Good Quotes

moreluck

golden ticket member
The best quote of any era......
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
Public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be Tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be Curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work Instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC

So, evidently we've learned absolutely nothing over the past 2,069 years.

moreluck

golden ticket member
True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

moreluck

golden ticket member
I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. ~Abraham Lincoln~

America is a tune. It must be sung together. ~Gerald Stanley Lee, Crowds~

We can't all be Washingtons, but we can all be patriots. ~Charles friend. Browne~

What is the essence of America? Finding and maintaining that perfect, delicate balance between freedom "to" and freedom "from." ~Marilyn vos Savant, in Parade~

[P]atriotism... is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. ~Adlai Stevenson~

A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis~

When an American says that he loves his country, he means not only that he loves the New England hills, the prairies glistening in the sun, the wide and rising plains, the great mountains, and the sea. He means that he loves an inner air, an inner light in which freedom lives and in which a man can draw the breath of self-respect. ~Adlai Stevenson~

moreluck

golden ticket member
"My father always said, Never trust anyone whose TV is bigger than their bookshelf." ~Emilia Clarke~

"The man who forgets to be grateful has fallen asleep in life." ~Robert Louis Stevenson~

"Airports see more sincere kisses than wedding halls. The walls of hospitals have heard more prayers than the walls of churches." ~anonymous~

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Work begins when the fear of doing nothing at all finally trumps the terror of doing it badly." ~Alain De Botton~

"True heroism...is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." ~Arthur Ashe~

moreluck

golden ticket member
The most memorable days usually end with the dirtiest clothes.

Grace isn't a little prayer you say before a meal. It's a way of life.

Follow your heart. Just remember to take your brain with you.

When you stumble make it part of the dance.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Quotes for Nt'l Underwear Day.....

“You will treat my underwear with the reverence it deserves. Next time, you will stop and appreciate--hell, you'll marvel at the miracle of my ass clad in silk.”
― Molly Harper, How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf

“Always wear pretty underwear, on account of you just never know.”
― Jill Conner Browne, The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love

Life is like underwear, should be changed twice a day.”
― Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing

It's a kilt, :censored2:. It's only a skirt if I'm wearing underwear.”
― Damon Suede, Hot Head

Does all your underwear look like it belongs in a high-class strip show?”
― Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Fancy Pants

moreluck

golden ticket member
We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or grand moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

moreluck

golden ticket member
Every time you feel yourself being pulled into other people's drama, repeat these words......"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

moreluck

golden ticket member
A real friend is someone who knows how totally crazy you are but is still willing to be seen with you in public.

I'm up...if you're expecting bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, go catch a squirrel.

Be nice to nurses. They keep the doctors from killing you.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Books are personal, passionate. They stir emotions and spark thoughts in a manner all their own, and I'm convinced that the shattered world has less hope for repair if reading becomes an even smaller part of it."
Frank Bruni - N.Y. Times op-ed columnist

moreluck

golden ticket member
"In our culture, we have these twin myths: One is that genius falls fully formed from the sky, and people who are truly brilliant don't have to work. The other is that anyone can do anything. Neither is remotely true."
Maggie Shipstead novelist, in Entertainment Weekly

moreluck

golden ticket member
Don't think ill of crazy people - you may be one of them.

Be hospitable to strangers. You have been a stranger yourself.

It's good to dream, but the urge to perform is not in itself an indication of talent.

Flattery is the reverse side of malicious gossip and this coin is quickly flipped. Beware.

~Garrison Keillor~

moreluck

golden ticket member
"People have made perfectly rational decisions that turned out to be dumber than dirt. There just doesn't seem to be any way around this."
~Garrison Keillor~

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Don't cry over spilled milk. By this time tomorrow, it'll be free yogurt." ~Stephen Colbert~

"I think the expression 'It's a small world' is really a euphemism for 'I keep running into people I can't stand'" ~Brock Cohen~

"Where there's a will, there's a relative." ~Ricky Gervais~

"A watched pot never boils, but it does get paranoid." ~Lesley Wake~

moreluck

golden ticket member
"A penny saved is a penny that will sit around in a jar for 5 years." ~Keating Thomas~

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." ~George Carlin~

"If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in a library?" ~Lily Tomlin~

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." ~MLK~

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." ~Maya Angelou~

"The fundamental cause of trouble is that . . . the stupid are cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt." ~Bertrand Russell~