Healthcare

hypo hanna

Then with the changes being kicked about to what is covered under office visits and copays, etc, it look like the typical, young, HEALTHY employee will have no real net change in their out of pocket expense. Employees that have any health issues (or covered family members with chronic health issues), will LOSE big time under this arrangement.

This is what makes me wonder... The older, salaried employee with health issues (or a spouse or child with health issues - 'children' are now up to age 26 regardless of marital status) are going to take it disproportionally harder than the younger, healthy employee. Is this a back door attempt to push these employees out to get a younger (and less costly) employee by FedEx???

​This is the way I see it. HSA plans are fine for the young and healthy but horrible for older workers or those with chronic health issues.

vantexan

So it looks like the deductible for a family plan will be $3500 a year under the 2014 plan. I got an email that the individual deductible will be $1500 - not sure if this is JUST for the individual plan, OR if it applies as well to the family plan (deductible for an individual covered under family plan is capped at $1500, then benefits kick in OR the entire $3500 must be accumulated first for ALL members in a family plan). Any way one looks at it - it is a reduction in benefit.

What it looks like Express will do in order to sell this pile of crap, is 'offer' contributions to HSA in the amount of $400 a year for individuals or $800 a year for family plans (I expect this to be the 'smiley face' they will slap on this pile of crap). This is all new procedure allowed under Obamacare, so I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of it. I'm also not sure if the prescriptions are included in the above coverage - or are a separate benefit. Whether or not prescriptions are included or excluded in the annual deductible amount will be the determining factor in whether this is a wholesale shafting of all employees, or just a mild ankle grabber for most.

It appears that the above amounts will be deposited by Express in HSAs, then the employee (family) can use this amount to pay for billings. If the employee doesn't use all of the amount deposited, then the cash rolls over to the next year - presumably with the ability to roll over indefinitely into retirement if it is never used (unclear on this).

Then with the changes being kicked about to what is covered under office visits and copays, etc, it look like the typical, young, HEALTHY employee will have no real net change in their out of pocket expense. Employees that have any health issues (or covered family members with chronic health issues), will LOSE big time under this arrangement.

This is what makes me wonder... The older, salaried employee with health issues (or a spouse or child with health issues - 'children' are now up to age 26 regardless of marital status) are going to take it disproportionally harder than the younger, healthy employee. Is this a back door attempt to push these employees out to get a younger (and less costly) employee by FedEx???

For the low cost Choice plan the individual deductible is $2250. Goes way up from there for employee/child and employee/family. Prescriptions aren't covered by the HSA.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For the low cost Choice plan the individual deductible is $2250. Goes way up from there for employee/child and employee/family. Prescriptions aren't covered by the HSA.

This is Ryancare. Wait for your voucher, van. This is what you get when you have a corporation run by a Tea Party crazy. Mr. Smith is going to make his profit margin however he can, and that includes our medical plan. Are you getting the Big Picture yet?

MAKAVELI

This is Ryancare. Wait for your voucher, van. This is what you get when you have a corporation run by a Tea Party crazy. Mr. Smith is going to make his profit margin however he can, and that includes our medical plan. Are you getting the Big Picture yet?
Don't be so hard on Van. He is probably still recovering from the realization that he is not getting that big raise in Oct to catch up to top range.

TUT

If some of the preliminaries are correct, between the pension take away back in 2008, the wage stagnation of 2009-13, and the impending health insurance take away of 2014 - an Express hourly will have received an adjusted (post inflation) reduction of about 20-25% in REAL compensation in that 5 year period of time. Most of the idiots don't realize this, since they don't 'see it' in their weekly paycheck, but it is reduction in overall compensation nevertheless.

I've written about how and why some of the people in Memphis WANTED the hourlies unionize, to prevent the takeaways from accelerating and trying to preserve something for themselves in the process. I think this latest take away illustrates this desire of theirs quite well.

From my outside view, that sounds about right across the board. I get all of that the sum of losses and how Front Office even wants Blue Collar to soar, as that only benefits them to. Bring down one, you bring down the other. If I understood it correctly... your Pension Takeaway was deodorized with a lot of old time office workers already maxing their years into it, so the new pension was like a double pension for them. So that was a very large and powerful group winning big by the change.

vantexan

Don't be so hard on Van. He is probably still recovering from the realization that he is not getting that big raise in Oct to catch up to top range.

Nah, I'm just grinning my head off thinking about what I would have been doing for the next few years vs. what I'm going to do in 11 weeks. Would've preferred to have gotten a bigger pension before leaving but other than that just glad to be going. But you were right and I was wrong. We work for a company that has become incapable of keeping it's word to it's employees because the only thing they truly care about is making big money for themselves.

vantexan

You are going to be much more affected by Obamacare, assuming it isn't rescinded. Keep in mind that Ryan et al are trying to figure a way out of the debt crisis. You don't want any cutbacks, just spend, spend, spend.

vantexan

Well if I had to choose I'd go MSNBC vs Fox. One side is open to people being different, the other side assumes everyone is the same and if not that is your problem. I try to remind them "Their all God's children" since they are God fearing... but I found they can't add small thoughts together well to form a logical decision. If you are narrow and want everyone to think like you.... you are right you cannot beat Fox. I've grown up and past that.

​You obviously don't watch it.

vantexan

How about The Five.... At least a couple whack jobs on there, esp. the good looking chick. I've watched it for years at one point. I used to be you... and then I decided to open my mind a bit more.

How many years has The Five been on? 2?

vantexan

How about The Five.... At least a couple whack jobs on there, esp. the good looking chick. I've watched it for years at one point. I used to be you... and then I decided to open my mind a bit more.

I've worked all over the U.S. including some of the most liberal areas of the country. The difference I've found is conservatives in general are trying to hang on to what they value, while liberals are trying to take away anything they don't value. It seems to me in general that when a liberal doesn't like something he not only doesn't want to see it but he can't stand the idea that others like it and want to participate in it. Christianity for example. It's not enough that the lib wants to live a certain way. He can't tolerate knowing that others believe. Of course there are varying levels to this. Some are live and let live. But libs always seem on the attack as if they want to control every aspect of our lives.

TUT

I've worked all over the U.S. including some of the most liberal areas of the country. The difference I've found is conservatives in general are trying to hang on to what they value, while liberals are trying to take away anything they don't value. It seems to me in general that when a liberal doesn't like something he not only doesn't want to see it but he can't stand the idea that others like it and want to participate in it. Christianity for example. It's not enough that the lib wants to live a certain way. He can't tolerate knowing that others believe. Of course there are varying levels to this. Some are live and let live. But libs always seem on the attack as if they want to control every aspect of our lives.

Hmm.... amazing. I see it quite different. Control is also a funny word, depends on what you are trying to control. To think one side is more guilty or innocent overall is probably naive. I would just as well call it even. GUILTY. And trying two new contestants. We've been lied to, too many times. Trust should and is gone, they made their own beds.

So it comes down to what does each side want to control at its core?

The thing is what is the core?

Is it human rights vs corporate rights? (which I think that is the start of everything else as it is economy and making day to day bearable), which side is more human rights? Which side is more corporate rights? Is there a debate here?

Is it religious rights vs non-religious rights? I don't care about those, unless I am forced to do one or not do one, just as long as I have choice there, I don't care nothing more about it than that. (Slightly LIBS)

Is it sexual rights? I don't care much about that as long as I can make my own choice. (LIBS)

Is it gun rights? No one is saying no guns, it is the degree that is being debated. I am all for hunting and responsible ownership. I can get behind certain types being illegal and limiting mag size. But overall not a huge deal to me, just as long it is somewhere in there. (Slightly LIBS because they aren't saying at all get rid of guns, the other side has grenades and tanks being possible talking points for ownership, yeah.)

Abortion, I'm for the person having the choice. I also don't buy into the Conservatives and the God pushing part here. They have no problem with war and making huge profits off war machines. They have no problem with blood flowing in the least. (LIBS)

I don't see Libs saying you cannot have your values and your traditions. They are just saying what you value and such doesn't mean I have to follow that and I'm allowed to have my own values and traditions. I am totally in favor of that line of thinking. We are a melting pot, we are different, we cannot think every is alike. (LIBS)

Health insurance for all? I think it is noble. It isn't a Utopian dream either, since many successful countries do have it. I'm for everyone vs not (pseudo). (LIBS)

Immigration. I am for a controlled boarder. Both sides seem to agree, it's just how doing it is debated. Am I for amnesty of the one's here or sending them back? I could go either way, but I think one is possible and the other isn't and sitting here with our thumbs up our bums doing nothing is stupid and self serving to some. So that mean amnesty wins. (LIBS)

I am for balancing a checkbook and staying within means. That is more conservative in nature or popular thinking. But I think most responsible people on both sides want that. The stigma with the libs are the welfare/system reliant one's. I do balance that with corporate welfare and face it any denomination has people working the system. But lets call it functional, good people that are libs or conservs. I think all these people believe in balanced checkbooks and staying within one's boundaries. I call this a push.

I am against closed mindedness. Biter/anger under-tones. "I did it like this... you should to" thoughts. I am against "this is what I think and so should you" I do find these more conservative in nature. I really want people to live by what they say and know. "People are different"... since we all say that, RESPECT IT! or stop saying that and say "We are all the same", which we know is untrue.

I see almost all issues are issues because "People are different". I don't see how we can make it "People are all the same" so we best figure out the best plan knowing "People are different".

TUT

How many years has The Five been on? 2?

What does it matter? They have some closed minded people in near prime time spewing closed minded thoughts an hour each day. The show should be called, "This is what we think and so should you!". Like even stupid topics like 4 out of 5 not liking Jazz, going out of their way to say it and two of them making fun of those that do. Really? I never knew there was a disrespect for Jazz. Even if it isn't your thing, it is a totally fine, classy and sophisticated sound. Just weird what comes out of their mouths. It's "here is the topic" and "here is my shallow view that you should have to". A-Typical for Fox in general when it is anything editorial or personal views.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Yes, most Christians are "live and let live". Just ask your local gay couple.

vantexan

What does it matter? They have some closed minded people in near prime time spewing closed minded thoughts an hour each day. The show should be called, "This is what we think and so should you!". Like even stupid topics like 4 out of 5 not liking Jazz, going out of their way to say it and two of them making fun of those that do. Really? I never knew there was a disrespect for Jazz. Even if it isn't your thing, it is a totally fine, classy and sophisticated sound. Just weird what comes out of their mouths. It's "here is the topic" and "here is my shallow view that you should have to". A-Typical for Fox in general when it is anything editorial or personal views.

But it's an opinion show, not hard news. People can take it or leave it. But as I pointed out, liberals want to control what's on, not allow different opinions then what they believe. Political correctness. Saying people are naive or unsophisticated because they don't see it the way you do.

vantexan

Yes, most Christians are "live and let live". Just ask your local gay couple.

I don't see gays being attacked physically by practicing Christians. Christians may disagree with their lifestyle but when it comes to violence you're much more likely to see it from non-believers. Just look at the anger that springs forth from your writing.