Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
For the money they are going to pay us, for virtually just residential, YOU ARE INSANE if you don't want to work. So many businesses,schools,colleges etc will be closed plus half your pickups will not be open.

The day only sucks for the mall guys. :consoling:

undies

Manager said today that there will be more routes in than last year...but plenty of folks still won't have to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For the money they are going to pay us, for virtually just residential, YOU ARE INSANE if you don't want to work. So many businesses,schools,colleges etc will be closed plus half your pickups will not be open.

The day only sucks for the mall guys. :consoling:

I have started asking my customers if they will be open or not on Black Friday and so far only one has said that they will be closed. The college said that they are allowed to close for the day but are not sure if they will or not----they will probably come in and then leave after they get their delivery, which is usually around 11 am. Walmart is still not sure what they are doing that day.

I am on vacation that week so I really couldn't care less but I am doing this to try to take care of my cover driver and PDS.

UPS4Life

Yes, it is a bit confusing. And, yes, the part-timers will receive an additional 4 hours "holiday" pay for working black Friday.
However, since we are not working that Saturday and we are not full time, we will not receive "premium pay" for the hours we work on Friday. We will only be paid straight time for working the holiday while the full-time employees get double time.
But you're still working Monday. Saturday is not a normal work day so they're not giving you the day off

Sent using BrownCafe App

RealPerson

But you're still working Monday. Saturday is not a normal work day so they're not giving you the day off

Sent using BrownCafe App

EXACTLY....
This is MY plan on filing for Double pay.
This is the First time it will happen (maybe) for my shift.
I still think if volume is low, they will take volunteers. anyway...
Since the Holiday will Neither be Advanced or Delayed... (just like the people being forced to work Friday) then we would qualify for premium pay!!

brostalss

We got official notice on Friday. Black Friday is a normal day. All drivers must show up.

Since we all have to show up, I hope they keep all routes in. We do our routes and go home.

Not holding my breath on that scenario.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The company simply held off the "official" announcement at the center levels, to insure they made it past the vacation selection period. Once done, those that didnt elect to take friday off, would be subject to work.

ALL centers made the announcement at the same time and now all drivers not scheduled for an fhp or vacation will be required to work.

All packages will be delivered, unlike years past. Pickups will be made as the company uses the next 30 days to promote it to the customers.

The best way to handle the day is to work a full day, volunteer to help other drivers and make as much money as you can since its holiday pay all day long.

Why rush to get done?

From time and a half to double time (depending on your rider) plus 8 hours straight time pay, its a good day to make an easy $600.00 bucks if it takes you all day long.

Of course, the company on friday will try to push you to work under 6 hours and skip lunch and simply circle out, but thats where you say "no thanks, ill take $600.00 for making me come in today".

TOS.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
The company simply held off the "official" announcement at the center levels, to insure they made it past the vacation selection period. Once done, those that didnt elect to take friday off, would be subject to work.

ALL centers made the announcement at the same time and now all drivers not scheduled for an fhp or vacation will be required to work.

All packages will be delivered, unlike years past. Pickups will be made as the company uses the next 30 days to promote it to the customers.

The best way to handle the day is to work a full day, volunteer to help other drivers and make as much money as you can since its holiday pay all day long.

Why rush to get done?

From time and a half to double time (depending on your rider) plus 8 hours straight time pay, its a good day to make an easy $600.00 bucks if it takes you all day long.

Of course, the company on friday will try to push you to work under 6 hours and skip lunch and simply circle out, but thats where you say "no thanks, ill take $600.00 for making me come in today".

TOS.

$600?

With Holiday pay it'll be in the $1100 ballpark.

Our managers made the mistake of posting in every possible location the Black Friday was a "scheduled work day". The BA and all the stewards snapped them up and already made it known that since it is a "scheduled work day" then all rules apply especially drivers maxing out their available hours because of outside contractors on property.

rod

Retired 22 years
Contrary to what a lot of people are saying on here the Friday after Thanksgiving is just a normal day for most businesses. Same goes for Dec. 31. Very few people get 2 days off for Thanksgiving and New Years. Enjoy it while its there if you still get it off because I doubt it will last much longer.