the building each day.
Out of curiosity why did you leave?