FedEX buying back Ground Routes

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I got one for ya..
I had route with a 1030 area, that fully surrounded a 1200 area(Imagine a Donut, and the Hole is the 1200 area)
I loved that route, it worked perfectly, didn't make sense to the folks in the hole, but it was the only way the route would work

oh yeah the "HOLE" had a different zip code too...

I love it.
My last rt. was just like that. Hole had a 1200 P1 and 1000 FO.
The surrounding city had 1030 P1 but, no FO available.
Bah ha ha ha

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ok...how about this. One of the extended areas I run is an 0830 FO commit but a 1200 P1 commit...

I don't understand their rationale on this, and it's obvious that they are confused and incapable of creating service commitments that make any sense. One would think that this is an area where engineers and managers could be held accountable for wasting company time and resources through inefficient commitment structuring. How about handing out OLCC's for incompetence?

How long have we had ROADS now, how much have we spent on it, and how many stations have it figured out? None that I know of. And who is responsible for setting up ROADS correctly...an engineer. I rest my case.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't understand their rationale on this, and it's obvious that they are confused and incapable of creating service commitments that make any sense. One would think that this is an area where engineers and managers could be held accountable for wasting company time and resources through inefficient commitment structuring. How about handing out OLCC's for incompetence?

How long have we had ROADS now, how much have we spent on it, and how many stations have it figured out? None that I know of. And who is responsible for setting up ROADS correctly...an engineer. I rest my case.

Between the engineers and the managers it's just a case of the blind leading the blind.

Nick9075

So I am looking at buying an existing ISP contract for a route that covers Greenwich CT. Cash flow for 2011 reported at 140K after expenses & salaries paid.

bbsam

Staff member
Closer to where exactly?? The price was reduced from 340K to 305K.. The 'numbers' are on the settlement sheets as long as I can tie back all the expenses such as lease payments, salaries, repairs, etc...
I would say look closer at the expense side. Scanner lease payments, frequency of vehicle replacement, unemployment insurance, raises. And don't look at the expenses at today's rate when thinking for the future. What kind of growth potential does the setup have right now? That is, if the company grew 20% in 3 years, how much more capital would you need to expend to cover the service area? One more truck and driver? Two? Or can it be absorbed with the resources in place? And if it can be, expect to pay your drivers more for doing more work.

And as operations grow, keep in mind that the "Oh crap," moments seem to increase as well. So many times running a business seems like it should go so smoothly and it rarely does. Don't get me wrong. I do like it. But I do spend alot of time planning, contemplating, and positioning for the next truck that breaks down, driver illness, driver family emergency, vacations, late freight, etc., and there is no guarantee that one or more of these things won't happen on the same day. And when they do happen, efficiency goes in the tank and the bottom line can suffer significantly, sometimes short term, sometimes long term.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I would say look closer at the expense side. Scanner lease payments, frequency of vehicle replacement, unemployment insurance, raises. And don't look at the expenses at today's rate when thinking for the future. What kind of growth potential does the setup have right now? That is, if the company grew 20% in 3 years, how much more capital would you need to expend to cover the service area? One more truck and driver? Two? Or can it be absorbed with the resources in place? And if it can be, expect to pay your drivers more for doing more work.

And as operations grow, keep in mind that the "Oh crap," moments seem to increase as well. So many times running a business seems like it should go so smoothly and it rarely does. Don't get me wrong. I do like it. But I do spend alot of time planning, contemplating, and positioning for the next truck that breaks down, driver illness, driver family emergency, vacations, late freight, etc., and there is no guarantee that one or more of these things won't happen on the same day. And when they do happen, efficiency goes in the tank and the bottom line can suffer significantly, sometimes short term, sometimes long term.

Good post.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Don't tell MFE. He still thinks I'm an employee.:wink2:

Despite MFE,
I appreciate your sage business advice on the Ground side of things.
I'm actually surprised that you hang out here and deal with all these posters that just slam Ground day after day.

Nick9075

I sent an email to the seller requesting that info. He did provide it and many of those things were discussed before. The financials show 4 drivers getting paid $700 a week, one helper at $530.

My question is that if it were so easy to clear $100,000 + a year with essentially 4-6 hours a day of work (managing the operation) why aren't more people getting into this

FedExGround

Nick,
Have an account look over the books and have a lawyer look over the FedEx contract and the buyer/seller agreement. Net income is almost always overstated. Ask the owner why he is selling. Retirement, cash for another business investment, or a medical situation are acceptable reasons to sell, but even if th business is not easy ask yourself who walks away from 100k + a year for even 25 hours of very hard work a week? I'm looking at a situation now where the owner is claiming 3k a week net and has a manager running the show and he still wants to sell. Also keep in mind that for the number of FedEx ground routes in the US a small number come up for sale.

bbsam

Staff member
Despite MFE,
I appreciate your sage business advice on the Ground side of things.
I'm actually surprised that you hang out here and deal with all these posters that just slam Ground day after day.
I view it as pennance for my voluntary acceptance of the evil model that is ruinning both th US and Fedex.

Nick9075

Nick,
Have an account look over the books and have a lawyer look over the FedEx contract and the buyer/seller agreement. Net income is almost always overstated. Ask the owner why he is selling. Retirement, cash for another business investment, or a medical situation are acceptable reasons to sell, but even if th business is not easy ask yourself who walks away from 100k + a year for even 25 hours of very hard work a week? I'm looking at a situation now where the owner is claiming 3k a week net and has a manager running the show and he still wants to sell. Also keep in mind that for the number of FedEx ground routes in the US a small number come up for sale.

The owner is moving to Florida and wants to sell quick for this relocation (as I was told). They put the sale on hold a few weeks back in December but dropped the price down now to around 300K. He is also willing to hold a note (seller financing) for around $35,000 over 2 years

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I view it as pennance for my voluntary acceptance of the evil model that is ruinning both th US and Fedex.

I appreciate you too, believe it or not. I slam Ground because of the way FedEx has it set-up, and not because of the ISP's or employees. I absolutely think that FedEx is an evil corporate entity, but I cannot blame you for Fred being a weasel of the highest order.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I appreciate you too, believe it or not. I slam Ground because of the way FedEx has it set-up, and not because of the ISP's or employees. I absolutely think that FedEx is an evil corporate entity, but I cannot blame you for Fred being a weasel of the highest order.

Pretty much obvious the way Smith has things set up that his number one agenda is to keep the union out. The managers will try to tell you otherwise. They're usually the weasel worshipers.