Has the Teamsters sold you out?

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you can't buy groceries on 40k a year, then you are in serious need of financial guidance. If that is a pay cut or you're afraid of lifting heavy packages, this may not be the job for you.
Guy when i went driving i had a good full time job and combined with my ups part time earnings i made less my first year or so than if i would have kept working the 2 jobs. However i suffered because in the long term it was worth it, and then it was 2 years. Any decent family person will have a hard time supporting their family for 3 years to reach top rate. We need to focus on several issues here in the language not just progression. No new 22.3, the elimination of 22.3 jobs that are protected, Longer probationary period, weaker feeder sub contracting language, i does goes on. Guy when was the last time you say this many concessions in a contract?

Red, I'm not saying it's a great contract. I just think that complaining about only making $40k is a pretty weak argument.. especially when you know that within 36 months you'll be making close to double that. If people are going to complain about the starting wage of $8.50 for the part timers, the .10 they're asking 804 to give back or weak language in the contract, I can live with stuff like that. Complaining about a starting wage that "only" gets you $40k a year is ridiculous. Tell that new driver to complain to some of his neighbors. I bet he'd get very little sympathy.

Bill

Re: contract

Today at work i was told by my supervisor to send my ballot it with a yes. This threw up a red flag. First off i work at the most under represented center in the U.S. Most of our sheep at work will vote yes. I dont trust my managment team at all. Them telling me to vote yes scared the hell out of me. Is giving our pension to ups the answer. They constantly try to cheat me out of hours work, if they had my pension would they try to cheat me out of that too. Also does our union have any power without Central State. Sounds to good to be true.
UPS wants this contract to go through, as they will gain billions by not having to put as much into the pension plan. Nothing has changed for the employees in CS, because there is still no pension security. The Teamsters has sold us out once again. Read the wording in the contract proposals. We will receive two pension checks, one from UPS and another from Central States. Central States has bought more time with the $6 billion buyout from UPS, but they are still severely underfunded. Central States can still reduce your pension as permitted by law, but now UPS does not have to offset this reduction. Way to go TEAMSTERS!!!!!!! Another sellout job, and another best ever contract. Why do we keep allowing the Teamsters to negotiate our contracts, when they do not have our best interest in mind, but rather they, the Teamsters, want what is best for themselves. I say we need to vote out the Teamsters, and vote in a union that will negotiate a contract that has our best interests in mind. The APWA is our best option at this point.

J

JonFrum

At least your maiking more than a 22.3 with almost 10 years senority, I am a year one job, 8-01-1998 for full time I make $21.62 per hour while package, feeder, all other "ful time" make close to 30.00 hr. 22.3's get it coming and going, this new contract more going than anything!!! 10 more years for me max out my 401k Im ****ing gone.....too much stress
I need a xanex,lol:crying:

If your local follows the National Master, you make $22.62, not $21.62. (Unless they deduct a dollar penalty for each hour in which you use profanity.)

lonsmith

In the 80's a majority voted no, but it took a 2/3 no vote to vote a contract down. The company and the union new there wasn't any way that would happen. That is why part-time pay is so low. It wasn't until the 90's that we changed the Teamster constitution to majority rules.

runner1234

that's a good point. i've been driving 4 yrs. now, and a loader 4 and 1/2 yrs. have you seen the boxes we deliver .looks like someone runs over them with there trucks. so therefore if we want quality we need better part-timers. so give them something.

Liberty Bear

New but not Naive
"It is the Teamsters that sold the part timers out,"

It was the part-timers who cut their own throats by never going to union meetings. Their non-participation in their union led to them being forgotten.

By their pure numbers, part-timers could RUN this union if they weren't so apathetic.

That's bull*****. As a political activist and candidate for public office, I do wish people would be more politically active. However, as long as the Teamsters are sucking money out of my paycheck, I expect them to fight for me, whether I attend meetings or not.

I heard that same excuse when I was a teacher - "If you want to fix things, you need to attend union meetings!"

So I did - big time. I attended meetings regularly, took notes, did research in libraries and on the Internet, and I was shocked to discover just how corrupt our union was. I also spoke out at meetings, only to see the conversations I began nixed by manipulation of Roberts Rule of Order and various stunts.

I haven't been with UPS long enough to learn if the Teamsters play similar games, but the evidence I've seen so far suggests that I'm repeating history.

Liberty Bear

New but not Naive
I've only been working with UPS for a little over a year, so I'm still learning the political ropes, but here are my current complaints about the Teamsters:

1) Sucking money out of new hires' paychecks even during their initial three months employment, when they get nothing in return, is a sleazy scam. When I hired on, I was struggling to earn enough to pay the rent, and I can't tell you how much I resented that. I definitely came into the job with a chip on my shoulder.

2) I'd like to see the seniority system somehow modified so that people can advance by merit. In particular, I'm tired of getting walked on by co-workers who are lazy trouble makers, but who have just a little seniority over me - especially when their buddy buddy with the shop steward. I've worked with a couple individuals who drive the supervisors to tears and literally harass their co-workers. Those individuals should have been fired long ago. They're bad for the company, bad for the union and bad for their co-workers.

When I attended the Teamsters' initiates meeting, one speaker said, "You've probably heard stories that the union makes it impossible to fire bad employees. Well those stories aren't true!"

He was lying.

I worked at the post office for a year, without union protection, and I was able to advance by simply coming to work on time and working hard. It was a very good feeling. At UPS, I feel held back. No matter how hard you work, you're never rewarded.

3. The "Brother" Syndrome - Where do these people get off calling UPS employees "Brother" when they treat us like crap? Who would force their brother to work for $8.50 an hour, without medical benefits or sick leave, until the year 2013???

You Are Asserting That Jimmy Hoffa Is A Real Teamster.
1) He Is A Corporate Lawyer
2) His Budies In Senior's Local Gave Him A Teamsters Job, He Never Drove Or Did A Days Work As A Teamster

Ron Carey Was A Real Teamster,he Fought For Members, Just Look At The 1997 Gains

Not True At /1982 Starting Wages Were Cut To $8.00/hour.in 2007, Starting Wages Are $8.50/hour. That's 2 Cents An Hour For 25 Years. Ups Has To Compete With Starbucks , Costco And Mcdonalds Which All Pay Higher Wages. Think About What Your Boss , Ups Ceo Makes .this Is Short Of Tearful In Fact, Santa Fe,nm Has A Minimum Wage Of $9.50/hour.ups Needs To Join The Human Race

18wheelbrownie

You Are Asserting That Jimmy Hoffa Is A Real Teamster.
1) He Is A Corporate Lawyer
2) His Budies In Senior's Local Gave Him A Teamsters Job, He Never Drove Or Did A Days Work As A Teamster

Ron Carey Was A Real Teamster,he Fought For Members, Just Look At The 1997 Gains
carey make sure from start to finish that every aspect of the contract was deal with, these 2 contracts hoffa and hall did are the worst ever! i hope you people who voted for hoffa are happy now!
lets vote out these 2 numskulls and teamsters and vote in the apwa , so we can have our employee own union. www.parcelworkers.com

Bill

The Teamsters have been selling us out for years. Here are just a few examples.

1. Fact. In 1985, part time employees were earning $14-15 per hour. Twenty years later, 2007, part timers are now earning $8-9 per hour. Does this make any sense that 22 years later, the cost of living has gone way up, but the salaries have dropped. The Teamsters negotiated these concessions to UPS.
2. Fact. The Teamsters allowed UPS to make senior drivers wait up to 4 years to receive top pay. Over 25 years ago, it took just 6 months.
3. Fact. The Teamsters have cut our pension and medical benefits severely recently. Ups contributes over 1.3 billion dollars a year (pension money only), enough to fully fund both, but we receive only 40% of it. (This is for employees in Central States.)

Any body else have examples of how they were sold out by the Teamsters?
Now we have more sellouts by the Teamsters. Split raises each year that can be taken back by UPS to help fund our pension, so the reality is that we will only receive half of the proposed raise each year, that doesn't even cover the cost of inflation. No guarantee on the pension amount we receive after the age of 65. No cost of living increase for our pension, so that each year, our pension is worth less and less. The good news (for the Teamsters) is that the Teamsters will keep increasing the union dues everytime we receive a raise!!!!!!

tieguy

Banned
Now we have more sellouts by the Teamsters. Split raises each year that can be taken back by UPS to help fund our pension,

I'm confused. thought you folks asked your teamster leaders to fix the pensions? If so then whats the issue here besides engineer being apwa?

browned out

I'm confused. thought you folks asked your teamster leaders to fix the pensions? If so then whats the issue here besides engineer being apwa?

I don't believe it was " fix the pensions at any cost"

The last three contracts have set precedents that the Union keeps extending the concessions from the previous contract.

2 to 2 and half to 3 year progression.
60 day probationary period.
No benefits for part timers for 12 and 18 months
The only thing sort of reversed was 5 year deal down from 6 but that benefits UPS as well as employees.

The one that really bothers me is letting part-timers fill in for the option days and when drivers can't finish their rts. If a driver signs the 9.5 language and his rte usually takes 11 hours. Will or can that work go to a part time driver? Or will UPS hire more full time drivers. In our center alone, this language should create 3 or 4 more full time driver positions unless they work everyone who opts out of 9.5 language about 13 hours a day or use part time drivers.

If the pattern continues part-timers next will be filling in for vacations
and down the road they will split up routes into AM and PM filled by part timers.

Lets Make UPS totally part-time.

Paranoia will destroy ya

or is these realistic issues?

browned out

six billion is a lot of money.. I don't think I've seen one poster here that appreciates ups is willing to spend it. So in hind sight i wish we would have let cS continue to sink and kept the six billion

People will thank them as soon as they start collecting their pensions.

Tieguy I am still curious on your thoughts on the part time fill in drivers pandoras box I refered to in last post.

Please enlighten me

trickpony1

What ever happened to the ".....$7000 a month" pension payment to members the company stood before Congress and claimed they could provide if the company controlled/took over the pension?
I've seen one other poster on this board ask the same question. I vividly recall reading that language in the transcript after the congressional investigation but, alas, I haven't heard any more about it, hmmmm........