Frustration, laziness, BOXES!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by arice11, Mar 4, 2015.

1. arice11

arice11 Active Member

Here's to another rant on a legitimate subject. Today in the sort aisle, I watched in amazement as the new-hire young kid stood by staring at his cell phone while boxes fell around him. The oldest employee in the unload went over to the kid and starting picking up his boxes for him while the young one just stood there.
    Here is my frustration, this kid was hired during peak and never should have stayed. I know dozens of struggling people who are far better workers and tough as nails.
    This kid is constantly failing the 45 minute trailer time-trial, he will not sort quickly he cannot SPA he is without work ethic and can't put the right boxes on the assigned belts.
    Why does UPS bother keeping these people? I almost got fired after 3 weeks and not being quick enough. I snapped back and became one of the fastest unloaders and best sorters in the building.
    If there was any sense in management, this kid would be fired or sent to smalls or somewhere else. I could bring in any one home-boy I know or any member of my band and they would be a greater help.
    I would be greatly displeased to learn that he gained seniority and have his lazy uninterested and unwilling behavior protected by our union.
    I have often spoke with my Union Steward about this particular employee and he agrees with me...however there is nothing we can do about it other than watch him stand there while boxes slide past and his only interest is his smartphone.

2. rod

rod retired and happy

I bet he is related in some way to your center manager or one of his friends and was hired as a favor.

3. Future management?

4. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

If he wants to go into management he needs to learn they aren't boxes. They are PARCELS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Units of work.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

Things like this have a way of working out usually. Instead of trying to get another hourly employee fired, I'd mind my own bidness. Sounds like you have enough problems of your own. I'd worry about you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

UOW

8. I get too many of those.

9. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Well-Known Member

I hate UOW's

10. Number24

Number24 #24

#1 Worry about yourself and not how other people work. #2 If you're noticing his lack of work ethic and want to do something about it, hop into management if it bothers you so much. #3 It'll catch up to him sooner or later if he continues to work the way he does. Your sup should of noticed his work ethic a long time ago already if you as an employee have done so.

11. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Isn't Affirmative Action just grand?

12. MeltedSnowman

MeltedSnowman Member

Why does he have a cell phone!???!!??? Clean in! Clean out!

13. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

It's a Obamaphone. Never detected in any workplace.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Kush

Kush Member

Is that true?

15. Oh these kids and their cell phones, next he'll be asking some babe to go to Dairy Queen for a romantic evening!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. If he made seniority there is nothing we can do about it. We can't fire him for performance numbers. As long as he is on time, doesn't have misloads up the wazoo, and doesn't do anything illegal we can't fire him. The union will back him up.
    Because you were still a probationary employee. We could fire you then.
    Mostly because Obamaphone owners don't work.

17. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

Don't worry you being fast and a great sorter will be rewarded. That reward will be more work while the person who sucks gets to go home early and do nothing. Every person who works hard, does their job is the first one rewards are handing out to.

18. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Instead of being concerned about others, just concentrate on doing your job.

19. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Sounds like managment has a problem.

20. HEFFERNAN

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

Employees like that will always eventually get management pressure on them.
    They'll conform or quit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List