Fedex getting "grounded"?

FAVREFAN

Is this for ups? If so take the amount of ground we deliver in a year and plug it into the 2% growth and realize its really not too shabby.

Favr, we keep hearing about dhl, bla bla, how they are taking us down, get real they are doing very poorly over here, so I really dont see your point. You have to understand, our kind of business does have lots of competition, but there are other sectors of the economy where it is flooded with competition. Ups continues to have record profit AND RECORD AMOUNTS OF PACKAGES BEING SHIPPED. If this number was dropping quarter after quarter, yes I would be worried, but that is not true..look it up. Ups wants it all to themselves, there have been issues in the past about this and yes this is good for our jobs, no other company out there brainwashes their people into the "doomsday" effect more than ups does.
First off. I'm not saying DHL is bringing us down. I'm just saying they aren't going anywhere. They will stick around. Second, I don't "have to understand" anything about our business.....you need to apparently because you are not listening to what UPS/CNBC are reporting. So why don't you "look it up" yourself?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
but here in the midwest we are not being affected like other parts of the country are right now

That's true. My family lives in Northern Illinois. My Dad and I talked economics the other day and he said that the economy is still firing on all eight cylinders in Illinois. He said a sales guy he knows told him that the recession is here but we (the consumer) are refusing to participate. Strange, I know. -Rocky

Coldworld

60 months and counting
First off. I'm not saying DHL is bringing us down. I'm just saying they aren't going anywhere. They will stick around. Second, I don't "have to understand" anything about our business.....you need to apparently because you are not listening to what UPS/CNBC are reporting. So why don't you "look it up" yourself?

You really arent reading what Im saying, now stop and read, Im not saying that the economy is doing super right now. I know it is leveling out..but ups is in a better seat than dhl and fedex, what dont you understand about that? There have been other years like this and the volume and the profits at the end of the year have been higher than the year before, what dont you understand about that..huh? And do you really believe everything either this company, or the media tells you? They are saying thing are slowing down, not dropping out from under us.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Maybe the problem with the economy is greedy companies who want the billions of dollars of profit, but then are willing to do less than honest things to get there, then when the bottom drops out, they are left asking themselves, what happen. Sorry, b of a, or chase, when you give someone a loan for 400,000 dollars for a house and they only make 45,000 a year something is totally wrong. The economy is too much reliant and focused on consumer spending that when we slow down buying stuff the whole economy starts to suffer.

Cold consumer spending IS the economy. Sure there are other factors, but the bottom line is consumer spending.

The problem here is that when UPS (or any other large company) says that we are in trouble because the economy is flattening out is fear mongering. A 2% growth is still growth. Being a public traded company creates the need to put hope into stock buyers to encourage them to buy our stock instead of General Electric of GM. The method to encourage that is to project expected growth that will raise the value of our stocks, then they have to come up with some kind of reason when the growth wasn't as large as predicted. The CFO of UPS (as well as other companies) is sure not beyond stretching the truth from time to time to create movement. The media? HA! They just tell us what they want us to hear.

FAVREFAN

You really arent reading what Im saying, now stop and read, Im not saying that the economy is doing super right now. I know it is leveling out..but ups is in a better seat than dhl and fedex, what dont you understand about that? There have been other years like this and the volume and the profits at the end of the year have been higher than the year before, what dont you understand about that..huh? And do you really believe everything either this company, or the media tells you? They are saying thing are slowing down, not dropping out from under us.
You don't read what anyone is saying here. Don't misrepresent me.

bugman74

My trip is an upscale mall in Atlantic City (that seems very funny to anyone that has been to AC), anyway I am there from 11 am to about 5 everyday. The big purple and green truck used to get there around 1:30-2:00 everyday, now he gets there around 3:30 and his truck is empty and he hardly picks up what he used to. My truck is not as full as last year, but summer is coming and that is like Christmas at other malls.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have noticed a drop in the number of Tractor trailers and delivery trucks in my area. In the past as soon as the tax returns came out this improved. Time will tell.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So we all feel that the economy is not doing so good, there have been other posts stating that many areas are doing "fair" considering. This is a post to everybody on here that felt like I was misrepresenting what people were saying...not true. I was trying to say two things, first ups, at least in my neck of the woods they never gave us any reasonable numbers on volume, even when volume has been up, they have been known to cut out routes..they keep us in the dark, they dont seen to discuss volume numbers, churn, or what ever with us, its only get volume, volume volume. As has been said MANY times on here, take care of the customers we have now, then focus on new packages. They cut out a few routes for the last few days, said it was good friday spring break.....it was not true. One driver had 20 nda late he was doing his route them 1/2 of another...how the hell is this good for the customer. So we want more, but cut out routes, then screw 20 customers by having shet service, especially on the premium services that make us the most money, anyone care to explain? So its not always the ecomony thats screwing us, its ourselves. I have always respected what everyone on here has to say, I have been on here for many years, started on the "old" forum, but I dont have to agree with anyone on here, and I know everyone else can do the same thing.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I think the center manager has their hands tied when a directive comes from above for each center to cut routes and expenses. The net result is somebody has to suffer. It's even worse now that us pkg drivers are asked to deal with the brunt of these cutbacks by over-exceeding our workload and questioned why can't we finish your route in 9.5.

W

westsideworma

So we all feel that the economy is not doing so good, there have been other posts stating that many areas are doing "fair" considering. This is a post to everybody on here that felt like I was misrepresenting what people were saying...not true. I was trying to say two things, first ups, at least in my neck of the woods they never gave us any reasonable numbers on volume, even when volume has been up, they have been known to cut out routes..they keep us in the dark, they dont seen to discuss volume numbers, churn, or what ever with us, its only get volume, volume volume. As has been said MANY times on here, take care of the customers we have now, then focus on new packages. They cut out a few routes for the last few days, said it was good friday spring break.....it was not true. One driver had 20 nda late he was doing his route them 1/2 of another...how the hell is this good for the customer. So we want more, but cut out routes, then screw 20 customers by having shet service, especially on the premium services that make us the most money, anyone care to explain? So its not always the ecomony thats screwing us, its ourselves. I have always respected what everyone on here has to say, I have been on here for many years, started on the "old" forum, but I dont have to agree with anyone on here, and I know everyone else can do the same thing.

They say our volume is down, but we're doing pretty close to what we were before peak. Maybe off by 1000 or so packages on some days but divided by 125 drivers that doesn't necessitate the mass panic that seems to be taking place at my center about hours. I mean I know less volume is bad for the company but cutting routes left and right, overloading preloaders (for the amount of time given) just causes service failures and causes drivers to be out longer costing more money (not that I'm against them making their $$). I've never been able to figure out why they won't give preloaders more time to get the job done right instead of pushing them to the brink. They pay for it two times over with drivers on OT rate as a result of servicing a misload (or meeting another driver) and the price of fuel to run the gas hogs known as package cars.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
All I know is that, no matter wht the economy does or does not do, our buiding is STILL overcrowded, we STILL dont have enough package cars and we STILL dont have enough drivers. And that will never change.

pretzel_man

They say our volume is down, but we're doing pretty close to what we were before peak. Maybe off by 1000 or so packages on some days but divided by 125 drivers that doesn't necessitate the mass panic that seems to be taking place at my center about hours. I mean I know less volume is bad for the company but cutting routes left and right, overloading preloaders (for the amount of time given) just causes service failures and causes drivers to be out longer costing more money (not that I'm against them making their $$). I've never been able to figure out why they won't give preloaders more time to get the job done right instead of pushing them to the brink. They pay for it two times over with drivers on OT rate as a result of servicing a misload (or meeting another driver) and the price of fuel to run the gas hogs known as package cars.

Volume is down nationwide. The management commitee sent out a few memos telling everyone to look at how to cut costs. This has everyone's attention.

Davis and Kuehn have already told the investors that we will miss our first quarter estimates.

I'm sure Davis wants to announce that even though volume is down, we have reduced costs accordingly.

P-Man

Griff

Volume is down nationwide. The management commitee sent out a few memos telling everyone to look at how to cut costs. This has everyone's attention.

Davis and Kuehn have already told the investors that we will miss our first quarter estimates.

I'm sure Davis wants to announce that even though volume is down, we have reduced costs accordingly.

P-Man

No kidding. I expect the next roll of DR bags I get from the office to be paper towels or perhaps toilet paper. I had to steal a roll from the empty split truck of the nice and thick plastic our customers used to enjoy.

DS

Fenderbender
DHL is doing ok in Canada,they pick up 3 pkgs,we get the other 350.
The DHL deiver in my area is a nice guy,one day I was walking in a recieving door with a good handful of boxes,and he says to me(in jest) ,
hurry up man,youre costing me money,I said NO! you go first, you are making me money.The fedex ground dude where I am is a nice fella too,he flagged me down awhile back and asked me if I would take a ups pkg he found in his load,I said of course,like he thought I might say no/?
Weve lost quite a few accounts to fedex ground,mostly heavy domestic shippers.Our biggest enemy up here is purolator.They are owned by the post office,which is owned by the government.Recently a huge security company with armoured cars moved into my area.I did the pickup for two weeks,and it was a very interesting experience with skids of gold bars and guys with shotguns ,but purolator jumped in with lower rates as this was only for domestic shipments of money boxes ,bags,etc.
Our pcm's are all about international sales leads,and in my opinion we are losing ground by letting them have it because it costs too much.
IMO if we concentrated more on customers and less on the cost involved,in the end thier confidence in us as the most reliable service offered will be noted and remembered by them.Sorry if I went on and on and tethered away from the main topic.

FAVREFAN

P-Man
Never judge how well or bad the company is doing by your own particular area. This post above is what we should be focusing on if we are talking about the company as a whole. The company has lower numbers. Isn't that where this started? Our volume vs. Fedex volume. Volume is down whether your hub is slammed or not. Good post Pretzel.

1timepu

Have insider information, if Fedex keeps losing lawsuits involving the contractors, they have lost already in Ca., Mich,. and Mass. Fedex will unload the ground as it cannot sustian losing the lawsuit's and keep operating, also Deutsche Post is trying to unload DHL. This is only great news for us.