Handshake Agreement

Griff

someone I know in the union just told me progression is changing to 36 months for full time driving.

I hope that isn't accurate. The teamsters seem to be losing an awful lot of ground in certain areas with every contract that passes. The current progression is too long as it is for FT package car drivers. Next they'll take away the benefits from the PT'ers and make them wait 1-2 years.

over9five

Staff member
"Personally, I think ALL drivers should start out in the hub..."

A lot of us don't live in Moms cellar, and couldn't afford to feed our families on part time wages...

1BrownClown

Doing my Time!
Griff
I know you probably will not want to hear this, but from my Union BA I have heard that in the new contract,
1-New Pt workers (new after 8/1/08) will have to wait 1 year for benefits, 18 months if they want to cover their family as well
2-New driver progression will now be thirty six months vs. the current thirty
3-New drivers will now have (after 8/1/08) a 60 day probationary period vs the current 30 days
4-No new significant raise to the current $8.50 starting rate for part timers

In my honest opinion it is time to get out the K Y gel for the part timers once again, they will be taking it hard in '08!

bamaboy

Just Killin Time
Everyone in Central States needs to thank the APWA. If not for them, then we would probably not have any retirement left. Forget about the $$ per hour, the saving of the pension is worth more $$ than any of us can imagine. We in Central States asked for UPS help with the pension and they gave us the help in $6.1 billion. Too bad this money (6.1) will go mostly to people who have never worked at UPS, but at least UPS is trying to do something to save our pension. It is time for the Central States folks to say thanks to a lot of people.

Gman24

Everyone in Central States needs to thank the APWA. If not for them, then we would probably not have any retirement left. Forget about the $$ per hour, the saving of the pension is worth more $$ than any of us can imagine. We in Central States asked for UPS help with the pension and they gave us the help in $6.1 billion. Too bad this money (6.1) will go mostly to people who have never worked at UPS, but at least UPS is trying to do something to save our pension. It is time for the Central States folks to say thanks to a lot of people.

You are 100% correct. I HOPE that the TEAMSTERS haven't sold us out AGAIN by trying to PUSH a quick contract settlement just to try and stop the progression of the APWA. I will hold judgement untill I read what the proposed contract entails. I am 100% for a UPS funded single employer pension (of which was one of the main goals of the APWA). I'm afraid there probably was more give this time than take as far as the employees go. I hope that the part timers have not been stepped on AGAIN by the "high and mighty REAMSTERS".

By the way the APWA is not completely swept under the rug yet.

pkg-king

Griff
I know you probably will not want to hear this, but from my Union BA I have heard that in the new contract,
1-New Pt workers (new after 8/1/08) will have to wait 1 year for benefits, 18 months if they want to cover their family as well
2-New driver progression will now be thirty six months vs. the current thirty
3-New drivers will now have (after 8/1/08) a 60 day probationary period vs the current 30 days
4-No new significant raise to the current $8.50 starting rate for part timers

In my honest opinion it is time to get out the K Y gel for the part timers once again, they will be taking it hard in '08!

All above mentioned changes affect NEW hire/drivers. Look at the new GM contract, the new hires are also getting screwed there as well. Any new hire there is starting at a lower rate and will never see the $30-$40 per hour a present employee at GM sees, GM new hires also fall under a different health/pension plan than the current employees. Companies need these types of changes to stay competative in the future. The labor landscape is changing, I'm just VERY greatfull these changes are affecting people who aren't even employed at UPS yet. As a 20 year employee (pkg driver) I couldn't be happier.

govols019

You smell that?
I HOPE that the TEAMSTERS haven't sold us out AGAIN by trying to PUSH a quick contract settlement just to try and stop the progression of the APWA.

You seriously believe that the Teamsters were THAT worried about the APWA? That's great. The APWA is and always was a pipe dream.

Will you get your membership fee back?:lol:

P

Part-timmer

Anyone heard about the 22.3 combo jobs? just woundering. i love the bennies', but screw those right hand turns all day long.

JustAnotherBody

it's probally a little early to ask this... I'm hoping actually the information that concerns me is false.... but what would happen to a new driver senority but who wont hit top rate before the contract expires... will we be waiting another 6 months to get top rate or will it remain 30 for people already in progression?

i hope the later or actually hope the length of progression doesn't change at all... same as people said about the insurance wait for part timers will hurt turnover i dont see how a 36 month progression is good for drivers... we don't have enough qualified people around here who want to drive... don't see how 6 months added to the progression would encourage anyoneto stick around.

blue efficacy

Wow.... just... wow. Bennies are the main reason anybody would suck it up for 8.50 an hour. And now, 12-18 month wait for those? And no increase in starting pay?

UPS is just asking for its workforce to implode. Unless they plan on replacing a lot of PT positions with new 22.3 jobs (ha!), staffing will be a nightmare for any Hub/preload.

Fredless

APWA Hater
By the way the APWA is not completely swept under the rug yet.

Oh noes! Well you guys do a fine job of making fools of yourselves by showing your intelligence on a lot of issues and blowing hot air, and I think that's recognizeable by most people.

I've been waiting for the onslaught at my hub, still haven't seen it. In fact I've only heard one whisper of the APWA to me at my building and the person was just telling me what a joke he thinks the APWA is.

Go ahead, try and get some people like AMFA did with the airlines...and see what happens to you all.

bear123

I hope that isn't accurate. The teamsters seem to be losing an awful lot of ground in certain areas with every contract that passes. The current progression is too long as it is for FT package car drivers. Next they'll take away the benefits from the PT'ers and make them wait 1-2 years.

As matter of fact it is true, Griff. It is going to take 3 years for drivers to make progression. Go to makeupsdeliver.com for details.

UPS increases this every year. Last contract I believe it was 2-2 1/2 years before that contract it was one year.

As far as Pt'rs, any one hired after the contract is ratified and takes affect on 8/01/08 will have to wait a year to get their benefits. The company is assuming that most new-hires are young kids and they are still uner their parent's coverage.
I believe this is going to blow up in UPS's face big-time. They are already hurting for people to come to work, and this is with benefits and bribing them with earn and learn. Believe it or not, there are older people who come to UPS simply for the benefits. Many of them have other jobs or own their own business on the side. I gurantee you they will not come to UPS and wait a year to get benefits. They want the benefits NOW.

bear123

actually that is makeupsdeliver.org I encourage everyone to add this web site to your favorites. They are pretty good on keeping everyone up to date on what is going on contract wise.

hugh688

preloader
actually that is makeupsdeliver.org I encourage everyone to add this web site to your favorites. They are pretty good on keeping everyone up to date on what is going on contract wise.

is it just tdu hack attacks? i get enough of that in their newsletter.
ps. don't shop at walmart.

Griff

it's probally a little early to ask this... I'm hoping actually the information that concerns me is false.... but what would happen to a new driver senority but who wont hit top rate before the contract expires... will we be waiting another 6 months to get top rate or will it remain 30 for people already in progression?

i hope the later or actually hope the length of progression doesn't change at all... same as people said about the insurance wait for part timers will hurt turnover i dont see how a 36 month progression is good for drivers... we don't have enough qualified people around here who want to drive... don't see how 6 months added to the progression would encourage anyoneto stick around.

You won't have to wait until 36, you'll still be at 30. Anyone who gets hired in under this upcoming contract ('08) will have to wait 36, if it passes and this stuff is actually true.

Gman24

You seriously believe that the Teamsters were THAT worried about the APWA? That's great. The APWA is and always was a pipe dream.

Will you get your membership fee back?:lol:

As usual you guys are so dead set on PUTTING SOMEONE DOWN that you have totally missed my point.

I won't take the time to explain my point again, only intelligent people would get it.

maroon!!!!!!

For those of you who are intelligent, you had better OPEN your eyes and really look into this contract. The ONLY good thing about it is the CS pension fund takeover by UPS. They (UPS and the TEAMSTERS) are using this to sell this contract.
There is way more GIVE in this contract than there has EVER been in my almost 18 years with the company. The part timers are REALLY getting the shaft again.