Filed on driver working through Vacation.....do I get paid?

ymelord

Your a little behind, I basically said the same thing in my first reply. Therefore I am really the winner!!

Technically upstate still wins, it’s about the hours he was cheated out of the opportunity to work, if you would have been on that route or any other route that ups refused to let you run that his seniority allows him to bump and got more hours.

packageguy

This guy was on vacation and they allowed him to work and bump you in the process? Your grievance should be for the hours that he worked.

We used to be able to work our vacations but never if it meant a driver would be laid off as a result. Upstate NY has not allowed drivers to work their vacations for a few years now. I agree with this 100%.

That's how it should be, vacation is vacation, stay home and enjoy it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
None of you guys know the right answer until you know where he is from and what regional and local supplemental agreements apply.
In my local you can work through 2 vacation weeks per our local supplement.
Due to local autonomy this forum is, more often than not, a terrible place to solicit advice on a grievance.
CONTACT YOUR STEWARD AND OR BUSINESS AGENT and have them show you the applicable contractual language.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

None of you guys know the right answer until you know where he is from and what regional and local supplemental agreements apply.
Due to local autonomy this forum is, more often than not, a terrible place to solicit advice on a grievance.
CONTACT YOUR STEWARD AND OR BUSINESS AGENT and have them show you the applicable contractual language.

Are you allowed to work if it means that a cover driver will be laid off as a result?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Well, I am of a different opinion on this. I have been pulled upstairs a couple of times by the labor sup in our area because I worked 54-56 weeks in a year, technically. He told me I can't. I told him I was working as directed and WILL CONTINUE as long as my center manager asked me to. That was allowed a couple more years. Finally, as Upstate says, the labor sup came up with the bright idea of having the DM order my center manager and, apparently everyone else in our area, to stop this practice.

Sometimes, I know its hard to believe, people would rather be at work than at home. Lesser of two evils, shall we say. So, if my center manager wants me to work through a vaca, and IF I feel like it, I will help him out. Don't be mad because THEY allow me or someone else to make a few extra bucks. Get mad at the one who is dividing and conquering.
menotyou,

What does your supplement say about this?

The company allowing members to violate the contract does not abdicate their responsiblity to follow the contract.

I don't know what your supplement says, but knowingly violating the contract for selfish gains is divisive.

Members who continue down this self centered road will be what divides and conquers the union way.

I am not accusing you of this, I am only giving my opinion about this kind of thing.

No offense intended.

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
menotyou,

What does your supplement say about this?

The company allowing members to violate the contract does not abdicate their responsiblity to follow the contract.

I don't know what your supplement says, but knowingly violating the contract for selfish gains is divisive.

Members who continue down this self centered road will be what divides and conquers the union way.

I am not accusing you of this, I am only giving my opinion about this kind of thing.

No offense intended.

Sincerely,
I

No offense taken. I have no idea what the contract actually says about this. I did take joy in annoying the labor sup, and in cashing the checks. I took a lot more joy in annoying the labor sup from Syracuse, though.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Bingo!
In our local rider it states "Except for the option week, employees must take all allotted vacations and may not work during, or take pay for scheduled vacation time.
Years ago, I filed a grievance under this article when a fellow employee decided to work through his vacation. Won a monetary settlement of approximately 15 hrs of overtime pay.