Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

Indecisi0n

You have to remember that Thanksgiving is an American holiday. Now this country is much more multi-cultural. Thanksgiving to them is just another Thursday. That Friday is no different.

And with retails stores ruining Thanksgiving for the rest of us, we as a company have to adapt to the changes. I don't like it but what choice do we have?

I remember when on Thanksgiving and New Years Day all that was open was a gas station and a Chinese restaurant.
Adapt to what?

Indecisi0n

I walked into a back room and was able to snap this picture from my phone before I was caught.

real-Daedalus-growing-human.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I hope so for the other shifts that have to work, but I know my HUB shift will only be getting straight time..
The only exception in the Central Region, as it's always been, are those who can be characterized as air support.
I would however make the argument that there are no air support employees since they are running a full operation instead of the one provided for in Article 40 for air operations on named holidays.

HBGPreloader

Here in the Central PA region, ARTICLE 58 - HOLIDAYS & SUNDAY WORK, the supplement notes...

Section 1
Holidays under this Agreement shall be New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, December 31st.

Section 2
All time worked in job classifications subject to hourly rates and worked on Sundays or holidays shall be paid at double (2) time in addition to the holiday pay, except in the case of any employee whose regular work period starts on a Sunday or holiday evening or ends on a Sunday or holiday morning...

Section 3
When operating schedules require that part time employees work on a holiday, they shall be given the next day off as the holiday. If required to work that next day, they shall be given the premium pay for holiday work. If not required to work that next day, they shall be given holiday pay. However, the work done on the holiday itself shall be paid for at regular rates.

In other words, the full-timers are making out like bandits. However, the part-timers are getting (CENSORED) - straight pay for working a holiday.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I predicted this years ago when we wouldn't fight for our Christmas turkeys. then the safe driving gift catalog went. now a holiday.

harassment has stepped up over the last couple years and hardly a wimper from hourlies. 9.5 requests are ignored. and on and on.

don't you see what is happening? it's like the proverbial frog in the pot on the stove. he waits too long before being boiled to death.

I have to hand it to the company though. I would do the same thing. push until im pushed back and we all know that is not going to happen.

we'll come back to this thread years from now when the union is gone.

10 point

I predicted this years ago when we wouldn't fight for our Christmas turkeys. then the safe driving gift catalog went. now a holiday.

harassment has stepped up over the last couple years and hardly a wimper from hourlies. 9.5 requests are ignored. and on and on.

don't you see what is happening? it's like the proverbial frog in the pot on the stove. he waits too long before being boiled to death.

I have to hand it to the company though. I would do the same thing. push until im pushed back and we all know that is not going to happen.

As long as there's UPS management there'll be unionized hourlies.

JackStraw

Yep. UPS is a very patient company. They'll wait.

RealPerson

The only exception in the Central Region, as it's always been, are those who can be characterized as air support.
I would however make the argument that there are no air support employees since they are running a full operation instead of the one provided for in Article 40 for air operations on named holidays.
For me there is a little section that says if my Regular work day starts or stops on a holiday then it is straight time. SO, UPS starts us at 1159 PM. but my entire shift is worked on a holiday!!!
SUCKS... but oh well