Got rid of ORIAN

Re-Raise

The "system" doesn't find the " better " way the people / person that have no experience delivering packages and very little area knowledge enters the information into the system in the order they came up with because it looks good on paper..[/QUOTE]

I will ask you again....

What were the results?

You said initially and imply again that there were no benefits.

Were time AND miles reduced? Paid day? SPORH?

If they reduced why?

I will keep an open mind on the value of the system. I wonder if management who are assigned to implement the program will do the same?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm with P-Man on this. Everyone (myself included) likes to complain about how UPS does things, but the bottom line is that they know how to make money and they are not going to waste time and resources implementing something that won't save/make them money in the long term. If it works they'll keep it, if it doesn't they'll drop it. Personally I don't really care, I'll continue to work as directed as long as my check keeps clearing on Friday.

slantnosechevy

The miles reduction is coming from telematics and from centers about to be put on telematics. The bonus babies and dishonest drivers have reduced their inflated miles. That's what your seeing. Orian hasn't changed the way honest drivers have been delivering since day one. Everyday is like sitting at a blackjack table. You deliver the hand that's dealt to you. The company has never accepted the fact that the honest drivers don't want to be out there any longer than they have to be. All these plans have been created to satisfy an underlying thought that operations, whether management or hourly are dishonest when in reality it's a small percentage. UPS is like congress. Pass more laws because we don't know how to enforce the ones already in place. UPS has the best workforce on the planet, they just don't want to pay for it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I will keep an open mind on the value of the system. I wonder if management who are assigned to implement the program will do the same?

Keeping a truly open mind involves the willingness to admit that one is wrong about something. I dont see management spending big bucks on a system and then admitting after the fact that they were wrong about it. A more likely outcome...is that if the system doesnt work they will go ahead and pretend that it is working anyway, and then focus their energy on assigning blame for the resulting problems onto the hourlies who are stuck with it. Sort of like time studies, only on a larger scale.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
my fear is that with the new system will come another production push and tighter allowances,, its already year round peak

soberups

my fear is that with the new system will come another production push and tighter allowances,, its already year round peak

Let them push. I made $1200 in penalty pay last year from filing over 9.5 grievances....maybe this year I can double that!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Still no one seems to know the technical breakdown of this ORIAN? Or is failing to divulge that information ;)

Not necessarily what it is and it's function, but how does it operate?

dogs.bite.me

Still no one seems to know the technical breakdown of this ORIAN? Or is failing to divulge that information ;)

Not necessarily what it is and it's function, but how does it operate?

All stops are plotted on the map. GPS figures miles between stops and calculates a route that is "most efficient" It takes a while for them to get the businesses right and so forth, but it puts the stuff in the right order, say working a highway. All is in pretty good order. However, there are stops that are screwed up and a lot of times braking off so you don't miss businesses. Then the miles you would have saved doing it their way are lost.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
All stops are plotted on the map. GPS figures miles between stops and calculates a route that is "most efficient" It takes a while for them to get the businesses right and so forth, but it puts the stuff in the right order, say working a highway. All is in pretty good order. However, there are stops that are screwed up and a lot of times braking off so you don't miss businesses. Then the miles you would have saved doing it their way are lost.

Sounds no worse than having a bad EDD for the day.

soberups

Does the system factor time in, or mileage only? In other words, if you could save 1/4 of a mile at the cost of being stuck in traffic for 20 minutes waiting to make 6 left turns would it tell you to go that way anyway?

Also...do you still have the freedom to make decisions based upon logic and common sense, or is your management team all over your butt to generate a particular number in order to meet a quota?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Tell me why every single one of the locations significantly saved time AND miles.

Maybe the reason there was a savings, if that's actually true, was the same reason there was a savings when edd (or any other system) was implemented.

Temporary increased attention to load quality and misloads, which went back in the hole as soon as attention went away. Also bolstered by demands that the new system MUST appear to be a success, utilizing whatever means necessary to cram victory down the throat of common sense (management shuttling misloads, 3 day rides, drivers skipping personal time to avoid a 3 day ride, on and on and on) to give the impression of a resounding SUCCESS!

Hooray!! More technology must always be good for us, regardless of whether or not it fulfills it's intended purpose. It's just another psychological bullwhip.

I cant wait for an upgrade that actually shows the shareholders how much money is saved by having management working their own job plus doing at least some hourly work to compensate for the imperfect systems we all try to make look perfect. I think that's a metric that should be posted for everyone to see.

soberups

My sup is a real stickler for the method of pulling your next few deliveries forward into the 30-60" selection area in order to minimize time spent in the back.

Will this method be changed to reflect the fact that ORIAN will be continuously updating and adjusting your delivery order? Or will we be expected to continously shuffle those package around every time ORIAN changes its mind about what our next stop will be?

From what I have read about ORIAN I can see how, theoretically at least, the system could be a benefit for the driver who is delivering an area that he is unfamiliar with. My concerns about ORIAN have nothing to do with the system itself, and everthing to do with the stupid and desperate lengths that our management teams are likely to go to in order to generate the metrics and meet the quotas that Corporate will be demanding when the system is implemented.

I am reminded of a famous quote from a soldier during the Viet Nam war..."we had to destroy the village in order to save it." Something tells we we are going to be destroying some villages in order to save a mile and show up as 80% on an ORIAN report. I hope I am wrong. I dont think I will be.

dogs.bite.me

Does the system factor time in, or mileage only? In other words, if you could save 1/4 of a mile at the cost of being stuck in traffic for 20 minutes waiting to make 6 left turns would it tell you to go that way anyway?

Also...do you still have the freedom to make decisions based upon logic and common sense, or is your management team all over your butt to generate a particular number in order to meet a quota?

My sup is a real stickler for the method of pulling your next few deliveries forward into the 30-60" selection area in order to minimize time spent in the back.

Will this method be changed to reflect the fact that ORIAN will be continuously updating and adjusting your delivery order? Or will we be expected to continously shuffle those package around every time ORIAN changes its mind about what our next stop will be?

From what I have read about ORIAN I can see how, theoretically at least, the system could be a benefit for the driver who is delivering an area that he is unfamiliar with. My concerns about ORIAN have nothing to do with the system itself, and everthing to do with the stupid and desperate lengths that our management teams are likely to go to in order to generate the metrics and meet the quotas that Corporate will be demanding when the system is implemented.

I am reminded of a famous quote from a soldier during the Viet Nam war..."we had to destroy the village in order to save it." Something tells we we are going to be destroying some villages in order to save a mile and show up as 80% on an ORIAN report. I hope I am wrong. I dont think I will be.

We were on stage one, and that is all i can tell you. It factored in mileage. Yes you are still free to make decisions and run the route the "right" way...

It is a decent system for new people yes. But just like EDD, I imagine Stop counts will go up again because UPS will say that we dont have to think.

And the loading system for this sucks... You will be delivering in the morning and have to crawl over boxes to get to your 8000 shelf. Then the next stop will be in 4000, then the next in 1000.... So you are constantly looking for stuff in the morning and cant get into a good rhythm. If they can somehow fix the loading method, it would be and alright system. Better than EDD anyday!