Firing's for being seen on cell phones/distracted driving.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A center in my building has had 2 drivers fired this week for being seen by other building management personnel on their cell phones. about a month ago another guy was seen texting, and a "concerned citizen" took a picture of him behind the wheel and e-mailed it to the center manager. He didn't get disciplined (not to my knowledge), but in the last 6 days two drivers have been seen on their phones and fired the following day. One of them was fired not for being on the phone necessarily, but for stealing time (despite scratching the route). So, now we A.) Can't answer the phone while moving. OR B.) If we pull over to answer it, we have to worry about being accused of stealing time.

Needless to say, now my phone won't ring unless it's my family (who usually only call for emergencies). IS anyone else seeing this in their hubs?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Never heard of it. Depending on local law, a driver shouldn't be on the phone unless they have a hands free device (ie. bluetooth) but this is not considered a cardinal infraction and their termination would be considered unjust. The company might have a case if the driver got into an accident (depending on how severe) while on the phone and could prove serious negligence, but even that's a bit of a stretch.

There's new language in the TA that protects drivers as far as hands free devices go, but it doesn't apply yet.

The "stealing time" charge is still total bull**** and would never hold any water at panel, but procedurally they can take someone off the job on the spot for (alleged) dishonesty. What about the other driver?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver fired for talking for an extended period of time while on his cell phone. The center manager and on-car were in the same car following him. He was on his cell phone while making deliveries and when he started his pickups. The driver got his job back after a few days off ("time served") but it did act as a wake-up call.

I saw our air driver on his cell phone while I was on my way in to work the other day.

Is there really any reason to be on our cell phones while we are driving?

As for you questions:

A) I absolutely agree with this.

B) I absolutely disagree with this unless the phone call is an extended one. Safely pulling over to the side of the road to take a quick phone call is not that big of a deal.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Get a Bluetooth.
I talk on my phone all day long and per the contract and applicable state laws, there is nothing they can do about it as long as I use common sense.
The Bluetooth allows me to talk hands free and by the methods.
Be sure to go mute with the person on the phone while interacting with customers.
​It is rude and unprofessional to be talking while in their presence.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Federal DOT LAW ............. No cell phone use while driving a commercial vehicle at all times...this includes a package car ..( even though you don't need a CDL .its a commercial vehicle )

upschuck

We had a driver stopped, texting with BA, and fired for stealing time. He didn't want to fight it.

Sometimes the managers will leave before start time and park on one of the two main ways out, and try and catch drivers talking on their cellphones. Stewards are always glad when they're told that no one was taken out of service.

Never be on the phone while driving, pull over if its that important.

pretender

I guess I must be "old school" because I would never consider Bluetooth--I didn't want to be tied to my cell phone all day long. I have a distinctive ring for my wife in case of an emergency. Otherwise, there is nothing so important that it can't wait even a couple of hours for a response.

Last edited:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Never heard of it. Depending on local law, a driver shouldn't be on the phone unless they have a hands free device (ie. bluetooth) but this is not considered a cardinal infraction and their termination would be considered unjust. The company might have a case if the driver got into an accident (depending on how severe) while on the phone and could prove serious negligence, but even that's a bit of a stretch.

There's new language in the TA that protects drivers as far as hands free devices go, but it doesn't apply yet.

The "stealing time" charge is still total bull**** and would never hold any water at panel, but procedurally they can take someone off the job on the spot for (alleged) dishonesty. What about the other driver?

The driver who "stole time" was seen by a different center manager, and he called our DM, so when he was caught he needed to be "taught a lesson". One of our on cars said he'll be back, it just needs to work itself out.

The other driver I do not have too much information on, he was fired yesterday morning. Word on the street is that he was spotted by the safety chair from a different building, who was on his route shopping with her kids, and she still followed him for about a mile and chewed him out. In the upcoming days I'm sure I'll be able to find out some stuff about him. He's been a driver for probably 15 years at least. Taking what I heard from another driver, she's kind of a :censored2:, so he might have a tough road ahead.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Our Division Manager talked to us in our PCM yesterday about this, so it maybe a new trend that the rules are going to be actually enforced. My Hub has twice the accidents that are normal for a building its size, so the focus of this talk was mainly safety. I see drivers, management, and Safety Committee members talking on their phones and driving all the time, its a big problem. I also see drivers with earbuds stuck in their ears listening to music while driving, which is against the law in my state.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have had 56 Tier 3 accidents to date in my district, which is a marked increase over last year. Many of these were intersections. I have no idea how many involved either our driver or the other driver using their cell phone while driving but it wouldn't surprise me if it were at least half.

over9five

Staff member
IMHO, talking on your cell (bluetooth or not, pulled over or not) is stealing time. You are being paid to do the job, not babble on your phone on company time.
You can't wait till break or lunch? Man, that's just sad you have to be tied to your device 24/7.
I got no problem with people getting fired for this, seen too many bad things happen. I'd rather see you fired than kill some innocent tomorrow.

​Flame on.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
IMHO, talking on your cell (bluetooth or not, pulled over or not) is stealing time. You are being paid to do the job, not babble on your phone on company time.
You can't wait till break or lunch? Man, that's just sad you have to be tied to your device 24/7.
I got no problem with people getting fired for this, seen too many bad things happen. I'd rather see you fired than kill some innocent tomorrow.

​Flame on.

I agree, and whenever my family calls on the job, I try to wrap it up as quickly as possible. But, management uses my cell like I keep it on for THEM, which is hardly the case. I was riding with an on car the other day, and he was attempting to navigate a parking lot on the phone, with me in the jump seat. A few weeks ago a SUP was meeting me for a misroute, and I was at a resi stop and he's on the phone while asking me for directions and says "oh, I see you" and then hangs up. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

upschuck

I agree, and whenever my family calls on the job, I try to wrap it up as quickly as possible. But, management uses my cell like I keep it on for THEM, which is hardly the case. I was riding with an on car the other day, and he was attempting to navigate a parking lot on the phone, with me in the jump seat. A few weeks ago a SUP was meeting me for a misroute, and I was at a resi stop and he's on the phone while asking me for directions and says "oh, I see you" and then hangs up. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Does that surprise you?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wonder if this policy will be posted at my counter .
I find it rather rude that many people want my full attention when serving them , but can't stop blabbing into their phones at the same time .

JackStraw

In our center it's an automatic one day. Mgt. is pretty clear on this they don't want you on your CP when driving. End of story. They've told us that if you have to take a call pull over and answer it but don't drive while on it. Or wait til it's dark out. "I don't have my phone with me. You'll have to wait til I find a phone, or you can use DIAd" usually works for me. I also don't give my number to mgt. They have my home #.