Glad I'm out of this Part2

STFXG

Sure GT, you might make money with them in some demographics. Out where I am and still on the old IC format. There's no corezone, no van availability, no fuel supplement. Now add to that 200+ miles per day most of it unpaved township turkey paths and about 50 maybe 60 stops about the same number of boxes and don't forget getting stuck a couple of times every day and have to send a wrecker out to get them.
A couple times a day? Sounds like you should have learned how to use a weather exemption.

STFXG

I speak from having 3 HD routes and a forced supplemental in a semi-rural co-lo. Mgmt also REQUIRED me to drive 50 miles each way from one route to another route whenever that driver was overloaded. and they thought I had less than 11 hours of work. Try to make money on that when mgmt doesn't care if you make money. Sometimes as few as six packages, but as many as 44. 6 packages didn't pay for gas, let alone time, and 44 packages after 7 hours servicing my own PSA plus the 100 mile round trip was impossible. I ran a supp during peak, but they kept assigning the same extra area after peak. I needed to have 4 drivers plus myself available everyday, in case one was sick. I paid $12.50 an hour, plus a bonus per package after what I calculated as an 8 hour day. My drivers made about $125 a day. No benefits. I made less after all expenses, including actual depreciation. I kept my vehicles maintained, and replaced every 2 years, always owing more that value. In rural areas, you can't use an unreliable vehicle, and 200+k miles is pushing it.

Others feel fine paying as little as possible, but they don't get my respect as entrepreneurs. In addition, I always had to have extra drivers ready to go. To give everyone enough work to keep them available, I had to drive less. But I still needed to be at the terminal, even earlier than when I had just one route. Then I had to be available to train, interview, rescue, replace a driver any time.
You sound like a pushover. Were you given written notice to comply or did they scare ya? Ha

FedGT

It shows that they are forcing you to have employees. Their interest is in avoiding labor costs.

They don't force me to do anything. I create new routes, I make money off new routes, I personally don't see the down side but that is why they prefer businessmen to own routes not drivers.

dmac1

You sound like a pushover. Were you given written notice to comply or did they scare ya? Ha
I had my contract cancelled without notice. Then fought and I won based on arbitration clause being invalid and unenforcable. Fedex caved because hey didn't want to challenge and set a precedent.dex caved.

dmac1

They don't force me to do anything. I create new routes, I make money off new routes, I personally don't see the down side but that is why they prefer businessmen to own routes not drivers.

Try to shut down an unprofitable supp. or refuse to take work you never contracted to take. Then you'll see how independent you are. Just the fact that you are an essential piece of fedex is nearly enough proof for a court to determine that you are an employee.

FedGT

I turn down work all the time. I also run other contractors work all the time with/without them knowing. I turned down 10 stops this week that were mine because loaders put them on or next to the wrong trucks.

Why shut down a supp? The only "unprofitable" sups I have are what myself and driver manager run just so my guys have an aisle or close to an aisle everyday but every 6 months to a year it turns into another full route. It is my own doing so my guys can stay happier.

STFXG

Try to shut down an unprofitable supp. or refuse to take work you never contracted to take. Then you'll see how independent you are. Just the fact that you are an essential piece of fedex is nearly enough proof for a court to determine that you are an employee.
Im not going to pretend... If you were solely HD I can see how you can get screwed. The fact that your work area isn't defined is shadey. You only have proprietary interest in one zip code and they can move volume to you (for those that don't do HD). I hear ya.

FedGT

I agree. I looked at some HD routes before buying my Ground routes and there was no way I could get the numbers to work. i am sure it can be difficult.

Bounty

I turn down work all the time. I also run other contractors work all the time with/without them knowing. I turned down 10 stops this week that were mine because loaders put them on or next to the wrong trucks.

Why shut down a supp? The only "unprofitable" sups I have are what myself and driver manager run just so my guys have an aisle or close to an aisle everyday but every 6 months to a year it turns into another full route. It is my own doing so my guys can stay happier.
I call bs

STFXG

I've said it before... My HD routes doing the same miles and stops make about 2/3 what my ground do in the same area.

The biggest screw job on HD is not getting paid return miles. You don't get paid from your last stop all the way back to the terminal. I've got one that doesn't get paid for 50 miles on a 250 mile route.

It will be fine

I've said it before... My HD routes doing the same miles and stops make about 2/3 what my ground do in the same area.

The biggest screw job on HD is not getting paid return miles. You don't get paid from your last stop all the way back to the terminal. I've got one that doesn't get paid for 50 miles on a 250 mile route.
You get paid for miles?

FedGT

I call bs

I don't care what you call. I have no reason to lie. I am not going to drive out of my way if their people can't do their job. If things are close by I take them if not I tell them they can take care of it tomorrow and get the loaders to do their job and learn how to count.

dmac1

I was already at 15% 0f the termonal, and they would need to add 6 routes before I could add another. Nowhere does the contract limit you to 15%. That is fedex control. I had opportunity to buy half the service area of the terminal, but fedex denied. Where was my potential to change a supp into a contracted route. I had the best ontime % of all HD at the terminal, which is why they tried to abuse my ability.

FedGT

No the specific number is not in the contract but granting an area is. You can call it "control" but it is protection from stupidity and monopoly. Every terminal is different but they have no interest in the risk of single owned terminals due to past history and lack of contingency plans.
You seem to forget the reason why things are so much stricter now is mainly because original contractors abused the system. Go out and deliver if I feel like it mentality or bring half a truck back if I don't feel well. Look at the other side of the equation for two seconds, how would any of us grow as contractors if no one was picking up any boxes or nothing was anywhere close to on time. There is plenty to be unhappy with on the current system I will agree, but we all can't claim to be the only victim we were screwed by contractors who skewed the system due to lack of work ethic and responsibility. None of us could honestly say that Ground would be the logistics monster that it is if the first system was still in place.

bacha29

Come on GT. You create new routes? All you're doing is creating another supplemental. If you're ISP then all you're doing is adding new trucks into you're assigned area. If might pay for itself if you're in a stop rich, low imput area are your pay rate is low. If you don't have that luxury you will lose money guaranteed. GT i do resent your baseless claim that the strict command and control you're experiencing is the fault of first generation contractors. Iwas a Day 1 one of 4 and given the hardship and deprevation we had to endure just to keep that terminal from closing twice in it's first 3 years of operation is whyyou and your collegues will respect the first generation contractors regardless of whether you or not you have the character qualities needed to do so

FedGT

Considering how many stories I get from the first gens about most of the first gens and how many lost contracts on forgery, lack of work ethic, despise for any pickups, etc. I am not too indebted. Power to the ones that did a good job but I am not pulling info out of thin air, it is what was told by others that were there. Unlike you I don't claim they were all bad, as you claim most of us multi contractors pay nothing, can't treat our drivers well, and are liars if we refute you.
I pay just fine and there are other threads going into that, I'm tired of talking about it. I'm not sure what your point is about creating a route, yes you create a supplemental, those supplementals turn to high to max thresholds when I make them, fairly easy to do when you have many routes (they make money). I have gained two PSAs in the last two years from sups I created, I would think that breakdown was pretty self explanatory.

M I Indy

No the specific number is not in the contract but granting an area is. You can call it "control" but it is protection from stupidity and monopoly. Every terminal is different but they have no interest in the risk of single owned terminals due to past history and lack of contingency plans.
You seem to forget the reason why things are so much stricter now is mainly because original contractors abused the system. Go out and deliver if I feel like it mentality or bring half a truck back if I don't feel well. Look at the other side of the equation for two seconds, how would any of us grow as contractors if no one was picking up any boxes or nothing was anywhere close to on time. There is plenty to be unhappy with on the current system I will agree, but we all can't claim to be the only victim we were screwed by contractors who skewed the system due to lack of work ethic and responsibility. None of us could honestly say that Ground would be the logistics monster that it is if the first system was still in place.

So do you think an area is granted based on contractor abilities or the percentage of terminal routes already acquired? We know that answer, since X tells us what the benchmark is. Protection from stupidity and monopoly? That's funny! X should do due diligence, but, they are stupid and monopolize the contractors. Maybe the instances you write of were the result of constant abuse and control exercised by X. Every terminal is different! Things are more stricter? IWBF writes that you have much more freedoms these days. You seem to forget that. Original contractors were abused, they paved the way for you smug types. You have what you have today thanks to them. It's a monster alright.......MONSTER SCAM!

Last edited: