Fight the War against Misloads in 2012

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If the loader took the time to read and compare, he/she would get yelled at for taking to long. Can't win no matter what we do

It amazes me to NO end that our pre loaders who are making $10-11 an hour are insanely rushed to be off the clock in 4 hours or less,and a result of this pressure are mistakes are made that I have to correct whilst I make $45 an hour on OT. Last week I had a NDA saver (NDA is run at the very end of the sort,when the pressure to get the PT's off the clock is the most intense) that was misloaded on me and was 2 counties away. I made service on it,and I estimate I made over 2 1/2 hours of OT from that single package.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It amazes me to NO end that our pre loaders who are making $10-11 an hour are insanely rushed to be off the clock in 4 hours or less,and a result of this pressure are mistakes are made that I have to correct whilst I make $45 an hour on OT. Last week I had a NDA saver (NDA is run at the very end of the sort,when the pressure to get the PT's off the clock is the most intense) that was misloaded on me and was 2 counties away. I made service on it,and I estimate I made over 2 1/2 hours of OT from that single package.

Driver hours are on one report, preload hours on another. Never the twain shall meet.

Kis124

" If scanners could get the PAL stickers on the right package and I could just look at the PAL then it'd be much easier, but they can't".

Have you seen the equipment we are given to use? I am a SPA person with maybe 1 or 2 out of syncs a month. Labels stick, printers are junk...the SPA guns malfunction every 5 minutes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just a little preload unload insight ... they are so smashed in the unload, that they have even less time to compare labels than the preloaders do, if you can possibly imagine that. Trust me, the unload is a gosh darn nightmare, on par with belt/boxline. So, it sucks all around, is what I'm trying to say.
The new(er) hand held devices are actually worse, since 1/5 of the ink is unreadable. Sure, it helps with out-of-syncs and misses in a secondary area, but all it takes is one scanner smudged, dirty, broken cartridge...etc.

DS

Fenderbender
First of all,Mr SOCKS,it's nice to hear from you again!
Sounds to me like you are on a mission from God to eradicate misloads.
I wish you well in your endeavour .If successful,your name will displayed
along with all the other big shots by creating the worlds first perfect delivery service.
how's this sound...Jim Casey,Scott Davis UPSSOCKS

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

At UPS, it is perfectly acceptable to spend $500 in order to save a nickel as long as the nickel shows up on your report and you can make the $500 show up on someone elses.

You see, UPS isnt actually one company. Instead, it is a huge conglomeration of underfunded and overstressed individual fiefdoms whose "managers" are only concerned with one thing; covering their own asses. The #1 rule of corporate survival is that if you cant make yourself look better on a report, then you had better find a way to make an internal rival look worse. Actually solving problems requires teamwork and the willingess to take risks; the safer play is to focus on assigning blame instead.

The preload managers job is not to set the drivers up to succeed. That is the center manager's problem. The preload managers job is to generate the PPH metric that is being demanded of him by his superiors. Generate the metric, and all is right with the world; the fact that drivers are costing $45 an hour on OT to shag misloads is someone elses problem.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
At UPS, it is perfectly acceptable to spend $500 in order to save a nickel as long as the nickel shows up on your report and you can make the $500 show up on someone elses.

You see, UPS isnt actually one company. Instead, it is a huge conglomeration of underfunded and overstressed individual fiefdoms whose "managers" are only concerned with one thing; covering their own asses. The #1 rule of corporate survival is that if you cant make yourself look better on a report, then you had better find a way to make an internal rival look worse. Actually solving problems requires teamwork and the willingess to take risks; the safer play is to focus on assigning blame instead.

The preload managers job is not to set the drivers up to succeed. That is the center manager's problem. The preload managers job is to generate the PPH metric that is being demanded of him by his superiors. Generate the metric, and all is right with the world; the fact that drivers are costing $45 an hour on OT to shag misloads is someone elses problem.

You really should consider being a science fiction or mystery writer when you retire.
I think you would be good at it.

Galactic Conspiracies by Soberman Ex-UPS

turdburglar

Too all management out there. Misloads are a big part of our life. We talk about them everyday, we hear about the everyday, yet we still continue to have misloads. If a union employee was loading a trailer/car that had one of their personal packages going in to, do you think they would misload it? Absolutely not so why misload at all? Actually is there really any reason besides a data issue that a package should be misloaded? Misloads are very easy to fix. I encourage everyone of you to discipline to fight the war against misloads. Do not accept misloads at any frequency! For every misload received document and sit down with a shop steward to talk about. If the workers want to keep their jobs misloads will go away! This will be tough at first but you will notice results within weeks.

Post some stories about what we can do to fight misloads. Give each other ideas. Maybe we are doing something in MESTX that we can start doing in WORMA. Once I was in GVICA and I met a guy that would audit his employees loads before the shift even started. The employees started everyday pulling out audits and they ending up going over 200k without a misload!!!!

If anything going after a goal makes your jobs more fun and the day go by quicker. It can even make the jobs fun for the employees. Eventually you won't have to discipline anymore.

Fight Misloads!!
I had never been a misload problem in the past, and can honestly say that I have loaded for a year straight without misloads, while following MY methods (the full-time supervisor at the time said as much at a PCM). Recently, since management wants to make my job harder by over-supervising me for filing grievances, they have been pushing the methods on me, and they have been documenting every misload I have had since (which was only one, which was an out-of-sync package). Following the methods properly takes time. If management would not push production to the detriment of service, I am sure that every preloader would be able to get 0 misloads, day in and day out.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

You really should consider being a science fiction or mystery writer when you retire.
I think you would be good at it.

Galactic Conspiracies by Soberman Ex-UPS

I wish this was fiction.

I have had a front row seat to a UPS operation for 25 years now. I have been thru at least 10 center managers, 8 or 9 Division managers, and more on road and preload sups than I can even count. The faces come and go but the underlying problems remain the same. It might seem like fiction from an IT office in Atlanta, but in the real world of UPS operations it is the unchanging reality.

packageguy

First: I never said the preloader is the root cause of them.
second: I've not had the opportunity to be a preloader but I have had the chance to work as preload management.
Third: Discipline is the solution!!!

Now here's what you don't understand. Outside of the center you work in exist other UPS facilities. Misloads occur on all levels and in some cases multiple people are responsible. If you read my post I state "Actually is there really any reason besides a data issue that a package should be misloaded?" Do you understand what a data issue is? Could an error in PAS be a data issue? If so then I am acknowledging PAS could be a cause of misloads.

So it's ok to say I don't know what causes misloads but your follow up stinks because you do not know what causes misloads. The fact you are trying to justify the existence of misloads makes me think you may be one of the causes of them.

I know you management people don't want to hear this, but I watch part-time supervisors throw packages in the truck when you hear wrap it up. ground is down, I been in my truck putting my bag on the self, packages come flying in, there the partime supervisor, standing right there. You can't make this up.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I know you management people don't want to hear this, but I watch part-time supervisors throw packages in the truck when you hear wrap it up. ground is down, I been in my truck putting my bag on the self, packages come flying in, there the partime supervisor, standing right there. You can't make this up.

I am sure that there is a perfectly logistical explanation for that.

We ask are DM why dont we bid the shuttle car as a bid for all are misloads.
I think we all know the answer to that one. That would take alot of money out of my pocket (Grievances)
Our Center Manager and Sups have to use there own cars now to shuttle,they have all had accidents.

UPS1907

We ask are DM why dont we bid the shuttle car as a bid for all are misloads.
I think we all know the answer to that one. That would take alot of money out of my pocket (Grievances)
Our Center Manager and Sups have to use there own cars now to shuttle,they have all had accidents.

Why would anyone move misloads in their own cars? I guess I would do it if they paid me mileage, but we all know that's not happening. Bad MIP, small or no raises. My center just doesn't move them. I have yet to see a supervisor / manager fired over misloads. I live how UPS acts like they have 20 people lined up to take my job when we can't fill empty management positions now.