Fired for "stealing time"

If you have someone dishonest in your company it's your job to tell him "Hey, don't steal because we're watching you steal?" Give me a break. It may not be management's main job to build cases for disciplinary action but if you give them a reason then they'll be more than prepared to do it.

Why can some NOT see the theme off DON"T GIVE THEM A REASON TO WATCH YOU? If you can't figure that out then you're not cut out for this job. Bye Bye

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What was the timeline on this whole thing? Did your center manager just sit and watch you "steal time", go back to the center, wait 2 days and then bring this up? If so, your center manager is not doing his job. A supervisor or manager is suposed to supervise or manage, not build cases for termination.
Example- I had a friend who was fired for "stealing time". Napping in his truck for about 30 minutes per day, on the clock. Was caught on camera doing this, 3 days in a row. At the panel hearing, after both the company and the union had made their cases, a panelist for the union asked the labor manager 1 question- "Why didn't you go and wake the guy up the first night?"
The company had no response. What could they have said? It's not our job? We wanted to build a case for terminating him so we just let him sleep? He got his job back.
Well he deserved to be terminated also

Work safe or not at all.

If you have someone dishonest in your company it's your job to tell him "Hey, don't steal because we're watching you steal?" Give me a break. It may not be management's main job to build cases for disciplinary action but if you give them a reason then they'll be more than prepared to do it.

Why can some NOT see the theme off DON"T GIVE THEM A REASON TO WATCH YOU? If you can't figure that out then you're not cut out for this job. Bye Bye

If you have someone dishonest in your company it's your job to tell him "Hey, don't steal because we're watching you steal?"
As opposed to just standing there, watching for 30 minutes, getting in the car, driving off, waiting 2 days and then deciding to do something about it? Uh...yeah, if my job is supervising the "stealing" employee, it is my job to stop it, then and there.

Firstly, I am not saying that this guy is not an idiot. He is. But this is where I have a problem with "stealing time". What else can you steal at UPS that they just allow it to happen, watch it happen, and then eventually, days later, act on it? Nothing.

Whenever I handle a supervisor working grievance, I always write "supervisor working/stealing time" when describing the issue. Because that is exactly what a supervisor working is; the company "stealing time" from hourly employees. Now how is this type of "stealing time" dealt with? Is the offending supervisor fired for an act of dishonesty? No. They cut a check and the issue is settled.

Did the company sign a legally binding document stating that management would not perform bargaining unit work? Yes they did. Is intentionally violating a legally binding agreement "dishonest"? I'll let you be the judge of that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you have someone dishonest in your company it's your job to tell him "Hey, don't steal because we're watching you steal?"
As opposed to just standing there, watching for 30 minutes, getting in the car, driving off, waiting 2 days and then deciding to do something about it? Uh...yeah, if my job is supervising the "stealing" employee, it is my job to stop it, then and there.

Firstly, I am not saying that this guy is not an idiot. He is. But this is where I have a problem with "stealing time". What else can you steal at UPS that they just allow it to happen, watch it happen, and then eventually, days later, act on it? Nothing.

Whenever I handle a supervisor working grievance, I always write "supervisor working/stealing time" when describing the issue. Because that is exactly what a supervisor working is; the company "stealing time" from hourly employees. Now how is this type of "stealing time" dealt with? Is the offending supervisor fired for an act of dishonesty? No. They cut a check and the issue is settled.

Did the company sign a legally binding document stating that management would not perform bargaining unit work? Yes they did. Is intentionally violating a legally binding agreement "dishonest"? I'll let you be the judge of that.
Apples to oranges. Hourlies are held to a hire standard than management we all know that.

You're really reaching here.

sportsjock

We just had a driver get fired for "stealing time". What he did was pre record stops,delivered the stops forgot to stop complete the stops at the delivery location. He stop completed them completely away from the area.

He had a 7 day unpaid vacation, but he got his job back. He's a good driver the center manager hated to discharge him but the DM pressured him. The DM is crazy! He's trying to fire everyone.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We just had a driver get fired for "stealing time". What he did was pre record stops,delivered the stops forgot to stop complete the stops at the delivery location. He stop completed them completely away from the area.

He had a 7 day unpaid vacation, but he got his job back. He's a good driver the center manager hated to discharge him but the DM pressured him. The DM is crazy! He's trying to fire everyone.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The termination was justified.

No, your job is to build a rock solid case against the dishonest person so that when he is confronted you have him dead to rights and the union can't argue the "you have no proof" case. You claim to be a steward, if you were defending an employee what's the first words out of your mouth? "Where's the proof?" Well, here it is. If they fired him for stealing 5 minutes you'd have an arguable case. 30!!!!! That boy is gone. Ta ta , buh bye.

How about EVERYTHING!!!! If they suspect a loader is pilfering they'll bait him, observe him, tape him. And when they act they'll have proof to make sure the dishonest person is gone and stays gone.

I can't believe your inability to grasp the facts.