Filed on driver working through Vacation.....do I get paid?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well, two weeks ago I bid to run a route while the bid driver was on vacation. He tried to bump me two days, but only did once. So I filed the grievance yesterday for bumping me to work through his vacation.....what will be the penalty to the company for this?

Just curious

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This guy was on vacation and they allowed him to work and bump you in the process? Your grievance should be for the hours that he worked.

We used to be able to work our vacations but never if it meant a driver would be laid off as a result. Upstate NY has not allowed drivers to work their vacations for a few years now. I agree with this 100%.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Correct. It was the week of Memorial Day, and he had worked it out with our boss to allow him to work Tues - Thurs. Well on Tuesday the preload was done early and by the time he showed up to work I was already on the road. The funny part is that this driver is terrible on his bid route....anytime he runs it he needs help and has late airs and savers and they allowed him to work over me who runs that route so well that I often have a 2 hour lunch between delivery and pickup.

It seems that my center is the only one in our hub that still allows it but they don't allow everyone to do it which I find to be ridiculous. Either everyone should be able to do it, or no one should be able to.

I wasn't laid off, but I got bumped onto split trucks and just ran garbage instead of a sweet route

Nimnim

The Nim
If no one was laid off, I don't know if the grievance will win. If someone was laid off because you were bumped to another route it has a better chance.

Edit: I definitely agree though, everyone or no one. Apply policy evenly or it holds no weight.

JonFrum

Is working through your vacation an actual Contract violation? What specific language does it violate? To be a valid grievance there must be a specific Contract violation.

And what remedy, if any, does the Contract provide? Sometimes, even if it is a violation, there is no actual penalty provided.

brownelf

working through your vacation is not a contract violation where I'm at. But as in SB63's case you are put at the bottom of senority list for week and work whatever route is left w/ no rights to bump the coverage guy on your own route. Any violation would be under seniority, but only if the coverage driver was bumped by the driver working through his vacation.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In the Central We have had cover drivers win grievances if they were laid off and someone worked thru their vacation. They were paid for all the hours worked by the driver that was to be on vacation. You will not get any pay if you worked the week that is in question, however if any other driver was laid off during those days they could get paid the actual time worked.

brett636

I imagine you will get paid for the hours he worked since he bumped you while he was supposed to be on vacation. In my department anyone who wants to work through their vacation can, but they have to be at the bottom of the call list in order to be able to work. I simply don't believe in working a vacation. I have yet to do so and as far as I'm concerned it will stay that way.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Well, I am of a different opinion on this. I have been pulled upstairs a couple of times by the labor sup in our area because I worked 54-56 weeks in a year, technically. He told me I can't. I told him I was working as directed and WILL CONTINUE as long as my center manager asked me to. That was allowed a couple more years. Finally, as Upstate says, the labor sup came up with the bright idea of having the DM order my center manager and, apparently everyone else in our area, to stop this practice.

Sometimes, I know its hard to believe, people would rather be at work than at home. Lesser of two evils, shall we say. So, if my center manager wants me to work through a vaca, and IF I feel like it, I will help him out. Don't be mad because THEY allow me or someone else to make a few extra bucks. Get mad at the one who is dividing and conquering.

menotyou

bella amicizia
And, let me add this. I never bumped anyone from a position their were promised to work. I worked my regular position that would have, :winks:, gone unfilled. (Yeah, right. a sup would have worked)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We were told that they are not going to pay us twice--once for the vacation and second for working the vacation. Makes sense.

I have worked during my vacations on several occasions. I had no plans and the extra money was nice.

bigbrownhen

If there was work, be it the route you wanted or a junk route, you got to work. What are you complaining about? You wanted to burn up a route and be in early?

Now, if you or someone with lower seniority who didn't get to work, then I can see the point. Just because you didn't get to run what you wanted, too bad.

tracker2762

I think if my home life got to the point that where I'd rather work than be there, I think it would time for a change. Please don't use the money excuse either, you should be able to survive on 80 grand.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If there was work, be it the route you wanted or a junk route, you got to work. What are you complaining about? You wanted to burn up a route and be in early?

Now, if you or someone with lower seniority who didn't get to work, then I can see the point. Just because you didn't get to run what you wanted, too bad.

I'm not complaining that I had to run crap, I'm complaining because I BID to run his route while he was off and that bid was not honored. If you're going to bother putting routes up for bid, then the highest seniority cover driver needs to run it, bottom line. Otherwise there should be no reason to ever put anything up for bid.

I'm not against the idiot....I mean, driver working his vacation. If you would rather work then hang with your family at the beach (loser??) then thats fine by me, but YOU should not be able to kick me off of what I bid to work. If you're on vacation you are not the driver on your bid route, you should be made to run garbage if you choose to work.

I can understand working through your vacation if (due to injuries/comp) the allowed vacation schedule leave too many holes in the staffing, but short of that it should NOT be allowed

And to be honest, I'm not sure if anyone below me who wanted to work did not get to, I didn't look into that aspect of it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you go in Monday morning ask for a copy of the operations report for the week in question. If you see any cover drivers laid off let them know so that they can file a grievance. The only grievance that you may be able to file is if the driver who was supposed to be on vacation worked more hours than you did.

ymelord

When you go in Monday morning ask for a copy of the operations report for the week in question. If you see any cover drivers laid off let them know so that they can file a grievance. The only grievance that you may be able to file is if the driver who was supposed to be on vacation worked more hours than you did.
We have a winner, this is the correct answer.