Fired for runaway.

Johney

Any camera's around? No?
I don't know what the hell happened. I left it in 1st gear with the parking brake on,someone must have jumped in while I was gone and took it out of gear and released the brake" Thats my story and I'm sticking too it.

Any camera's around? No?
I don't know what the hell happened. I left it in 1st gear with the parking brake on,someone must have jumped in while I was gone and took it out of gear and released the brake" Thats my story and I'm sticking too it.
Then they somehow prove it was in second and the got you for dishonesty. Plead ignorance.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Had a runaway in a mall parking lot. Driving an 1980 4 speed and force of habit had me leave it in second gear. Parking brake was to tight so I didn't use it since I figured I was on a level enough area. Minimal damage to the car that was bumped. Anyone ever get their job back for a runaway? Got my fingers crossed.

What's your over all work record like? That will determine the discipline in most cases.

Then they somehow prove it was in second and the got you for dishonesty. Plead ignorance.

Ignorance might keep you from coming back if terminated. Someone saying they made a mistake shows awareness of the situation and an attempt at redemption.

Ignorance implies you are incompetent as far as operating a vehicle despite having extensive training and are a risk to the company and the public. On the bright side ,no one ever had a roll-away with a fry cooker.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Every piece of equipment that ups uses, from an irreg train, forklift up to a tractor trailer is equipped with a parking brake. It needs to be second nature. rising up off the seat, raise it with your left hand every time. Cutting corners on this job will get you on the unemployment line. That being said, I've had equipment roll because I forgot to pop the parking brake. Luckily it didn't move very far. That was because I was senile, not cause I was cutting corners, though. Several years ago, we had a feeder driver build a set on an outbound door, get out of his tractor, hook up his dolly hoses and charge the back box. Not only did it roll with a loader in the rear box, but it rolled over the driver and crashed thru the side of our concrete walled car wash. He was out over a year recuperating, but he didn't get fired, he came back and retired later. Good luck in your instance.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We had a 24' long truck for a mall roll away last year, driver parked it on a slight decline aimed down towards a parking lot and didn't set the e-brake. He ate MAJOR crow in his meeting with our DM, and was off for a few days.

scisector9

We have a guy in my center that had a rollaway and a tier 2 in host first two years driving. Got fired for roll away that came after the tier two. Took six weeks to get his job back but he did. When I was at driver school they sent me on road for a day with a driver that had one. He also was fired for a couple months. He did say that the next guy in his center that had one did not get job back because it was a month after his and they wanted to send a message.

Take what you will from these examples but like stated previously it all depends on many different factors. Good luck

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ignorance might keep you from coming back if terminated. Someone saying they made a mistake shows awareness of the situation and an attempt at redemption.

Ignorance implies you are incompetent as far as operating a vehicle despite having extensive training and are a risk to the company and the public. On the bright side ,no one ever had a roll-away with a fry cooker.
I meant to go in there and admit you are stupid. I really don't want the guy to tell them he is actually ignorant to the rules. That would be stupid. He needs to say sorry and that he's a azzwhole.

Re-Raise

In my first 6 months of driving I parked on a slight incline in a parking lot in front of a business. I put on the parking brake and had the truck in first gear which had the gear shift angled back toward the bulkhead door.

I went into the back of the package car and picked up 2 packages and backed into the gear shift with my leg. It knocked it out of gear and the emergency brake didn't hold. I rolled about 5 ft and put a small dent in the rear corner panel of a car before I could jump in the seat hit the brake.

I was completely honest about what happened and was back to work 2 days later. That was 21 years ago and I haven't had an avoidable or unavoidable accident since.

Good luck and make it clear that you will learn from this. Always adjust the parking brake and avoid parking on inclines.

BrownTexas

After reading all these ill provide back story. I am basically a pro union driver in a center where people do whatever it takes to stay off the radar. So I had a pretty big bullseye on my back. I was in a 4 speed manual car that was built in 1982 and is the only 4 speed in our center and earlier that day I was in a different car. Claimed force of habit for putting it in 2 gear in this particular car that would normally be low for every other car at our center. I didn't use my parking brake strictly on it being a fairly level area and like an idiot I thought that was good enough. I called immediately about the accident. Was told by the center manager about how "my job was in his hands" and that "even though I have great skills as a driver, he rather have a mediocre driver that didn't cause him grief that a great driver that files grievances and tells other how to help them abide by the bargaining agreement." Not a smart move on my part and my BA has said it is difficult to retain someone from a runaway but I still have my fingers crossed. Hoping my center manager spares me because he knows I am a great driver and can run routes blind very well and just let's me have my job back with no backpay. If not... Guess ill be wearing purple and black.

PT Car Washer

I have seen several come back after a roll away. Took a while. Only one that I know of who didn't come back would never admit it was his fault. Had a roll away with an automatic.