Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You have to remember that Thanksgiving is an American holiday. Now this country is much more multi-cultural. Thanksgiving to them is just another Thursday. That Friday is no different.

I know plenty of foreign born Americans who now celebrate Thanksgiving. They just incorporate their national food on the side with a turkey.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For me there is a little section that says if my Regular work day starts or stops on a holiday then it is straight time. SO, UPS starts us at 1159 PM. but my entire shift is worked on a holiday!!!
SUCKS... but oh well
What does "regular workday" mean?
Is this a regular work day?
I could argue NO.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
What does "regular workday" mean?
Is this a regular work day?
I could argue NO.

I've had several work nights begin on holiday, but end on the day after. Our region sold us out. I attempted to file grievances to get paid double time for working on a holiday, but my local said it was a long held "past practice", and that no grievance would be filed. A couple of other times, in identical situations, they PAID us double time. It took UPS almost two months, but they ended up deducting the extra pay from our checks on one payday. Again, we raised hell, but our local told us because of past practice, nothing could be done.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I've had several work nights begin on holiday, but end on the day after. Our region sold us out. I attempted to file grievances to get paid double time for working on a holiday, but my local said it was a long held "past practice", and that no grievance would be filed. A couple of other times, in identical situations, they PAID us double time. It took UPS almost two months, but they ended up deducting the extra pay from our checks on one payday. Again, we raised hell, but our local told us because of past practice, nothing could be done.

What Region ?

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Central. Article 15, Sec. 5, I believe. Pretty vague. It reads both ways.

"There shall be no premium pay for hours worked on a holiday by employees when their regular jobs begin or end on the holiday. Their holiday is either advanced or delayed, but is nevertheless observed and paid as a holiday."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

It's the same language since 1971.

Other Local or State agreements going back to 1968.... say the same thing.

-Bug-

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
"There shall be no premium pay for hours worked on a holiday by employees when their regular jobs begin or end on the holiday. Their holiday is either advanced or delayed, but is nevertheless observed and paid as a holiday."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

It's the same language since 1971.

Other Local or State agreements going back to 1968.... say the same thing.

-Bug-

That is clear for package car drivers, who always work in one 24HR calender day, so they either work on a holiday or they have they day off paid. But in feeders, there can be a lot of jobs that start on a calender day, and finish on the next day. Or vice versa. And at some point, long before I came into feeders, the union agreed to pay straight time for someone working a few hours on the holiday leading into the following day. OR, someone starting on the day before the holiday, but finishing on the actual holiday, even if it is only a few hours in both occasions.

To me, working on a holiday is working on a holiday, regardless of how many hours were worked. Our local disagrees. My argument was that I was due for double pay. And the worst case scenario was that I should be paid double pay for the hours worked on the actual holiday. Neither happens here. I was told it wouldn't matter if I filed the grievance, because it wouldn't be filed, due to past practices.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That is clear for package car drivers.

The language only defines "employees".

To me, working on a holiday is working on a holiday, regardless of how many hours were worked. Our local disagrees.

Your Local understands the language.

I was told it wouldn't matter if I filed the grievance, because it wouldn't be filed, due to past practices.

You have every right to file a grievance. If your Local refuses to process it....

File Labor Board charges.

Failure.... for "Duty of Fair Representation"

Google it.

-Bug-

UPS4Life

Here in the Central PA region, ARTICLE 58 - HOLIDAYS & SUNDAY WORK, the supplement notes...

Section 1
Holidays under this Agreement shall be New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, December 31st.

Section 2
All time worked in job classifications subject to hourly rates and worked on Sundays or holidays shall be paid at double (2) time in addition to the holiday pay, except in the case of any employee whose regular work period starts on a Sunday or holiday evening or ends on a Sunday or holiday morning...

Section 3
When operating schedules require that part time employees work on a holiday, they shall be given the next day off as the holiday. If required to work that next day, they shall be given the premium pay for holiday work. If not required to work that next day, they shall be given holiday pay. However, the work done on the holiday itself shall be paid for at regular rates.

In other words, the full-timers are making out like bandits. However, the part-timers are getting (CENSORED) - straight pay for working a holiday.
I read that about 8 times and somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will get holiday pay because they took your holiday away. You're required to work Monday as well as Friday. The last part where it says work done on the holiday will not be holiday pay I THINK applies to night shift who crossed the midnight line but that would only be if you go the next day off.

Example Day shift has been screwed here before with the 4th of July being forced to work Sunday but then given Monday off. I think they're saying you won't get holiday pay if they're already giving you Monday off and you work say Sunday night 22:30- Monday 3:30 but then have Monday night as your holiday. I know those aren't day shift hours but I had to show the midnight transfer

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I walked into a back room and was able to snap this picture from my phone before I was caught.

real-Daedalus-growing-human.jpg

That explains Upstate.......

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The language only defines "employees".

Your Local understands the language.

You have every right to file a grievance. If your Local refuses to process it....

File Labor Board charges.

Failure.... for "Duty of Fair Representation"

Google it.

-Bug-

Where I think this scenario differs is that the Friday after Thanksgiving isn't a "regular workday" and neither is this particular Saturday.
The sole reason Dracula is working this shift is because of the company's interpretation of Article 15 of the Central Region Supplement.
If this were a holiday bordered by a "regular workday", this language would make more sense.
I would file the grievance this year and labor charges if the local refuses to process the grievance.

Last edited:

HBGPreloader

I read that about 8 times and somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will get holiday pay because they took your holiday away. You're required to work Monday as well as Friday. The last part where it says work done on the holiday will not be holiday pay I THINK applies to night shift who crossed the midnight line but that would only be if you go the next day off.

Example Day shift has been screwed here before with the 4th of July being forced to work Sunday but then given Monday off. I think they're saying you won't get holiday pay if they're already giving you Monday off and you work say Sunday night 22:30- Monday 3:30 but then have Monday night as your holiday. I know those aren't day shift hours but I had to show the midnight transfer

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes, it is a bit confusing. And, yes, the part-timers will receive an additional 4 hours "holiday" pay for working black Friday.
However, since we are not working that Saturday and we are not full time, we will not receive "premium pay" for the hours we work on Friday. We will only be paid straight time for working the holiday while the full-time employees get double time.

BrownBrokeDown

I don't think the hubs will be working. Maybe a few Feeder drivers. Maybe one of the shop guys. Maybe a few Twilight guys. There is a lot more to UPS then just the delivery drivers and preloaders. Everyone else will be off as it is a UPS Holiday.
We were told that it is mandatory for our entire Twilight shift to show up...no skeleton crew, the entire shift.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I had a talk with an OC today. They are running a regular day here in my 804 building on Black Friday. However, anyone with seniority who wants the day off will get it. If we choose to work, it's double time plus holiday pay with a guarantee for both PTers and drivers....just like Election Day used to be. Yup, I'm working.