feeling abused and not sure what happens after holidays

bbsam

Staff member
I started working in August as a full time driver and was told after 60 days, we all become UPS employees and our probation is over. Well, that never happened. Instead, we're told, they're going to make a decision after the holidays. I've been busting my ass working almost 50+ hours a week with no days off and everything is so up in the air right now. I honestly think they're looking for excuses to get rid of me by intentionally :censored2:ing up my truck, throwing boxes everywhere and giving me packages on purpose outside of my route so I finish late and then have to get yelled at upon returning. Man, the :censored2:ing job is easy, its just that this company beyond toxic and :censored2:ed up. Is it possible, that after busting my ass, the last 4 months with the expectation of becoming a ups employee with actual days off and vacation that they could just throw some of us away? I mean, I know the obvious quick answer is going to be OF COURSE THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. I've been in no accidents, never missed a day in the last four months, NEVER SAID NO TO ANYTHING, but yet I feel like it was all for nothing. Has anyone gone through this mental torture with this company during your first 4 or 5 months? YES, I DO COME BACK LATE SOMETIMES BECAUSE THEY @#$@#$@$ UP gosh darn TRUCK SOMETIMES, THROWING BOXES ALL OVER THE PLACE THAT IT TAKES ME TIME ORGANIZE IT. I SWEAR TO GOD, I THINK THEY DO THIS ON PURPOSE. MY TRUCK THE OTHER DAY WAS AN ABSOLUTE ABOMINATION THAT YOU LITERALLY HAD TO SCREW IT UP ON PURPOSE. TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIND ANY PACKAGES SO YEAH, I WAS LATE A FEW TIMES. THERE IS ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY ON ANY OF THE PACKAGE HANDLERS, ITS SO ANNOYING. SOMETIMES I THINK THE MANAGERS PURPOSELY GO IN THERE AND TELL THEM TO MESS IT UP WHICH IS EVEN WORSE.

KoennenTiger

I started working in August as a full time driver and was told after 60 days, we all become UPS employees and our probation is over. Well, that never happened. Instead, we're told, they're going to make a decision after the holidays. I've been busting my ass working almost 50+ hours a week with no days off and everything is so up in the air right now. I honestly think they're looking for excuses to get rid of me by intentionally :censored2:ing up my truck, throwing boxes everywhere and giving me packages on purpose outside of my route so I finish late and then have to get yelled at upon returning. Man, the :censored2:ing job is easy, its just that this company beyond toxic and :censored2:ed up. Is it possible, that after busting my ass, the last 4 months with the expectation of becoming a ups employee with actual days off and vacation that they could just throw some of us away? I mean, I know the obvious quick answer is going to be OF COURSE THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. I've been in no accidents, never missed a day in the last four months, NEVER SAID NO TO ANYTHING, but yet I feel like it was all for nothing. Has anyone gone through this mental torture with this company during your first 4 or 5 months? YES, I DO COME BACK LATE SOMETIMES BECAUSE THEY @#$@#$@$ UP gosh darn TRUCK SOMETIMES, THROWING BOXES ALL OVER THE PLACE THAT IT TAKES ME TIME ORGANIZE IT. I SWEAR TO GOD, I THINK THEY DO THIS ON PURPOSE. MY TRUCK THE OTHER DAY WAS AN ABSOLUTE ABOMINATION THAT YOU LITERALLY HAD TO SCREW IT UP ON PURPOSE. TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIND ANY PACKAGES SO YEAH, I WAS LATE A FEW TIMES. THERE IS ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY ON ANY OF THE PACKAGE HANDLERS, ITS SO ANNOYING. SOMETIMES I THINK THE MANAGERS PURPOSELY GO IN THERE AND TELL THEM TO MESS IT UP WHICH IS EVEN WORSE.

Look bro preload sucks you're lucky if they can even get the boxes near the correct shelf. Sorting your own truck is normal. Misloads are normal for those of us with a garbage preloader I've been getting two to ten a day for the last year since my old good preloader was harassed off the job by the tards we call mngmt.

I dunno what your seasonal period is here if you were hired in August you could not be seasonal. Also here, no idea if this is local or national, mngmt can only hire one guy from outside the company for every six guys they promote from inside.

You want to be a driver? Then get your buns into the warehouse or hub and start exactly where all the rest of us did. Put your name on the driver's list and wait for your turn. You've got experience so hopefully you won't get DQed your first time in packet.

If you're a good worker even if they don't or can't hire you off the street tell them you'd love to work preload. Get a second job during the day and put your time in like everyone else did.

Days

I know it’s crazy but it’s possible that you’ve been busting your ass for nothing. I think the sups can be oblivious to things so unless you get in an accident or mess things up majorly, they probably aren’t even paying any attention to you.

That’s kind of how UPS works. I’m pretty sure the computer system they have automatically sets your route up and gives you stops based on what time you’ve been finishing. So it’s possible for them to overload your truck with volume without them even knowing about it.

AwashBwashCwash

MY TRUCK THE OTHER DAY WAS AN ABSOLUTE ABOMINATION THAT YOU LITERALLY HAD TO SCREW IT UP ON PURPOSE. TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIND ANY PACKAGES SO YEAH, I WAS LATE A FEW TIMES. THERE IS ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY ON ANY OF THE PACKAGE HANDLERS, ITS SO ANNOYING. SOMETIMES I THINK THE MANAGERS PURPOSELY GO IN THERE AND TELL THEM TO MESS IT UP WHICH IS EVEN WORSE.

This is exactly why they shouldn't hire drivers off the street.
You have no idea what working on preload is like.

quad decade guy

Your post made me smile. Welcome to our world. I could tell stories but you covered it thoroughly.

Off peak will settle down and be somewhat better. Getting a regular route(even if it's ghetto) will

give you a sense of routine. That's the key-organized chaos. Keep in mind, whatever you do,

it will never be "good enough". This(all of your ranting) will never change. Tattoo that on your

forehead to see everyday. Get a 2 TA feeder run and most(not all) of your problems will

go away. Get to feeders asap.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
That's one of the reasons why I didn't cross over to the brownie side...bricked out with no sense in organization

They expect you to dig for every package at a stop, wasting time???

Thank goodness I preload my own cargo before I head out on route

New definition of a "good" load

That's b.s. of the new definition of a good load

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
i make sure i put eregs on the top shelf, all the labels facing down and every air on the floor in the back

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
DSC_0230.JPG

Yup, my eregs (iCs in eggplant speak <incompatible s>) gets strapped outta my way & my whole truck is in stop order

Ghost in the Darkness

Working at ups you need to find the right state of mind. Paid to exercise is how I see it. Put yourself first because nobody else will. Take you lunch and break and give a good effort each day. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.
It is toxic, you need to find ways to avoid stress and decompress or it will get to you fast. Don't be a hero and choose your battles.... not everything is worth fighting about.

Indecisi0n

The use of all caps is strictly prohibited here. Please fix the lower half of you reply within 24 hours. Thank you for your candor.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Your post made me smile. Welcome to our world. I could tell stories but you covered it thoroughly.

Off peak will settle down and be somewhat better. Getting a regular route(even if it's ghetto) will

give you a sense of routine. That's the key-organized chaos. Keep in mind, whatever you do,

it will never be "good enough". This(all of your ranting) will never change. Tattoo that on your

forehead to see everyday. Get a 2 TA feeder run and most(not all) of your problems will

go away. Get to feeders asap.
Good luck

With all

That

Griff

Since driving is a bore and relaxing, you should think about taking your services into UPS management. They, clearly, need all the help they can get.

iruhnman630

Its seasonal, but they promised all 3 of us that if we just did our job, never called out, no accidents and did good work, we would become full time employees with all the benefits and perks of a full time employee. I just feel like they've lied and abused us. My start date was August 1st. I mean, I never called out one time
They always say that.

But if you started Aug 1st, even if as a seasonal, then you worked in two seasonal periods, summer and peak.

You just might be in, but dont expect to work much from for the next few months.

Welcome to the senselessness we call ups

Zowert

Your truck isn’t being ruined on purpose. Chances are you have seasonal loaders with very little training or guidance. The turnover rate is so high in preload, meaning you’re often getting people on their first, second, third day that have no idea what they’re doing. Miss-loads are common during peak when the volume is high. It is what it is, just do the best you can.

As for your other concern, it certainly sounds like they’re using you for peak and intend on laying you off when the volume dips. Talk to your shop steward about this, he/she will run over your options with you.