Firing's for being seen on cell phones/distracted driving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wouldn't be surprised if supes were calling just to catch you driving while talking.

This may surprise you but it is not the goal of each and every supervisor to try to fire as many hourlies as possible; that being said, if there is an hourly that they are trying to get rid of, it would not surprise me at all if they did what you suggested. They will salt the load, do random check-in audits, sit at intersections doing safety observations and compare delivery records with entries in the DIAD (working through lunch) if they suspect a driver is not working within the methods.

JL 0513

When I made seniority, my center manager said [jokingly] that I just spent 30 days trying to make you successful, now we will spend 30 years trying to fire you.

LOL

Ouch

Federal DOT LAW ............. No cell phone use while driving a commercial vehicle at all times...this includes a package car ..( even though you don't need a CDL .its a commercial vehicle )

Differs state to state our law here states hands free device is perfectly legal.

HomeDelivery

you guys are supposed to set the standards... all that integrad training & i still see some brownies on their cellphones while driving:whiteflag:

don't lower yourselves to be like FedEx Ground #sarcasm:peaceful:

S

serenity now

........... so are the FedEx guys going to be fired if they are seen while not using their cellphone

OPTION3

This may surprise you but it is not the goal of each and every supervisor to try to fire as many hourlies as possible; that being said, if there is an hourly that they are trying to get rid of, it would not surprise me at all if they did what you suggested. They will salt the load, do random check-in audits, sit at intersections doing safety observations and compare delivery records with entries in the DIAD (working through lunch) if they suspect a driver is not working within the methods.
Yes it would surprise me! I've heard this before....." I'm not like those supervisors" My response..."You lay down with dogs...You get up with fleas"

HomeDelivery

........... so are the FedEx guys going to be fired if they are seen while not using their cellphone

sadly to say, they don't give a damn if you make service...

they will give a damn if you get into an accident & a witness or your cellphone logs that proves you were on the phone while driving...

------------------------------------------------------------------

either way, brown/purple/civillian clothes, we shouldn't be doing this on the road at all

would you want to end up on the news as being the :censored2:bag that ran over kids/pedestrians?

3 children hit by texting driver | ksl.com

MassWineGuy

Yeah but we are trained drivers , we can handle a few things at a time

Run this by your center manager and see how well it works for you.

Oh, and I'm not being a highbrow snobby jerk, but my reporting and editing background requires me to clarify the word: Firings, not Firing's.

Re-Raise

One of the things I like about this site is that it causes me to re-think things sometimes.

I keep my phone in my shirt pocket and when it rings I answer it. I am a 20 year safe driver and I take safety seriously.

After reading this thread I am determined to not talk on the phone while I drive from this day on. It is not too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

over9five

Staff member
The trained drivers who THINK they can handle a few things at a time while driving are why the Feds have stepped in and said no you can't.
Yup, and EVERY driver who's ever been in an accident while on the cell thought he could handle it too.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Yup, and EVERY driver who's ever been in an accident while on the cell thought he could handle it too.
No need to talk, or especially text while driving. I've seen my center manager ask to view a drivers phone after an accident, to view the call & text log. If that driver had been distracted by his phone, I'm sure he'd have had much less chance of getting his job back.