Faceplanted

If you got 60 during the week and they want you to come in sat,

Simple call In and tell them you are literally too tired to drive to work, you have not gotten rest in 5 days and you will see them monday

Trust me, there are enough money hungry drivers, and there are enough spineless cowards to staff Saturday decently for them.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
@Jasoonis are you guys under 60 hour work week or 70 hour work week.

Here it's considered extra work. So offer from the top force from the bottom. But union says you can be forced if you hours available.

Very similar to Black Friday. While it is a holiday there's nothing in the contract (except a select few) that says you can't be forced to work that day. It only covers what you are to be paid if forced to work. Hence the 6 punch language.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Maybe everyone should read the contract and stop being such pushovers and accusing others of being whiny and lazy. We negotiated a contract and the company should uphold their end of the negotiations.

Our Local States
Article 54 Section 1
(a) The workweek shall consist of any five (5) consecutive days of
eight hours or any four (4) days of (10) hours each, exclusive of meal
period. (except as provided in sub-section (l) below)

Well that's pretty straight forward. 5 days is a work week, where does it say you are forced to work 6 or even 7. It does not.

Subsection (b) States:
Employees shall be required, if needed by the Employer, to work in
excess of eight (8) hours in any day or forty (40) hours in any week

Ok so obviously yeah with DOT hours you can't work more than 14 in a day 70 in a week, but still nothing about a 6th day or forced to be a runner.

So I don't see why everyone wants to come at me for reading the contract and refusing to be taken advantage of by the company. 5 consecutive days, 8hrs+ if needed, 14 Hours Max.

I will give the company 60Hrs a week during peak, I get it, but it's not my fault they want to be cute and try to cut corners and run drivers into the ground. We have a contract for a reason, we have a union for a reason, and sorry if I refuse to roll over and just suck it up.
Would you come to the break area by door “friend” tomorrow in the AM? The same guys will be out there talking about it again.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Nah, the only phone call you need to make is the one taking yourself out of service.

It makes me chuckle every time I hear you use that term. Maybe where you are, you can get away with that but here if we tried that they would ding us for a NCNS. Believe me, there have been numerous times I would have taken myself out of service for 3-4 days so I could keep fishing.

Faceplanted

It makes me chuckle every time I hear you use that term. Maybe where you are, you can get away with that but here if we tried that they would ding us for a NCNS. Believe me, there have been numerous times I would have taken myself out of service for 3-4 days so I could keep fishing.
How is it a no call?

You CALL... tell them you are not available for work today.

Don't lie, don't say your sick, don't say your kid is sick, just say I cannot come in to work today.... see u tomorrow.

I do this all the time. I have even called in and straight up told them I'm exhausted and don't feel comfortable operating machinery.

My fav call in I did was the day after I covered a route when the bid driver went home. It was a tropical storm. He had long driveways, didn't wanna work so I had to do it

I called in the next day and told them I wasn't Coming because my shoes were still wet and I was worried about blisters. I was out of option days at this point.

scooby0048

How is it a no call?

You CALL... tell them you are not available for work today.

Don't lie, don't say your sick, don't say your kid is sick, just say I cannot come in to work today.... see u tomorrow.

I do this all the time. I have even called in and straight up told them I'm exhausted and don't feel comfortable operating machinery.

I misspoke, you are right it wouldn't be a NCNS, but try that 3 times in 90 days and it would an attendance issue. An attendance issue similar to the way they handle NCNS.

Mason3000

Can someone point me to the the Article and Section of the Contract that says UPS can force us to work 60 hours and then be forced to be a helper. Thanks.

"This is the business we've chosen"

bee517aae6fdf18524b099208191dde3--godfather-quotes-the-godfather.jpg

scooby0048

I still have an option day left, to give you an idea of my attendance issues, and I never take nopays.

It's just the terminology that humors me. If I needed a day off, I would take it but calling in here and telling them you are taking yourself out of service would get you laughed at and on the 3rdday of being out of service, you'd be getting a warning letter.

The no pays (dead days) don't bother me so much since they started blowing our cars out. I like the extra time away from this circus.

scooby0048

And this does not create attendance issues? It amazes me how every building / center does things so differently.

Faceplanted

And this does not create attendance issues? It amazes me how every building / center does things so differently.
I barely call in when I'm out of option days. I have yet to be written up in my career for attendance.

I have had to take a cpl days this year when i was out of option days but I asked ahead of time and I haven't been filing as many greviences as I usually do. They work with me when we are cordial.

When I have option days I just call in say option 3 and hang up... sometimes I find it funny to tell them why.... I got too drunk, I have to do house work before my wife kills me ect. I'm easially amused.

My "mandatory" 6 day punch call ins are always when I'm out of option days in December. I either say I'm too tired, or have real life responsibilities to be handled.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I barely call in when I'm out of option days. I have yet to be written up in my career for attendance.

I have had to take a cpl days this year when i was out of option days but I asked ahead of time and I haven't been filing as many greviences as I usually do. They work with me when we are cordial.

When I have option days I just call in say option 3 and hang up... sometimes I find it funny to tell them why.... I got too drunk, I have to do house work before my wife kills me ect. I'm easially amused.
Option days are nice, called from the bait store one morning and had to tell them to hold on as the employee was sloshing water around from the herring tanks as he’s netting bluebacks.

scooby0048

My "mandatory" 6 day punch call ins are always when I'm out of option days in December. I either say I'm too tired, or have real life responsibilities to be handled.

3 in 90 here and they are all over you like stink on SH*. OUt for more than 3 in one stretch and you'll need a doctor's note.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you got 60 during the week and they want you to come in sat,

Simple call In and tell them you are literally too tired to drive to work, you have not gotten rest in 5 days and you will see them monday

Trust me, there are enough money hungry drivers, and there are enough spineless cowards to staff Saturday decently for them.

If you get your 60 in during the work you would be unable to drive on Saturday; however, you could be used for 10 hours as a helper.

I would personally love to make $50+/hr to be a helper for a day.