FedEX buying back Ground Routes

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
........ Ok I haven't read every thread on this subject but have skipped around from page 1 through 10, that being said I'm gonna add my 2 cents.

First off union vs non union, the union is like many large corporations these days and needs the "WORKERS" to pay for the EXECUTIVES, a lot of trucking company's have folded over the last 12 / 15 years that takes Big$$$$ out of the general fund of the union. If the union can tap Fedex, Walmart...... sure the pay at the companies would rise unless they end up shutting the doors................... again think trucking companies, car companies. etc...

Next I am not @ or with Fedex Ground anymore but the relationships I built are still very strong, people above me, below me, contractors as well as second van drivers............. As far as I am aware the I.S.P. Model is still going strong. And most ISP's if they are in fact a business person like it better than being a contractor, so we shall see how that turns out. ( However I do know that in the great white palace in Pittsburgh they were always running scenarios to reinvent the wheel).

Last at my last building we had 3 express stations that all ran lower service than our ground station on average............ our worst service in the 6 months prior to me leaving was 99.1 Real Service and we usually were between 99.4 - 99.7 Real Service, that takes into account all 28000 + packages in the building each day.

Isn't your service essentially getting it there on the right day? Your average Express station has multiple service commitments, for FO, PO, E2, and XS. Plus, there is even more complexity considering that the same station can have AA, AM, and PM service areas. Your "real service" isn't quite the same thing.

bbsam

Staff member
Real Service does, however, take into consideration all packages including those with RR1 addresses, businesses closed, bad addresses, everything including things we have no control over whatsoever. Under those conditions, 99.1 is pretty impressive.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

That sounds like mine 7....what gets me is this. There is a route on FO's at my station that does everything in the immediate vicinity of the station, all the stops are literally no more than 10 mins away and it has an 0830 commit. But the ones that have to drive 15-20 miles to get to their areas and go through massive amounts of traffic, have an 0800 commit.

And to top that off, there are a few zip codes that were 0830 until recently when they made it 0800, but you have to drive about 15 miles to the area.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That sounds like mine 7....what gets me is this. There is a route on FO's at my station that does everything in the immediate vicinity of the station, all the stops are literally no more than 10 mins away and it has an 0830 commit. But the ones that have to drive 15-20 miles to get to their areas and go through massive amounts of traffic, have an 0800 commit.

And to top that off, there are a few zip codes that were 0830 until recently when they made it 0800, but you have to drive about 15 miles to the area.

This only further proves that our illustrious engineers are nothing but a waste of money.

Couriers could have all this stuff figured out more accurately and much less costly.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I'll one you guys.
The P1 commit time right outside the front door of my sta. is 1200.
How you like that?

xfdxgroundmgmt

Isn't your service essentially getting it there on the right day? Your average Express station has multiple service commitments, for FO, PO, E2, and XS. Plus, there is even more complexity considering that the same station can have AA, AM, and PM service areas. Your "real service" isn't quite the same thing.
Sit at a market council meeting with 3 Express stations, one large ground station, one freight station and way too many Fedex Offices, plus all upper management and find out that the on time real service is better at the ground station see how everyone looks @ everyone else. Also what ever extra services are on the Express side give it that cost / production ratio. I am sure the numbers run through that building would go against most any building purple or brown, we also had the number one outbound Ground station and second best preload back to back fiscal years.

bbsam

Staff member
:onesmiley1:
Sit at a market council meeting with 3 Express stations, one large ground station, one freight station and way too many Fedex Offices, plus all upper management and find out that the on time real service is better at the ground station see how everyone looks @ everyone else. Also what ever extra services are on the Express side give it that cost / production ratio. I am sure the numbers run through that building would go against most any building purple or brown, we also had the number one outbound Ground station and second best preload back to back fiscal years.
LOL. I would love to sit in on that meeting...next to MFE! Of course it's all Memphis' fault.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
:onesmiley1:LOL. I would love to sit in on that meeting...next to MFE! Of course it's all Memphis' fault.

The problem is that he's comparing apples and oranges. Until Ground has a similar commitment structure, any comparisons about service are meaningless.

bbsam

Staff member
The problem is that he's comparing apples and oranges. Until Ground has a similar commitment structure, any comparisons about service are meaningless.
LOL. Yes, but you are the one always bad-mouthing Ground's service and commitments. I'm guessing that nobody in those meetings were bad-mouthing them. Probably trying to emulate them.

xfdxgroundmgmt

This is going to help the Ground grow some more as well.

Serves as a customer advocate with a focus on improving new customer activation, pickup performance and responsiveness to customer issues at assigned terminal(s). Communicates with various internal and external resources to ensure a positive pickup experience. Acts as a change agent for various stakeholder audiences and assists with CPC program implementation and process updates.
Essential Functions:
  • Provides outstanding, responsive service to internal and external customers and performs customer issue resolution within defined timelines.
  • Establishes new FedEx Ground scheduled and spot pickups, through communication and coordination with sales, external customers, contractors and terminal management to establish pick-up requirements, thus improving execution of pickup activation. Creates and maintains pickup files within designated system.
  • Reduces customer churn by contacting new shippers within defined timeframe to survey on experience of first scheduled pickup and follows up with appropriate departments (sales, terminal management, etc.) as necessary to ensure issue resolution and pickup performance improvement.
  • Helps provide an optimal pickup experience and ensure on-time pickups by communicating with Contractors and responding to inquiries and requests for help from the road.
  • Monitors defined customer service requests related to on-road packages and coordinates customer communication to Contractor/Driver for notification and response to status of inquiry (i.e., change package to hold for pickup, ETA to a pickup). Provides proactive notification of defined delivery/pickup exceptions. Investigates perceived missed pickup calls and facilitates resolution for the customer. Provides timely follow-up to customer on recovery/disposition, conducts root cause analysis and reports results.
  • Communicates changes to FedEx Ground CPC processes to impacted stakeholders, ensuring smooth implementation and desired return on investment.
  • Travels approximately 5% of time on job to assigned terminal(s) to build relationships and address or communicate priorities necessary to improve the pickup and customer experience.
  • Contacts customers with non-productive pickup status to reduce pickup costs.
  • Provides support for holiday pickup execution and contingency situations.

xfdxgroundmgmt

Last you guys always beat up on ground I know they have their problems but without Ground at this point look @ the bottom line

FedEx Express Segment

For the second quarter, the FedEx Express segment reported:
  • Revenue of $6.58 billion, up 10% from last year's $5.99 billion
  • Operating income of $342 million, up 30% from $264 million a year ago
  • Operating margin of 5.2%, up from 4.4% the previous year
FedEx Ground Segment
For the second quarter, the FedEx Ground segment reported:
  • Revenue of $2.34 billion, up 13% from last year's $2.08 billion
  • Operating income of $398 million, up 34% from $296 million a year ago
  • Operating margin of 17.0%, up from 14.3% the previous year

SmithBarney

I'll one you guys.
The P1 commit time right outside the front door of my sta. is 1200.
How you like that?

I got one for ya..
I had route with a 1030 area, that fully surrounded a 1200 area(Imagine a Donut, and the Hole is the 1200 area)
I loved that route, it worked perfectly, didn't make sense to the folks in the hole, but it was the only way the route would work

oh yeah the "HOLE" had a different zip code too...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I got one for ya..
I had route with a 1030 area, that fully surrounded a 1200 area(Imagine a Donut, and the Hole is the 1200 area)
I loved that route, it worked perfectly, didn't make sense to the folks in the hole, but it was the only way the route would work

FedEx "logic" at work. Down is up and left is right, except on Tuesdays.

LTFedExer

I got one for ya..

That is weird....but FedEx doesn't assign the zip codes, only commit times to the zip codes.