Firing's for being seen on cell phones/distracted driving.

bluehdmc

Federal DOT LAW ............. No cell phone use while driving a commercial vehicle at all times...this includes a package car ..( even though you don't need a CDL .its a commercial vehicle )

A "hands free" device may be used. Must also be "one touch" dialing.

OPTION3

IMHO, talking on your cell (bluetooth or not, pulled over or not) is stealing time. You are being paid to do the job, not babble on your phone on company time.
You can't wait till break or lunch? Man, that's just sad you have to be tied to your device 24/7.
I got no problem with people getting fired for this
Funny thing is....pertaining to stealing time....I can't count the times I've walked by Offices and seen multimedia sites on managements computer screen......Double standard much?

UPSER110

IMHO, talking on your cell (bluetooth or not, pulled over or not) is stealing time. You are being paid to do the job, not babble on your phone on company time.
You can't wait till break or lunch? Man, that's just sad you have to be tied to your device 24/7.
I got no problem with people getting fired for this, seen too many bad things happen. I'd rather see you fired than kill some innocent tomorrow.

​Flame on.

Not much about talking and driving at work, but how people are addicted to their phone.

I Forgot My Phone - YouTube

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I never use my bluetooth in city driving. But I'm a road driver. I drive 250 miles each way on the interstate. I will use the bluetooth if I need to, but I'm not really a big cell phone talker. I will tell you this, if you're tired driving on the highway in the middle of the night, the cellphone--via the bluetooth--is like the CB. It will keep you alert.

And my dispatch calls me about once a week to tell me to take my load to a different hub.

For me, I won't talk on the bluetooth if I'm in traffic. Too many variables. But on a deserted highway, in the middle of the night, I will take a call.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
And where I'm from, our feeder drivers were all using bluetooth devices long before the new DOT rules.

JL 0513

I would never talk on the phone while in motion. I'm in a deafening 27 year old package car, I can't even hear myself think. Never mind carry on a phone conversation. We get 80 legitimate minutes of personal time a day. Plenty of time to communicate.

Notretiredyet

My phone is in my lunchbox behind the bulkhead, it is my personal phone and I check for messages at lunch and on my way out to the parking lot each nite. The DIAD provides members of my management team of the ability to contact me
at any time, I prefer that method. And I cannot remember how many times I hear about what was said over the phone that would never have been sent on record to a DIAD from someone. There's no need for us to use our phones for dispatching or contacting the centers except for emergency purposes, especially if the calls are being used to harass or intimidate someone as they like to do here. I'll get off my box now, it's time for a beer the games about to start.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It's real simple, people:

​Hang up and drive.
I left my phone at home yesterday, and somehow I made it through the day. It sucked at lunch and break times, but I survived the day without it. I had a heavy dispatch, but I knocked it out and got home a half hour earlier. What does that tell you about modern technology? It slows you down. We have some drivers that stay on the phone and talk all day. We also have drivers that stay on Facebook and post pictures all day. I only use my smart phone to entertain myself on my personal time. If I don't answer personal phone calls, I go home sooner. Its as simple as that.

I left my phone at home yesterday, and somehow I made it through the day. It sucked at lunch and break times, but I survived the day without it. I had a heavy dispatch, but I knocked it out and got home a half hour earlier. What does that tell you about modern technology? It slows you down. We have some drivers that stay on the phone and talk all day. We also have drivers that stay on Facebook and post pictures all day. I only use my smart phone to entertain myself on my personal time. If I don't answer personal phone calls, I go home sooner. Its as simple as that.
you made it through the day, without a cell phone? Just like the old days? Before cell phones and DIADS? How did we ever get a package delivered??...lol

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's what I don't get, its 2013 get Bluetooth you idiots. Its that simple. Aint rocket science on how to hook it up. I got my Bluetooth and I use it to talk on phone and listen to music while im delivering resies. If they get into troule for talking on their phone that's their fault. Its the law and they should abiding by the law plain and simple.

MassWineGuy

I use the DIAD most of the time to communicate with the center. Last night it made me at least an extra 1 ot.

Wow, not a bad thing.

I'm totally new and just finished the one week training for drivers. I hope to be a casual driver this peak. the guy who led our group was the safety director for the district. He told us that if he, personally, ever saw us even holding a cell phone while the wheels were in motion that he'd fire us. I'm one of the two people left on Earth that don't have a cell phone, but if I start driving I'm going to have one so I can call my supe when I can't figure a way out of my DIAD. But here's what I'll do, according to my training group leader's suggestions:

Tell your wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, friends, foes, strangers that you cannot answer the cell phone while you're working. Place your phone in your bag or lunch sack, and stow it behind the bulkhead door in the cargo section. If you need to use it, be sure you're pulled over and stopped. If there is a family emergency, they should call the center, which will send you a message through the DIAD.

Using or even holding a cell phone while driving is distracting, which I know you'd all agree is extremely dangerous. Go on YouTube and look up distracted driving. There are far too many horrible and affecting videos detailing fatal collisions. I think that I'm a good driver. But I'm not super human (that's a few days away), and if I'm holding something in my hand while driving I'd be tempted to pay some attention to it, which in turn would take that attention away from driving. this includes using a Bluetooth device.

I'm completely in favor of canning drivers who use cell phones while driving. UPS is renowned for its drivers' skills. You're in a fish bowl while on duty where everyone can see you. And report you.

brownIEman

Funny thing is....pertaining to stealing time....I can't count the times I've walked by Offices and seen multimedia sites on managements computer screen......Double standard much?

Not a double standard as you are thinking. Two entirely different standards. Management are not paid for their time, they are paid for the job. They have tasks that must get done, and they get the same pay if the tasks take them 2 hours or 24.

s-man

Supervisors call me all the time. I DON'T pick up the phone while the engine is running ever. They have to wait till I get to my next stop. This is real hard for air drivers and shuttlers, who need constant contact with the center, but don't be tempted.