handshake agreement with 705

I remember the day in which if you had a misload from any of the directly surrounding routes you just jumped over and delivered it,no questions asked. Management might notice some extra miles but when they saw a delivery in another area number it was never even mentioned to the driver other than saying good job on making service.

I remember that day too...Yesterday

Bloodybrown

the other posts previous has been my opinion, not so much advice; but I DO have advice for people working for individuals like Bloody. If you have a concern with being told how far is too far, please take it over Bloody's head. Bring it up with his boss as well as your Business Agent. Im sure if you do this and explain your scenario, reasonable heads will prevail

Why don't you go to your business agent and ask him if its ok to drive 5 miles from where your at to go eat lunch at a particular restaurant. than go ask your business manager, than ask your labor manager!!! i know they will all say NO !

Bloodybrown

There's an easy way to resolve the lunch hour problems, and that is to have every driver return to the building prior to 12 noon
Now that could be considered padding miles for some drivers:happy-very:
, take roll to ensure all drivers are accounted for, allow every driver to take their personal vehicle to do as they see fit for lunch provided they return and are ready to start back at 1 PM. Anyone who chooses to work through the lunch hour will be paid triple time.

Problem solved. Drivers get to take care of their personal business during daylight hours, no more off area vagueness, no more deliveries to closed businesses between 12 and 1, no more annoying messages during lunch...

LOL. I am just trying to be funny here, but I am also going to propose this for the 2013 contract.

go ahead and fire someone for going down the road a couple of miles to sit down out of the weather for a hot lunch. You will not win this case (at panels) unless you can prove the driver is purposely running his miles up to affect his planned day. You do not have the right to tell a driver where he is going to eat lunch. Even if a driver doesnt leave his area he may have to drive a few miles down the road if he wants to find a restaurant(esp if he is on a country route and passes the same areas at the same time everyday). There is no difference in driving 3 miles on route or bouncing 2 miles off area if you want a different restaurant. You do not have to pack a lunch nor do you have eat at the same place everyday. Getting a hot lunch inside is not playing with fire. Just like everything else, use sensible judgement on where you go

I was told or asked not to go 1 mile off a route to go home for lunch. So I don't. I live a block from my center manager and across from another supervisor. I don't need to push the envelope for something so silly. My wife can pick me up down the road if I need to go home so bad.

tourists24

Why don't you go to your business agent and ask him if its ok to drive 5 miles from where your at to go eat lunch at a particular restaurant. than go ask your business manager, than ask your labor manager!!! i know they will all say NO !
Maybe not a particular restaurant if they are more alternatives in the area, but 2 or 3 miles for sure... Im just curious, what do you tell your rural drivers that HAVE to go at least 5 miles to find ANY restaurant? oh, and Im still waiting on those panel cases

Bloodybrown

the other posts previous has been my opinion, not so much advice; but I DO have advice for people working for individuals like Bloody. If you have a concern with being told how far is too far, please take it over Bloody's head. Bring it up with his boss as well as your Business Agent. Im sure if you do this and explain your scenario, reasonable heads will prevail

Hey tourist you do whatever you want, you don't work for me, but do the right thing! There are privacy issues, I will not reveal names, I have many more years than you. I am very versed and experienced with labor issues. in multiple districts. My business agent and labor manager have a clear understanding of what is and is not allowed!! Panel decisions are used to interpet how things are done , not opinions!!!! My boss and I are on the same page!!

tourists24

I was told or asked not to go 1 mile off a route to go home for lunch. So I don't. I live a block from my center manager and across from another supervisor. I don't need to push the envelope for something so silly. My wife can pick me up down the road if I need to go home so bad.
boy what a spot you live in...lol.... so they dont have a problem with you going a couple of miles to a restaurant but DO have a problem with 1 mile to your home?

Bloodybrown

You are doing the right thing.

tourists24

Hey tourist you do whatever you want, you don't work for me, but do the right thing! There are privacy issues, I will not reveal names, I have many more years than you. I am very versed and experienced with labor issues. in multiple districts. My business agent and labor manager have a clear understanding of what is and is not allowed!! Panel decisions are used to interpet how things are done , not opinions!!!! My boss and I are on the same page!!
We are all wanting to do the right thing. I just dont like the fact that you are trying to make a driver who simply wants to drive to lunch a thief. There is a big difference in driving 3 miles to find a lunch spot and driving 3 miles just so you get less work.

tourists24

When did he say anything about driving a few miles to a restaurant??
well unless he just happens to pass a place to eat right at lunch time, then he may have to go a few miles out of the way. What if you are on a rural route that it may take 4 or 5 miles to get to ANY restaurant?

Bloodybrown

We are all wanting to do the right thing. I just dont like the fact that you are trying to make a driver who simply wants to drive to lunch a thief. There is a big difference in driving 3 miles to find a lunch spot and driving 3 miles just so you get less work.

Look your not allowed to do it either way. If you have permision from your center manager than do it. I know that he should not be allowing you to. There is a difference and that why I would and do give a warning with a union rep first. If padding miles on purpose, no warning!

tourists24

Look your not allowed to do it either way. If you have permision from your center manager than do it. I know that he should not be allowing you to. There is a difference and that why I would and do give a warning with a union rep first. If padding miles on purpose, no warning!
well that may be the way it works where you are from, but not around here. Padding is padding but simply going to lunch is simply that (if done honestly). I guess you tell those rural guys to pack a bag then.

Bloodybrown

well that may be the way it works where you are from, but not around here. Padding is padding but simply going to lunch is simply that (if done honestly). I guess you tell those rural guys to pack a bag then.

I don't know where your from but I can't honestly believe your district allows it. You manager either does not know or he doesn't care. Many of our rural drivers do pack a lunch or eat in one of the small towns they deliver in. I have had rural drivers discuss with me this very issue, we have always come to a resolution.:happy2:

I bring a lunch every day because I never know where I'll be. After 13 years and 120 routes I have never had a problem with where I go for lunch until this year.

tourists24

I don't know where your from but I can't honestly believe your district allows it. You manager either does not know or he doesn't care. Many of our rural drivers do pack a lunch or eat in one of the small towns they deliver in. I have had rural drivers discuss with me this very issue, we have always come to a resolution.:happy2:
because around here going down the road just to find a place to eat is NOT dishonesty. Some drivers have many choices,,, not a problem. Others make it a little tougher... How do you come to a resolution with a rural driver who wants a sit down lunch if they have to go more than zero miles to get there? Around here you have to actually be dishonest to be fired for dishonesty

Bloodybrown

I bring a lunch every day because I never know where I'll be. After 13 years and 120 routes I have never had a problem with where I go for lunch until this year.

You know some of it has to do with the price of gas. The technology used now makes it easy to see what drivers are doing. Mileage reduction is a very high priorty with UPS right now.

I think you are in feeders now correct??...If a driver has a missoad on the car they should call the center or text them and let the management team tell him to deliver the package that's off his area or do a meet with another driver or sheet it as missed. The driver should not drive several miles off area without the management team's permission.
I`m not trying to argue with you,that`s why I said back in the day. When I was in pkg there was no such thing as testing,etc. We did it because our mgmt team expected it of us. Thats also why I said "directly surrounding". Technically it`s off area but if it`s a mile down the same street I`m on,they wanted service made. Obviously I didn`t go to the next town unless it was an air package,those were no questions asked-go deliver. Package has changed so much since I left I`m surprised the trucks are even the same color.

Bloodybrown

because around here going down the road just to find a place to eat is NOT dishonesty. Some drivers have many choices,,, not a problem. Others make it a little tougher... How do you come to a resolution with a rural driver who wants a sit down lunch if they have to go more than zero miles to get there? Around here you have to actually be dishonest to be fired for dishonesty

I have never had a problem finding a resolution with a rural driver, common sense and an understanding with your manager is needed. You may not view it as dishonesty, but if you are told to not do something like drive a few miles off area and you continue to do it. You not working as directed, insubordination, are grounds for termination or some time off without pay.
All I'm telling you is don't take a chance talk to your manager. Maybe your manager does not care, but as said i doubt it.

browndevil

I'm curious what you think about this. I have a rural route that covers about 200 miles per day, and I generally take my lunch in a quiet spot by the side of the road. However, on extremely hot days (like we've been having lately) I'll often drive about a mile and a half off area to the little town on the next route over so I can take my lunch in the AC at one of the establishments they have there. I have to be honest and say it probably bumps up my plan by 10-20 clicks, but I'm not a bonus driver and it doesn't change my actual paid day as I return to the building the same time I would anyway. Would you consider that padding miles?
Jones I consider you driving to lunch to be in A/C as a safety issue. UPS can preach all they want about lifting and lowering correctly(which the demo consists of a 1lb package in an A/C office) three points of contact etc. But what about keeping yourself healthy and cool. I agree with you and have done the same thing. I can't imagine sitting in a hot pkg car eating you lunch for an hour:happy2: