handshake agreement with 705

BigBrownSanta

I think you might want to define padding miles first.

Is delivering an off area misload padding miles?

Is backtracking to deliver a "not found" package padding miles?

Is taking a longer, faster return to building route padding miles vs. a shorter, but more time consuming route back to the building?

Is driving around the block to make a passenger side exit padding miles?

Is delivering exactly by EDD padding miles?

Or is running 20 miles off area and turning around padding miles?

I can't believe that someone would pad miles just to file a 9.5 grievance. That is too easy to check with the GPS we have now.

Bloodybrown

I think you might want to define padding miles first.

Is delivering an off area misload padding miles?
No
Is backtracking to deliver a "not found" package padding miles?
No
Is taking a longer, faster return to building route padding miles vs. a shorter, but more time consuming route back to the building?
No
Is driving around the block to make a passenger side exit padding miles?
No
Is delivering exactly by EDD padding miles?
No
Or is running 20 miles off area and turning around padding miles?
Yes
I can't believe that someone would pad miles just to file a 9.5 grievance. That is too easy to check with the GPS we have now.
Not to file the grievence ,to drive up his planned day get less stops and say we are abusing him. It sounds unrealistic but it happens. Every year this situation comes up with a few drivers in my operation. Yes GPS helps me identify if the person is doing it, than I go look for myself. It seems that some people think its ok to drive 5 or 10 miles home. take lunch and break and then drive back to there delivery area. If anyone out there does that, STOP NOW, you will eventually get caught.

Bloodybrown

Your definition of right is not the same as mine according to the contract.
It was grieved the company won. I do it everyday as do many Districts!!

Your definition is slanted by the brainwashing you get from your leadership!............You see things differently, not like a business man or woman does, or anyone with common sense. You have a communist mentality. You also did not answer any of my other questions.....Why????

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not to file the grievence ,to drive up his planned day get less stops and say we are abusing him. It sounds unrealistic but it happens. Every year this situation comes up with a few drivers in my operation. Yes GPS helps me identify if the person is doing it, than I go look for myself. It seems that some people think its ok to drive 5 or 10 miles home. take lunch and break and then drive back to there delivery area. If anyone out there does that, STOP NOW, you will eventually get caught.

I'm curious what you think about this. I have a rural route that covers about 200 miles per day, and I generally take my lunch in a quiet spot by the side of the road. However, on extremely hot days (like we've been having lately) I'll often drive about a mile and a half off area to the little town on the next route over so I can take my lunch in the AC at one of the establishments they have there. I have to be honest and say it probably bumps up my plan by 10-20 clicks, but I'm not a bonus driver and it doesn't change my actual paid day as I return to the building the same time I would anyway. Would you consider that padding miles?

Bloodybrown

I'm curious what you think about this. I have a rural route that covers about 200 miles per day, and I generally take my lunch in a quiet spot by the side of the road. However, on extremely hot days (like we've been having lately) I'll often drive about a mile and a half off area to the little town on the next route over so I can take my lunch in the AC at one of the establishments they have there. I have to be honest and say it probably bumps up my plan by 10-20 clicks, but I'm not a bonus driver and it doesn't change my actual paid day as I return to the building the same time I would anyway. Would you consider that padding miles?

This would be an exception. If I were you ,ask your supervisor if its ok, explain why. I would let you do it with this extreme heat or even when its very cold, but your break or lunch should start as you leave your area, not when you get there. I would ask permission to play it safe.

BigBrownSanta

This would be an exception. If I were you ,ask your supervisor if its ok, explain why. I would let you do it with this extreme heat or even when its very cold, but your break or lunch should start as you leave your area, not when you get there. I would ask permission to play it safe.

I think you just diluted the definition of padding miles with this exception. Where does the mileage limit end? 1.5 miles? 3 miles? 5 miles?

If the driver in your example clocks out then runs home to avoid the heat, takes a break, returns to his area, then clocks back in, is he still padding miles? Or is he doing what others are being allowed to do by exception?

Bloodybrown

I think you just diluted the definition of padding miles with this exception. Where does the mileage limit end? 1.5 miles? 3 miles? 5 miles?

If the driver in your example clocks out then runs home to avoid the heat, takes a break, returns to his area, then clocks back in, is he still padding miles? Or is he doing what others are being allowed to do by exception?
Look, I think we are all human and if there is 95 degree heat and no where on his route to take lunch or break like he stated, I think its ok to ask permission. If his management team says its ok, I see no problem. This is extremely rare!, most drivers have a place on thier route to take lunch and break. You don't make a decision to leave your area on your own. You are than asking for trouble. Don't try to trap me!!....I am just talking about this exception in this particular case. If his manager says no than he is SOL.

tourists24

you know drivers meeting together for lunch is not padding miles. And some drivers bid certain routes because their home is near their route. Just because its a couple of miles off area to take lunch doesnt make it padding miles. Some of you are trying to scare the younger drivers to stop right where they are at lunch time, take it, then start the route again. You have a right to drive to your lunch spot; even if that means going a couple of miles down the road (no not 10 miles away). Padding miles is simply running extra miles for the one purpose of deceiving your planned day.

I remember the day in which if you had a misload from any of the directly surrounding routes you just jumped over and delivered it,no questions asked. Management might notice some extra miles but when they saw a delivery in another area number it was never even mentioned to the driver other than saying good job on making service.

Bloodybrown

you know drivers meeting together for lunch is not padding miles. And some drivers bid certain routes because their home is near their route. Just because its a couple of miles off area to take lunch doesnt make it padding miles. Some of you are trying to scare the younger drivers to stop right where they are at lunch time, take it, then start the route again. You have a right to drive to your lunch spot; even if that means going a couple of miles down the road (no not 10 miles away). Padding miles is simply running extra miles for the one purpose of deceiving your planned day.

You are playing with fire!!.....Are you in management??....do you have the authority to tell tell people on this forum its ok to drive off area???....don't give people bad advice if you don't know what your talking about. Drivers do not drive off your area without permission!!!...not even one mile!!...going home for lunch is ok if its on your route, not a few miles away! I am giving you and others sound advice, you on the other hand are not. I can see some one at a panel hearing trying to justify thier case because tourist24 said it was ok on the bc. It won't work!!!.....please be careful on what advice you give, someone could lose their job.

Bloodybrown

I remember the day in which if you had a misload from any of the directly surrounding routes you just jumped over and delivered it,no questions asked. Management might notice some extra miles but when they saw a delivery in another area number it was never even mentioned to the driver other than saying good job on making service.

I think you are in feeders now correct??...If a driver has a missoad on the car they should call the center or text them and let the management team tell him to deliver the package that's off his area or do a meet with another driver or sheet it as missed. The driver should not drive several miles off area without the management team's permission.

tourists24

You are playing with fire!!.....Are you in management??....do you have the authority to tell tell people on this forum its ok to drive off area???....don't give people bad advice if you don't know what your talking about. Drivers do not drive off your area without permission!!!...not even one mile!!...going home for lunch is ok if its on your route, not a few miles away! I am giving you and others sound advice, you on the other hand are not. I can see some one at a panel hearing trying to justify thier case because tourist24 said it was ok on the bc. It won't work!!!.....please be careful on what advice you give, someone could lose their job.
go ahead and fire someone for going down the road a couple of miles to sit down out of the weather for a hot lunch. You will not win this case (at panels) unless you can prove the driver is purposely running his miles up to affect his planned day. You do not have the right to tell a driver where he is going to eat lunch. Even if a driver doesnt leave his area he may have to drive a few miles down the road if he wants to find a restaurant(esp if he is on a country route and passes the same areas at the same time everyday). There is no difference in driving 3 miles on route or bouncing 2 miles off area if you want a different restaurant. You do not have to pack a lunch nor do you have eat at the same place everyday. Getting a hot lunch inside is not playing with fire. Just like everything else, use sensible judgement on where you go

BigBrownSanta

Look, I think we are all human and if there is 95 degree heat and no where on his route to take lunch or break like he stated, I think its ok to ask permission. If his management team says its ok, I see no problem. This is extremely rare!, most drivers have a place on thier route to take lunch and break. You don't make a decision to leave your area on your own. You are than asking for trouble. Don't try to trap me!!....I am just talking about this exception in this particular case. If his manager says no than he is SOL.

Sorry, I'm not trying to trap you. LOL.

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. Every example I gave you earlier can be used to pad miles, but you've already said they aren't padding miles.

If I run air only by EDD, my miles will be higher. Why? Because the system is set up to run air all the way to the far end of my route, then I have to return to the other side of the route to start the ground deliveries.

If I have businesses that are PAL'd for PM delivery, then I will have to break trace to avoid missed pieces which also runs up the miles.

The same is true of ODS/OCA that have an early commit time, but I'm on the far end of my route when I get the message. I now have to increase miles to make the commit time.

I could go on and on. NDA savers to businesses by 3 PM. Delivering by EDD. I won't even go into that.

It's OK to pad miles if it is operationally justified, but if someone wants to take lunch at home...

I think trying to nail someone for going home at lunch time is somewhat (I hope you don't get offended) weak.

Bloodybrown

go ahead and fire someone for going down the road a couple of miles to sit down out of the weather for a hot lunch. You will not win this case (at panels) unless you can prove the driver is purposely running his miles up to affect his planned day.
you are so wrong. In this case one warning with the union rep, 2nd time he's gone. I have won these cases. You are ignorant on how it works, don't give bad advice, go ask your labor manager.
You do not have the right to tell a driver where he is going to eat lunch.
Not the exact restaurant, but he can't drive to the other side of his route because he like a certain restaurant. I've won that one also after one warning!
Even if a driver doesnt leave his area he may have to drive a few miles down the road if he wants to find a restaurant(esp if he is on a country route and passes the same areas at the same time everyday). There is no difference in driving 3 miles on route or bouncing 2 miles off area if you want a different restaurant.
Don't do it ! !
You do not have to pack a lunch nor do you have eat at the same place everyday. Getting a hot lunch inside is not playing with fire. Just like everything else, use sensible judgement on where you go
Don't need to pack a lunch if you don't want to, but take your lunch at restaurant on your route while in the area, if your not sure ask!!...that's common sense!! I asked you before are you in management???...I don't think so!....don't give bad advice!!

tourists24

It's OK to pad miles if it is operationally justified, but if someone wants to take lunch at home...

I think trying to nail someone for going home at lunch time is somewhat (I hope you don't get offended) weak.
This was exactly my point BBSanta. You've nailed other good examples too.... I dont know if Bloody is a new oncar or just an old timer with attitude, but lately the lunch thing has been getting ridiculous. It doesnt have to be extreme weather to want to find a place to sit down to a hot meal. Dont cheat the company, but dont feel like you have to pack a lunch either.

tourists24

Don't need to pack a lunch if you don't want to, but take your lunch at restaurant on your route while in the area, if your not sure ask!!...that's common sense!! I asked you before are you in management???...I don't think so!....don't give bad advice!!
you dont have to be in mgt to give good advice. What I am is someone who DOES know how the system works and have been around almost 20 years. No, Im not management and dont need permission to find an eating establishment that is nearby. Id be interested to hear which cases you are talking about in which drivers were fired for simply driving a couple of miles down the road to take lunch. Which panel cases were these? Please enlighten us

BigBrownSanta

This was exactly my point BBSanta. You've nailed other good examples too.... I dont know if Bloody is a new oncar or just an old timer with attitude, but lately the lunch thing has been getting ridiculous. It doesnt have to be extreme weather to want to find a place to sit down to a hot meal. Dont cheat the company, but dont feel like you have to pack a lunch either.

There's an easy way to resolve the lunch hour problems, and that is to have every driver return to the building prior to 12 noon, take roll to ensure all drivers are accounted for, allow every driver to take their personal vehicle to do as they see fit for lunch provided they return and are ready to start back at 1 PM. Anyone who chooses to work through the lunch hour will be paid triple time.

Problem solved. Drivers get to take care of their personal business during daylight hours, no more off area vagueness, no more deliveries to closed businesses between 12 and 1, no more annoying messages during lunch...

LOL. I am just trying to be funny here, but I am also going to propose this for the 2013 contract.

tourists24

I asked you before are you in management???...I don't think so!....don't give bad advice!!
the other posts previous has been my opinion, not so much advice; but I DO have advice for people working for individuals like Bloody. If you have a concern with being told how far is too far, please take it over Bloody's head. Bring it up with his boss as well as your Business Agent. Im sure if you do this and explain your scenario, reasonable heads will prevail

Bloodybrown

Sorry, I'm not trying to trap you. LOL.

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. Every example I gave you earlier can be used to pad miles, but you've already said they aren't padding miles.

If I run air only by EDD, my miles will be higher. Why? Because the system is set up to run air all the way to the far end of my route, then I have to return to the other side of the route to start the ground deliveries.

If I have businesses that are PAL'd for PM delivery, then I will have to break trace to avoid missed pieces which also runs up the miles.

The same is true of ODS/OCA that have an early commit time, but I'm on the far end of my route when I get the message. I now have to increase miles to make the commit time.

I could go on and on. NDA savers to businesses by 3 PM. Delivering by EDD. I won't even go into that.

You might think its weak but I could tell there are drivers in my district that sat off work for weeks and month's some got their job back with NO backpay and a final warning, others are gone because they did it more than once and did not heed the warning.

As far as how you deliver the route to make service, if you are doing the right thing , no worries but I have had drivers save 3 stops of residential, break off, drive to the other side of the route make the pick ups, with plenty of time to spare, then go back to the other side of the route and make the last 3 del stops. They get one warning from me with the union
rep. You know when someone is try to take advantage of you or UPS, honest people don't need to worry. If people don't realize what there doing is wrong a warning is ok as long as they don't keep doing it, but people that purposely pad excessive miles, I have no pity for.

You see driving say 3 miles off area to go home for lunch and break adds up 6 miles a day x 5 days 30 miles a week x 52 weeks, and gas at over 4 bucks a gallon!!...don't you see my point?