For discussion...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does UPS still do merchandise exchange? I thought that ended a long time ago.

I had one a few months ago. It was for a 42" flat screen TV. I dropped off the replacement, completed the stop and told the consignee that I would be back later that day to pick up the original. The consignee was less than motivated and I had no intention of standing there and watching him take his sweet time making the swap.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
images

Hey, I apologized and gave my reason why.

BTW, you are new, so you get the benefit of the doubt.

Every single thread here gets derailed. Live and learn.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How am I ripping them off? Did I not provide the service "they" requested? Is our official title "Decision Maker" or "Service Provider"?

One could make the argument, "Why rip off your employer unnecessarily?"

Suppose you buy a new suit, bring it out to your car, change your mind, bring it back in to the store to return only to discover that they charge a "restocking fee" for all returns. Would you be OK with that?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
It was not an exchange. I was concerned about a paper trail 30 days later and confusion over what may have transpired. My way was simple and clear.

By The Book

If it were an exchange the label would have been inside the package and the DIAD would have identified the stop as a merchandise exchange stop which, BTW, are a PITA.
When I say exchange I mean a different size or color, which was sent after the first shipment and not identified in the diad, so they would need to go get the box, etc. and repack, tape and have at the door tomorrow like normal call tag pickups.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It was not an exchange. I was concerned about a paper trail 30 days later and confusion over what may have transpired. My way was simple and clear.

The paper trail would have been different had the consignee been home or not.

She was home and told you that the package and call tag were one in the same (she had most likely changed her mind). Scan package, RTS, scan call tag, cancel.

She was not home and you had no idea if the package and call were one in the same or not. Scan package, DR FD, scan call tage, NI 1.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I say exchange I mean a different size or color, which was sent after the first shipment and not identified in the diad, so they would need to go get the box, etc. and repack, tape and have at the door tomorrow like normal call tag pickups.

If I were running ahead or I was light I would wait until they made the swap right there.