Forced 20 Minute Break

MassWineGuy

I agree that 20 minute breaks are ridiculous. It's how the sm thinks he can improve the gap reports. He'd get similar results if everyone added several sweeps to their routes. Massachusetts law apparently requires 30 minute breaks between 6 and 8 hours of work, and an hour for 8 or more hours. Someone told me that under that law I'm entitled to refuse such breaks, but I need to read it to see.

MassWineGuy

Whoa now! I've just been doing some labor law reading on the web. It seems that we can, indeed, waive the 30 minute break associated with a six-plus hour shift. Or choose to take it as desired.

The sites I looked at also stated that federal labor law requires that all breaks of 20 minutes or less be paid. I suppose they can mandate 21 minute breaks.

I'm certain that my manager and our senior manager will both be thrilled.

MassWineGuy

Hiring them.

Hmm. I like it!

What I am actually planning to do is:

Meet with my manager to show him what the laws require.

Tell him that I've scheduled a meeting with the district manager.

Suggest that it might be more prudent if our sm voluntarily revokes the mandatory 29 minute break policy prior to my meeting with the district manager.

MassWineGuy

You will come in next Monday and no one will give a :censored2: how long a break you, take one out of the sort for all they care.

Sounds like you have a fresh Senior trying to make a name for himself honestly.

Most definitely. At previous stations he was known for cutting costs. I was told that he does a lot of tasks for the district, whatever those may be.

But I have them dead to rights on the 20 minute break and the 30 minutes after six hour breaks.

And yes, next week breaks will probably not be mentioned and having a pulse will be the major requirement.

Purplepackage

Most definitely. At previous stations he was known for cutting costs. I was told that he does a lot of tasks for the district, whatever those may be.

But I have them dead to rights on the 20 minute break and the 30 minutes after six hour breaks.

And yes, next week breaks will probably not be mentioned and having a pulse will be the major requirement.

Let me tell you a secret about seniors that micromanage and make a figurative mess, they are almost always pushed out and replaced with another senior who knows what to focus on and leaves the managing to the ops guy

MassWineGuy

This guy got here about one year ago and is probably staying a while. I like him well enough. Just wish he could stop micro managing. Bill Sullivan, came from managing BVY. Anyone know him?

Purplepackage

This guy got here about one year ago and is probably staying a while. I like him well enough. Just wish he could stop micro managing. Bill Sullivan, came from managing BVY. Anyone know him?

Just remember, when it isn't "busy" tomorrow but they try to call you in early to help with deliveries don't answer the phone

Oldfart

Hmm. I like it!

What I am actually planning to do is:

Meet with my manager to show him what the laws require.

Tell him that I've scheduled a meeting with the district manager.

Suggest that it might be more prudent if our sm voluntarily revokes the mandatory 29 minute break policy prior to my meeting with the district manager.
Mercy, thats a lot of trouble. Researching laws and all. Company policy can often supersede state laws. Like gun carry laws and pot laws. I would bet break rules could also. What is a district manager? Never heard of that position.

MassWineGuy

A district manager, maybe called the managing director, is in charge of everything in the district from Connecticut to Maine.

State and federal laws trump policy.

Upstate: Good guess. FedEx station initials have nothing to do with their locations. BVY is the main Boston station. It handles 20,000 pieces a day in non-peak.