Government run "anything"......

rickyb

from the report "no vacation nation":

"In the absence of a legal requirement for paid vacation and paid holidays, about one fourth of the U.S. workforce has no paid vacation or paid holidays in the course of their work year. The sum of the average paid vacation and paid holidays ― 16 in total ― offered in the private sector in the United States would not meet even the minimum required by law in 19 other rich countries analyzed here. (The average in the United States only exceeds the legal minimum of ten days in Japan.)"

So there is no law in america guaranteeing vacation; it is not planned by the government. It is left to the market. and the result is you take half as much vacation as roughly 90% of all developed countries do.

teamer

from the report "no vacation nation":

"In the absence of a legal requirement for paid vacation and paid holidays, about one fourth of the U.S. workforce has no paid vacation or paid holidays in the course of their work year. The sum of the average paid vacation and paid holidays ― 16 in total ― offered in the private sector in the United States would not meet even the minimum required by law in 19 other rich countries analyzed here. (The average in the United States only exceeds the legal minimum of ten days in Japan.)"

So there is no law in america guaranteeing vacation; it is not planned by the government. It is left to the market. and the result is you take half as much vacation as roughly 90% of all developed countries do.

wow must be tough to live in Canada?

newfie

i worked for one of the biggest railways as a conductor, it was unionized and we only got 5 weeks vacation after 18 years seniority. meanwhile the ceo had one of the biggest ceo pays in the country.

He earned it. Start your own hot dog stand and work your way up to having your own weiner company.

rickyb

He earned it. Start your own hot dog stand and work your way up to having your own weiner company.
i kinda doubt CEOs produce more value than the 10s of millions of dollars they are paid for doing their job. i think ralph nader said something about ceos and boards of directors getting together to fix the rate at which their paid.

rickyb

4-7f9DOqleUwd3KeKxrAdmkseHdel-LYFtw_5URRl_M_FouZSL6zUUvYCPtAUB4x6s04TAtKceLm9jOhsUSGsfe4BsBNY42w5-G-gMNnNLOv_TomnTx9LYLhOOyDYQjI8w

from the report "no vacation nation"

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
i worked for one of the biggest railways as a conductor, it was unionized and we only got 5 weeks vacation after 18 years seniority. meanwhile the ceo had one of the biggest ceo pays in the country.
Am I really reading this correctly??? I would've killed for a shot at being a conductor. Yet somehow you manage to secure a job like that, and leave it so you can do... whatever this is you're doing now?

rickyb

I didn't factor in other paid time off. The contract has changed since I started. After one year we got one weeks vacation, five sick days and five personal days.
that chart i showed is just what is guaranteed by law, not the other things. and those are work days typically excluding weekends.