Healthcare cost raised for the retired

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's the way it's been for a long time...I could see a small gradual increase.

We could probably also blame Teamcare.

A lot of employees were in the UPS plan helping to offset the cost of insurance.

All these employees were switched to Teamcare, leaving the UPS retiree insurance unsustainable, in a sense. A huge money loser.

That is probably why there were no increases until everyone was forced into Teamcare.

A lot of employees were in the UPS plan helping to offset the cost of insurance.

All these employees were switched to Teamcare, leaving the UPS retiree insurance unsustainable, in a sense. A huge money loser.

That is probably why there were no increases until everyone was forced into Teamcare.
I'll probably be working here forever.

542thruNthru

I can see where milkman is coming from. Just before you retire you vote on a contract that has healthcare when you retire. It tells you in writing that you only have to pay $x amount. You are happy. Yes there was no guarantee on the paper work. So is it ok for active members to vote on healthcare raises for retired when the retired can't even vote. What's next, when you and me retire will have to put 40 to 50 % of are pension check into healthcare because the younger generation voted on it. Why, because they don't want to look it the future. He'll may be it will be 75 to 95%. Ski is the limit!! Why do we Even fight for anything anymore. No one cares!! No one cares anymore!

I can see where he is coming from also but let's say we give every retiree a vote. Does anyone really think they will not vote for themselves. Every single retiree will vote NO on anything that doesn't benefit them. "Oh those guys don't need better 9.5 language I didn't have it." "They don't need a raise they make enough." Seriously every vote will only be for their benefits. I understand that everything changes with every contract. I know that and still have 20 years to go. How is it these guys that are retired didn't realize that?

Look I'm sorry you got screwed I really am. I didn't like the contract either but as you can see they passed it anyways. I'm just getting sick of hearing the same old line "these guys don't think about their future or look out for the past drivers." Well I seriously doubt you guys thought of the retirees with every contract. I also see you didn't think about the future drivers since we have a two tier scale and have seen progression steadily increase over the years.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That's just human nature. But maybe , just maybe , current employees will read a thread like this and say "ya , they're right, maybe i should make the contract a little stronger for when i retire ."

years ago people just looked at social security for retirement until pensions , IRA's and 401k's and other retirement vehicles came along . with them came public service announcements encouraging people to take advantage of these options and think more about their future retirement.

and it has been slowly working. what we retirees are doing is the same thing. trying to make people aware of the problem. it's not going to fix itself.

The Milkman

I can see where he is coming from also but let's say we give every retiree a vote. Does anyone really think they will not vote for themselves. Every single retiree will vote NO on anything that doesn't benefit them. "Oh those guys don't need better 9.5 language I didn't have it." "They don't need a raise they make enough." Seriously every vote will only be for their benefits. I understand that everything changes with every contract. I know that and still have 20 years to go. How is it these guys that are retired didn't realize that?

Look I'm sorry you got screwed I really am. I didn't like the contract either but as you can see they passed it anyways. I'm just getting sick of hearing the same old line "these guys don't think about their future or look out for the past drivers." Well I seriously doubt you guys thought of the retirees with every contract. I also see you didn't think about the future drivers since we have a two tier scale and have seen progression steadily increase over the years.

I always had the future in my mind, That's why I would of been happy with a dime raise, or none at all if need be. BUT please keep the benefits intact for all our futures. I believe a lot of the changes in past contracts was because of the P/Ters's not getting involved, And with such a high turnover rate, it was to UPS's advantage to use that in their game plan.......

Inthegame

Agreed. It doubled from $50 to $100 per month the first premium raise.

Probably something we can also blame ObamaCare for, one way or another.
Right, cause healthcare costs never went up before the ACA...

There is no "insurance". The UPS plan for retiree coverage was and is self funded. Claims are paid and costs have risen.
UPS proposed big retiree increases in 2008, successfully fought off by KH, with the condition of reviewing the proposal in 2013.

Inthegame

I always had the future in my mind, That's why I would of been happy with a dime raise, or none at all if need be. BUT please keep the benefits intact for all our futures. I believe a lot of the changes in past contracts was because of the P/Ters's not getting involved, And with such a high turnover rate, it was to UPS's advantage to use that in their game plan.......
Are you suggesting it's the non-voting pt's that caused H&W rates to go up?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
here is no "insurance". The UPS plan for retiree coverage was and is self funded.

I was waiting for someone to post something dumb like that. That is why I said, "in a sense."

No, there is no insurance. It is self funded. But, UPS also did not pay to the Teamsters a premium for all employees in the UPS plan. There was no premium. So, in a sense, there was money to be paid for benefits from the premiums not paid to the Teamsters. They could take the millions in dollars they did not pay for premiums and use it for claims.

Now, UPS is paying premiums to the Teamsters for all the employees that were in there plan. So now, UPS is out millions of dollars that it has to pay in premiums yet still self fund the retirees.

UPS proposed big retiree increases in 2008, successfully fought off by KH, with the condition of reviewing the proposal in 2013.

It was reviewed alright. H&H screwed the retirees just like they screwed the rest of us by forcing us into Teamcare.

Right, cause healthcare costs never went up before the ACA...

They went up, but not at the rate they have gone up in the last couple of years, since Obamacare.

And I feel for the retirees. Congress wants to cut their pensions in half and triple or quadruple their insurance premiums.

I'll probably be working here forever.

Me too.

Our portion of the pension that UPS has promised to make up if there are cuts will be on the line next. I said before, UPS is going to have a majority of the workforce in their 60's. Because they cannot afford to retire with half their pension and, by then, probably over $1000/mo for medical.

Good luck with that.

I was waiting for someone to post something dumb like that. That is why I said, "in a sense."

No, there is no insurance. It is self funded. But, UPS also did not pay to the Teamsters a premium for all employees in the UPS plan. There was no premium. So, in a sense, there was money to be paid for benefits from the premiums not paid to the Teamsters. They could take the millions in dollars they did not pay for premiums and use it for claims.

Now, UPS is paying premiums to the Teamsters for all the employees that were in there plan. So now, UPS is out millions of dollars that it has to pay in premiums yet still self fund the retirees.

It was reviewed alright. H&H screwed the retirees just like they screwed the rest of us by forcing us into Teamcare.

They went up, but not at the rate they have gone up in the last couple of years, since Obamacare.

And I feel for the retirees. Congress wants to cut their pensions in half and triple or quadruple their insurance premiums.

Me too.

Our portion of the pension that UPS has promised to make up if there are cuts will be on the line next. I said before, UPS is going to have a majority of the workforce in their 60's. Because they cannot afford to retire with half their pension and, by then, probably over $1000/mo for medical.

Good luck with that.
45 and out.

Not age,years of service.

The Milkman

Me too.

Good luck with that.

All the senior drivers will keep going till 65 or 67 the way things are going...Unless they are left some $$$ from their parents, or hit the lottery.

The Milkman

Are you suggesting it's the non-voting pt's that caused H&W rates to go up?

The National contracts, and local supplements. We all know they are for the most part the majority of employees now, and if they accept the contract however poor it may be, The friend/Ter's will be out voted. Back in the 70's & 80's friend/Ter's outnumbered the P/Ter's , As there numbers grew and if they decided to vote then we were all affected. I think back when bonus's were offered...That was a guarantee the contract would of passed, and UPS knew it. Our local's H&W supplements were also affected by everyone's votes. When and if the P/Ter's complained about getting the shaft as far as raises went they were reminded that their votes do count on important issues

The Milkman

..or they plan properly for their retirement...

Did you really think that your premiums were going to stay at $50/month until you turned 65?

Yes, I was hopefully going to get what I was told. 1 more year and it's not going to matter anymore as I get the boot. Ups can't get rid of us fast enough

The Milkman

Did you really think that your premiums were going to stay at $50/month until you turned 65?

Planning for retirement is as you know different for everybody. Some guys get out of HS and go to work at UPS, live at home, don't get married and save save save. No girlfriends, no social lives just worried about he almighty dollar. I knew a few. Some people like myself get started later in life. I was going through my 2nd divorce at the time I was hired back in 82. With no HS diploma, child support payments, and huge lawyers fees, it was hard to save a dime when not making decent $$ at UPS. After the 2nd divorce I started at UPS. Still paying lawyer fees etc, making top dollar after 9 months ( 4 years today) then I was finally able to start saving. At just over 30 when started at UPS I was able to pay down debt, and finally made progress when child support stopped. When the 401K was offered I got into it. That was a game changer. Got in back in 86. Got remarried in 93 and when I hung it up in 08 I had a decent size bag of cash in addition to my pension check. Now If I did not have the life events happen to me like they did, and got an inheritance (like some do) I would obviously be in better shape. But I had to play my cards in life the way they were dealt to me. So if you were dealt a better hand than me then I am happy for you as many of us don't.

10 point

The great Oz has spoken.
Shame on us for not "planning properly".

I have the same wife I married in 1980. She went thru a bad bout with cancer and we about went bankrupt twice but even if we don't have a chunk of money set aside it wasn't because we didn't " plan properly".

Still married to your sweetheart?
Probably didn't plan properly or expect the unexpected?
Give people a break.

The great Oz has spoken.
Shame on us for not "planning properly".

I have the same wife I married in 1980. She went thru a bad bout with cancer and we about went bankrupt twice but even if we don't have a chunk of money set aside it wasn't because we didn't " plan properly".

Still married to your sweetheart?
Probably didn't plan properly or expect the unexpected?
Give people a break.
When I started we didn't have a 401k plan we had a thrift plan that we could contribute $6 bucks a week to.
And our pension fund was 100%