Fired for "stealing time"

oldngray

nowhere special
414341197_c90268c20a.jpg

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had a driver get fired a couple of years ago. I thought it was pretty creative on management's part. He cleaned his windshield bugs off his tractor. They fired him, not for stealing time, but for "creating overtime". I guess it is all the same thing. He wasn't off very long. beats me the reasoning sometime. You might sit for 20 minutes waiting for a door to open up, but waste a minute walking from the fuel pump to dispatch and they want to discipline you.

Teeitup

Was you first meeting a in house hearing?? If they couldn't agree at Local level it then goes to Grievance Committee at Union Hall. Did you go through the grievance procedure and state your case albeit a week one at Union Hall? The Union will let you go if they don't think they can win in arbitration or deadlock it. I've been through this process. Mine went to arbitration. Union deadlocked mine at Union Hall. My question is did the Union deadlock yours at Union Hall? If they deadlocked it be prepared to be off for awhile(mine was 10 months). I suggest you kiss a lot of ass and tell them everything they want to hear and immediately head to unemployment office.

jdn

Was you first meeting a in house hearing?? If they couldn't agree at Local level it then goes to Grievance Committee at Union Hall. Did you go through the grievance procedure and state your case albeit a week one at Union Hall? The Union will let you go if they don't think they can win in arbitration or deadlock it. I've been through this process. Mine went to arbitration. Union deadlocked mine at Union Hall. My question is did the Union deadlock yours at Union Hall? If they deadlocked it be prepared to be off for awhile(mine was 10 months). I suggest you kiss a lot of ass and tell them everything they want to hear and immediately head to unemployment office.
I had a meeting with my BA, center manager, sup and Labor Manager. They said no for me to come back. My BA tried talking to them again and they still said no, so we are going to Arbitration, and said it can take a few months. What was your case?

We had a driver get fired a couple of years ago. I thought it was pretty creative on management's part. He cleaned his windshield bugs off his tractor. They fired him, not for stealing time, but for "creating overtime". I guess it is all the same thing. He wasn't off very long. beats me the reasoning sometime. You might sit for 20 minutes waiting for a door to open up, but waste a minute walking from the fuel pump to dispatch and they want to discipline you.

The payback for that is a harassment grievance in addition to a complaint to the DOT describing the cutting of safety corners by management under threat of discipline. It works.

Work safe or not at all.

What was the timeline on this whole thing? Did your center manager just sit and watch you "steal time", go back to the center, wait 2 days and then bring this up? If so, your center manager is not doing his job. A supervisor or manager is suposed to supervise or manage, not build cases for termination.
Example- I had a friend who was fired for "stealing time". Napping in his truck for about 30 minutes per day, on the clock. Was caught on camera doing this, 3 days in a row. At the panel hearing, after both the company and the union had made their cases, a panelist for the union asked the labor manager 1 question- "Why didn't you go and wake the guy up the first night?"
The company had no response. What could they have said? It's not our job? We wanted to build a case for terminating him so we just let him sleep? He got his job back.