Has anyone left UPS and then came back?

working up a sweat

I worked PT night sort from 1997 to 2001. I had to leave because I lost my FT day job in 2001. New FT job was 4 nights a week 7 PM to 7 AM.

All 3 sorts were in that time block and could not stay at UPS. I gave my 2 week notice and told management that I wanted to come back in the future. I had a good reputation because I showed up on time every night with a positive attitude.

8 years later I got laid off at the FT night job and was re-hired at UPS PT night sort in 2009.

I lost my seniority but retained my 4 years Teamster service time. Now I have over 9 years vested in the pension plan.

I am 57 years old and still in good physical shape because I load feeders and air containers.

My present day job is IT, running a main frame computer, converting information and updating data bases onto servers and a web site for a small research and information company.

I like working for UPS. I get along with my coworkers and treated well because I can keep up with the challenge of the physical labor and fast pace. The exercise helps to maintain a positive and healthy body and mind. I work inside a hub so there is a lot of interaction and teamwork involved in the job. I have no desire to be a PC driver. Where else can I get the benefits and pension for a PT job? No where that I know of.

Last edited:

door10

It's not possible to love preload if it's truly bad at your center. If you're not getting pounded across 3-5 routes with 70+ the whole time and hurting because of it, it's not bad.

Yeah it hurts but it's the job. It's not hat bad when you think of what some other people have to do as jobs. Come in, load trucks, leave. Not super difficult. I can't wait to get back for Christmas and start loading again.

Notcool

You got back pay with penalties? A resignation from the person that fired you, and the real reason why? Also additional monies for emotion stress?
Yeah I got back my pay and seniority back. Alot of sups wanted me back because I was the hardest worker in the hub. Highest pph every night by a big margin for 7 years so they battled to get me back. I got fired for s social media post.

watdaflock?

Also, if you ever had worked a desk job, how did you feel about it vs. working at UPS?
Quite a few years working in business financial services and also for a large insurance company. I'd much rather deal with card board boxes than merchants or home owners with their claims.
The stress from a busy flow on the belt is nothing compared to say; dealing with some elderly widow who's now alone for the first time in 40+ years and accidentally forgot to pay her flood insurance. While dealing with the funeral and now being alone, she loses everything from a hurricane and their beach front home is gone.