Finally, someone up there has figured it out.........................

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm sure many of you have the same issue, over the years we have allowed many a customer to just call the center to have a truck dispatched for a pick up. I can't even begin to imagine how much money has been lost in drivers wages and fuel, not to mention lost revenue from service charges.

Fri in our PCM our sup told us that this practice is no longer allowed. Customers have to call the 800# to schedule a pick up. I have always been an advocate of this strategy and someone has finally seen the light. Now the problem is getting the customers past their, 'it is my right' mentality to call the center. I was done with my rte yesterday at 4:20. As I was pulling into the center I received an ODS saying a customer out on the edge of town had a pick up and would I stop by and pick it up. NOPE - I'm done and in the center.

hudson

I have been actively trying to get my customers on UPS Smart Pick Up. Not only does it help the drivers out but it saves the customers money. Also the customer does not have to call the center or the 800 number.

The UPS Smart Pickup scheduled pickup option automatically notifies a UPS driver when you have processed a shipment using UPS WorldShip® 2010, UPS Internet Shipping, or UPS CampusShip

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

hudson, please be sure to tell them about the cut off time for processing a shipment. We have had a problem here with customers who have converted to the Smart Pickup, not process a package by the cut off time, and then call the center asking why the driver didn't stop as they had pkgs going.

The Smart Pickup is a win/win for our smaller pickup accounts. The weekly charge is 1/2 and the pickup is dropped from the log if there are no pkgs processed by the cut off time. They key is the account has to be using a computer to process their shipments--this will not work with the pickup book or ASD's.

tracker2762

We were told today that the unscheduled pick is going to be removed from the diad. So now you won't get credit for a pick up if they call the center for one. Packages will now be recorded in special counts.

Overpaid Union Thug

hudson, please be sure to tell them about the cut off time for processing a shipment. We have had a problem here with customers who have converted to the Smart Pickup, not process a package by the cut off time, and then call the center asking why the driver didn't stop as they had pkgs going.

The Smart Pickup is a win/win for our smaller pickup accounts. The weekly charge is 1/2 and the pickup is dropped from the log if there are no pkgs processed by the cut off time. They key is the account has to be using a computer to process their shipments--this will not work with the pickup book or ASD's.

The problem we have here is management doesn't seem to know about all of the new pickups options. When the on trace pickups were first put in the DIADs some of us started making those pickups on trace instead of during the 30 minute pickups windows and the next day we were fussed at for screwing up the center's pickup compliance percentage.

Big Babooba

I have a Smart Pickup account that uses a pickup book. He has to call the 800 number an hour before his pickup time if he has anything being shipped. I've been trying for years to get him to ditch the pickup log. He just won't.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I'm sure many of you have the same issue, over the years we have allowed many a customer to just call the center to have a truck dispatched for a pick up. I can't even begin to imagine how much money has been lost in drivers wages and fuel, not to mention lost revenue from service charges.

Fri in our PCM our sup told us that this practice is no longer allowed. Customers have to call the 800# to schedule a pick up. I have always been an advocate of this strategy and someone has finally seen the light. Now the problem is getting the customers past their, 'it is my right' mentality to call the center. I was done with my rte yesterday at 4:20. As I was pulling into the center I received an ODS saying a customer out on the edge of town had a pick up and would I stop by and pick it up. NOPE - I'm done and in the center.

That's one of the reasons FedEx is growing and we are struggling to hang on the what we have. They want packages and we want to avoid them.

This driver did the job and wanted to go home. I'm in agreement. In our center, they have done away with early am drivers, on call air drivers, and part time air drivers at night. That's fine with me. More overtime coming my way. But once I'm done and in the building, it's time to go home. You can only spread drivers so far before they snap. What's next? Get rid of feeder drivers and have the package drivers drive the feeders at night? The customer took a hit in this instance but that is not the driver's fault. If there are not enough people to get the job done, that blame lies with management.
Fed-Ex is growing because they care about the customer. UPS cares about numbers.

Rebrak24

FedEx has the time to make a u-turn midroute and get that DirecTv receiver on the 6th floor. Some customers just think they are the only customer at that time. Customer service needs to be synchronized with our sense of urgency. I've seen FedEx drivers sitting beside their dropbox for ten, fifteen minutes.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We were told today that the unscheduled pick is going to be removed from the diad. So now you won't get credit for a pick up if they call the center for one. Packages will now be recorded in special counts.

We haven't done an unscheduled pickup in 6 or 8 months.

klein

Für Meno :)
I hate to admit it, but I had several unscheduled pickups on my route.
Staples (Homeoffice) was one of them. I went there daily, and they gave me unscheduled pick-ups all the time.
Same as other smaller suppliers (drop offs).

I even had a residential customer (home business), that was allowed to call my cell for a pick-up (yes, talked to my sups about it, it was ok).

I always thought customers go first, but, yeah, I might have been wrong.
UPS doesn't seem to want it that way.

Besides, if customers need to pay extra, only because they make that call, then they might as well just drop everything off at the UPS Store, would be cheaper, and the UPS Store can take those profits away instead.
(have you talked to a UPS store owner ? I have, they get 35% of every package sent, thats why it was cheaper for me to send a parcel thru a UPS Store (got 30% discount), then shipping it thru my center, directly )

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hate to admit it, but I had several unscheduled pickups on my route.
Staples (Homeoffice) was one of them. I went there daily, and they gave me unscheduled pick-ups all the time.
Same as other smaller suppliers (drop offs).

I even had a residential customer (home business), that was allowed to call my cell for a pick-up (yes, talked to my sups about it, it was ok).

I always thought customers go first, but, yeah, I might have been wrong.
UPS doesn't seem to want it that way.

Besides, if customers need to pay extra, only because they make that call, then they might as well just drop everything off at the UPS Store, would be cheaper, and the UPS Store can take those profits away instead.
(have you talked to a UPS store owner ? I have, they get 35% of every package sent, thats why it was cheaper for me to send a parcel thru a UPS Store (got 30% discount), then shipping it thru my center, directly )

Klein, I think you may be confused as to what an unscheduled pickup is. When you were going to Staples, that was a scheduled pickup. The prepaid packages that were added are not an unscheduled pickup as Staples is an ASO (Authorized Shipping Outlet).

It is not unusual for a driver to give his cell to a residential customer who ships pkgs but not enough to have a daily or even a Smart pickup. That is simply good customer service.

UPS wants people to bring their pkgs to the UPS Store. It is much easier for our driver to make the pickup there rather than making 10-20 OCA's.

We have 5 or 6 drop boxes in the city I deliver in but there are still people that don't realize that they can drop their prepaids there or at the MBE store and will instead drive to the center.

klein

ON my diad, it was under unscheduled..... as to Dillis responds...
No other option.
Even had to enter their (Staples), shipping code by hand, how many received , etc.

So, I don't know how that screws up payment. You tell me ?

No UPS boxes here, even though we have theoritically been trained about them. (how to scan, clean, etc)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it was an unscheduled pickup why were you going there every day? That is the definition of a scheduled daily pickup and it should have been in your pickup log.

klein

If it was an unscheduled pickup why were you going there every day? That is the definition of a scheduled daily pickup and it should have been in your pickup log.

It wasn;t, and probably still isn't. They don't ship every day either, but 4 out of 5 they do. Ask UPS Canada why it isn't in the diad. I don't know.

LIke all of us, we work as directed and trained.