Former 28 Year Vet Driver Gives Me a Heads Up - On Topic

Siveriano

l
Same here so many young kids trying to get the job done too fast. I had one who ran right into a tree. Not even sure how that happens.
Last week a new hire from another center ran into a tree got scared and ended backing into a parked car.

The other 4 centers in our building go ORION, but rumors have it that we wont get it as we only put few miles (15~18) on our Pc, our area is really dense having routes covering as little as 16 blocks, 8 going down and 8 coming up on the side street.

Foamer Pyle

Agree. If you are told to follow Orion, follow it. Your day is what you make of it.
I disagree, because Following Orion sometimes means unloading many packages to get to one. Now you might say "just do it, that's what your getting paid to do," but I refuse to do stupid $hi+. Especially if it means climbing over and stepping on boxes, that could result in an injury. Management keeps telling everyone that Orion doesn't tell you to back in a driveway. Orion cannot speak, but you sure can tell where the next stop is, and that Orion wants you to turn around in a driveway. Orion created a bunch of unnecessary work, and makes it very hard for a noob to run a route blind. I have turned it off many times, once my airs are completed. I can see why there are so many accidents happening. I think the company is getting what they deserved. Wells Fargo pressured employees to sell, and they got caught opening fake accounts. UPS is pressuring drivers to deliver more stops, and more people are crashing and getting hurt. You reap what you sow.

barnyard

KTM rider
I disagree, because Following Orion sometimes means unloading many packages to get to one.

I have to admit that I have had days where I skipped a section to get rid of bulk and then I went right back to it.

This week, I am on a route that the regular guy routinely beats the plan by 20 miles. I have been within 2 miles.

I could run fewer miles and be all indignant about how stupid Orion is or I can just run it, shrug my shoulders and say, "whatever, its fine."

PT Car Washer

My routes were almost all rural. Walking off quarter mile drives was not an option.

Shoot, I EC'd entire sections if the roads were bad enough.
If the rural roads are bad enough (doesn't take much) it would be days before the truck could make it out. No tow truck is going to get stuck trying to pull a dumb driver out.

Boulevard859710

I disagree, because Following Orion sometimes means unloading many packages to get to one. Now you might say "just do it, that's what your getting paid to do," but I refuse to do stupid $hi+. Especially if it means climbing over and stepping on boxes, that could result in an injury. Management keeps telling everyone that Orion doesn't tell you to back in a driveway. Orion cannot speak, but you sure can tell where the next stop is, and that Orion wants you to turn around in a driveway. Orion created a bunch of unnecessary work, and makes it very hard for a noob to run a route blind. I have turned it off many times, once my airs are completed. I can see why there are so many accidents happening. I think the company is getting what they deserved. Wells Fargo pressured employees to sell, and they got caught opening fake accounts. UPS is pressuring drivers to deliver more stops, and more people are crashing and getting hurt. You reap what you sow.
I was thinking today and also previous days that ORION has got to be the biggest piece of :censored2: ever conceived.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Driver Says: That, he wouldn't want to start driving now because ORION is being strictly enforced on the new drivers. He knows that I will be applicable of driving FT and told me that he can slack off of ORION because he's been with company for so long.

Is this true? Does ORION really make UPS Drivers miserable?
The problem with new drivers is that thy ONLY know how to run by Orion and Orion alone. They have no idea how to read a map and make adjustments as necessary.
Robots. We are building robots.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If the rural roads are bad enough (doesn't take much) it would be days before the truck could make it out. No tow truck is going to get stuck trying to pull a dumb driver out.
Once when I was young and dumb I got stuck way out in the country walked to a house and called the boss he sent a wrecker. First wrecker got stuck second wrecker winch broke third wrecker finally got us all out. Took about 6 hours I got back to bldg about 2200 bill was $1400 boss not happy