Government run "anything"......

newfie

i kinda doubt CEOs produce more value than the 10s of millions of dollars they are paid for doing their job. i think ralph nader said something about ceos and boards of directors getting together to fix the rate at which their paid.

nadar is an idiot. The guy that started facebook started it from nothing . He took the risks he gets the rewards. if that's what you want start your own hot dog stand , make the best hot dog out there , start a chain and someday you can be the CEO with the perks.

rickyb

Am I really reading this correctly??? I would've killed for a shot at being a conductor. Yet somehow you manage to secure a job like that, and leave it so you can do... whatever this is you're doing now?
well what happened with me was i worked at 1 really good railway, but i have nerve damage in my hands which is worsened by considerable on the job vibration so i left although i could still go back and take meds. with this one sometimes i wonder if i made the right decision to give up my seniority to leave, but theres a good chance i wouldnt have figured out what i wanted to do had i not left, and im guessing my hands would have been in some pain by now.

i got fired from one of the big railways cuz i had a bad additude because i didnt like the road trips; you just sit down on call in the middle of hte night and call out signals. like if we were working half the month and get to book the other half off id do it no doubt, but i didnt see the point in working all the time basically just to pay down the mortgage on an over inflated housing market.

i did another railway in alberta, it wasnt unionized though so i made $5 less per hour than i made everywhere else and it was a yard so it was hard work, i lost 20 pounds in 6 months and im already skinny. i can still go back to that one if i wanted, but it didnt make economic sense to live on my own there and save the same i would if i moved back home and figured out what i really wanted to do.

and finally i did a railway in the middle of nowhere which was camp, but the company moved me 5x before i quit, not to mention they didnt book accomodation at 1 place. and it was all road trips in the middle of the night and i couldnt stay awake.

nadar is an idiot. The guy that started facebook started it from nothing . He took the risks he gets the rewards. if that's what you want start your own hot dog stand , make the best hot dog out there , start a chain and someday you can be the CEO with the perks.
Microsoft, Apple and YouTube to name a few.

rickyb

Become a drifter like me. You'll find plenty of time off.
im gonna drive fuel trucks at camp, or some kind of driver at a camp. my bud just got a job in forestry, so i may do equipment operator there. something where i can sit down and listen to radio and thats camp.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Employer's are only going to pay out so much. Why hire extra people to pay out all of those benefits?
Just make the rest of the workforce do more.
That's one way to look at it I'm not sure it's that simple though.
UK offers 28 days off but has comparable unemployment as the US.
There's a lot of factors. I'm not necessarily supporting government mandated vacation, but I don't think it would raise unemployment. Someone would have to do the work when the people are on vacation.

That's one way to look at it I'm not sure it's that simple though.
UK offers 28 days off but has comparable unemployment as the US.
There's a lot of factors. I'm not necessarily supporting government mandated vacation, but I don't think it would raise unemployment. Someone would have to do the work when the people are on vacation.
What does Brown do? Not hire more people, just load the rest of us up.

rickyb

How many people would you hire,if you had to give them all of that time off?
guaranteed vacation is a good thing it creates demand for workers.

america could have also solved its unemployment problem since 2008 by cutting the work week to 35 hours. the decent thing would be to make sure low wage workers who do 35 hours a week have a decent standard of living in which both the government and the private sector pick up the tab.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Spain's unemployment rate was over 40% last I heard.

It's so low because they have no incentive to work.
It's around 20%, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the reasons.
Either way it's not related at all to what we were talking about which was government mandated vacation days, in which the US trails pretty much every other major industrialized nation in the world.