Finally..

AutoZone

BrownPower
I looked at my local's seniority list the other day and we have at least 6-8 guys who could retire tomorrow with 30 year pension.
This is what I'm hoping for.. When I was there thru the recession years, no one would retire cause they were unsure of their future with the pensions.. Now everyone seems pretty secure and lots of oldies are finally hanging it up.

Anthonysg0113

I looked at my local's seniority list the other day and we have at least 6-8 guys who could retire tomorrow with 30 year pension.
The same situation in my building. It was gonna be this last contract...nah, I'll wait til this next contract. One guy has an in-town baseline route and it goes out with stops like a rural route. When he retires, there will be stops, and pickups coming off 4 different routes back to that route.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Round 2***
You are aware you are starting at the absolute bottom of the seniority list and that your previous try at ups won't apply to anything including vacations, benefits etc?

Expect a 4-7 year wait to even drive. Maybe longer for full time. Depending on your area, it could be less or more. But this seems to be the average wait times. Regardless of a lot of retirements etc, they will still have to go through the whole seniority list before it even gets to you.

That could be awhile. Don't get your hopes up that this will be a quick fix because you worked here before. It could actually be longer of a wait then if you had stayed and stuck it out.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
This is what I'm hoping for.. When I was there thru the recession years, no one would retire cause they were unsure of their future with the pensions.. Now everyone seems pretty secure and lots of oldies are finally hanging it up.

With the troubles in Central States pension, these 30 year guys could decide to stay longer for the benefits or to pad their savings or pension. You're assuming a lot.

AutoZone

BrownPower
You are aware you are starting at the absolute bottom of the seniority list and that your previous try at ups won't apply to anything including vacations, benefits etc?

Expect a 4-7 year wait to even drive. Maybe longer for full time. Depending on your area, it could be less or more. But this seems to be the average wait times. Regardless of a lot of retirements etc, they will still have to go through the whole seniority list before it even gets to you.

That could be awhile. Don't get your hopes up that this will be a quick fix because you worked here before. It could actually be longer of a wait then if you had stayed and stuck it out.
I'm fully aware of everything buddy.. The main difference is, I'm walking into the hub at a better time in our economy. So I don't anticipate the long wait this time. I've already talked with drivers and they say they're already screwed as it is thru peak because they barely have enough drivers to cover regular routes. This is a pretty big hub. On top of them being short staffed, my buddy had told me he knows of at least 6 pc drivers and 7 feeder drivers and 3 ft warehouse guys that are retiring this December. That's 13 drivers, and maybe some of those higher senoity people will take the ft jobs and stay away from the pc's.. On top of that!! He said they're having a hard time with people not passing driving tests, out have bad driving records.. I think I might be slipping in at a much better time this go around.. I'll be working the sort this time to instead of the load.. Easier work.. Just gotta push thru..

km3

I'm fully aware of everything buddy.. The main difference is, I'm walking into the hub at a better time in our economy. So I don't anticipate the long wait this time. I've already talked with drivers and they say they're already screwed as it is thru peak because they barely have enough drivers to cover regular routes. This is a pretty big hub. On top of them being short staffed, my buddy had told me he knows of at least 6 pc drivers and 7 feeder drivers and 3 ft warehouse guys that are retiring this December. That's 13 drivers, and maybe some of those higher senoity people will take the ft jobs and stay away from the pc's.. On top of that!! He said they're having a hard time with people not passing driving tests, out have bad driving records.. I think I might be slipping in at a much better time this go around.. I'll be working the sort this time to instead of the load.. Easier work.. Just gotta push thru..

Yeah, I work in a pretty decent sized hub myself. When I got hired, HR told me the wait to become a driver has been "as short as" 3 months. I didn't believe them, but then my steward said the same thing--if you're lucky, you can drive in 3 months. The shortest wait time I know of is 8 months for someone who was at the airport then came over to my building for the full time gig.

Having been here for 4 months, I get the distinct impression that the vast majority of my part-time coworkers aren't interested in driving or full-time work, at all. Most seem to be here either for the insurance or the education assistance, many aren't 21 yet and thus can't drive, and many others either have crazy awesome beards that they won't part with, or very visible tattoos up and down the arms, legs, face, and neck. On top of all of that, we have really high turnover (which doesn't affect me too much, since I'd be ahead of new hires in seniority, and the ones with seniority over me probably aren't going anywhere if they lasted this long).

I give it 2 years, at most, before I'm in a package car. The real source of my anxiety isn't how long it'll take for me to get the call, but whether or not I'll be able to qualify. I come into work at 10:30PM and there are still drivers just getting back to the building. I heard that to qualify you have to get back to the building by a certain time, a certain number of days. That part makes me the most nervous.

Of course, if it takes more than 2 years, then I'll just graduate and get into engineering instead. Whatever comes first, I don't particularly have a preference one way or the other.

PT Car Washer

Yeah, I work in a pretty decent sized hub myself. When I got hired, HR told me the wait to become a driver has been "as short as" 3 months. I didn't believe them, but then my steward said the same thing--if you're lucky, you can drive in 3 months. The shortest wait time I know of is 8 months for someone who was at the airport then came over to my building for the full time gig.

Having been here for 4 months, I get the distinct impression that the vast majority of my part-time coworkers aren't interested in driving or full-time work, at all. Most seem to be here either for the insurance or the education assistance, many aren't 21 yet and thus can't drive, and many others either have crazy awesome beards that they won't part with, or very visible tattoos up and down the arms, legs, face, and neck. On top of all of that, we have really high turnover (which doesn't affect me too much, since I'd be ahead of new hires in seniority, and the ones with seniority over me probably aren't going anywhere if they lasted this long).

I give it 2 years, at most, before I'm in a package car. The real source of my anxiety isn't how long it'll take for me to get the call, but whether or not I'll be able to qualify. I come into work at 10:30PM and there are still drivers just getting back to the building. I heard that to qualify you have to get back to the building by a certain time, a certain number of days. That part makes me the most nervous.

Of course, if it takes more than 2 years, then I'll just graduate and get into engineering instead. Whatever comes first, I don't particularly have a preference one way or the other.
In my opinion you would be crazy to take a package delivery job over an engineering degree job. I doubt an engineering job would keep you out until 10:30 at night in the rain and snow.

AutoZone

BrownPower
In my opinion you would be crazy to take a package delivery job over an engineering degree job. I doubt an engineering job would keep you out until 10:30 at night in the rain and snow.
Well, engineering is a very lucrative career. So you've got 2 very good options. UPS to me tho, I've worked at car dealerships my whole life. Started out washing cars, now I'm a parts manager. I make very good money, but it's not UPS money for driving around a brown microwave all day to make 90k+.. There's no retirement, pension, or good insurance working for a dealership.. I'd get all that through UPS.. I started when I was 24.. And quit when I was 28.. I'm 32 now.. So instead of calling it quits at 54, I'll have to wait till 62.. But at least I know that's there when I'm done in 30 years! Maybe I'll hang on to 35 years just to piss the newbies off like they're doing to us now.. Lol

AutoZone

BrownPower
Dealerships...

Attachments

• 1443455509333.jpg
    1443455509333.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 135

AutoZone

BrownPower

Good luck to you brother!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
With this company and when you decide to make UPS a career , the worst thing you can do is assume. Especially when you are looking to become a driver. Don't assume all those guys are retiring soon. Also don't assume you'll be the one to pass your road test /probation when others can't due to the wonderful new strict way management has been doing it lately.

Assuming will get your hopes up and cause disappointment if those things don't follow through. You then might get discouraged and decide to quit again. Instead, put your time in. Pay your dues and when it happens, it'll happen.

Gotta crawl before you can run rookie. If you get your eyes ahead too far of the prize you want, that's when you'll be at risk to mess up or lose focus.