Help me quit smoking

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Now, the good news is as of 05/09/09, 11:30 pm eastern standard time, I had my last cigarette. So tonight at 11:30, I will have gone 72 hours without a cigarette. I learned something from my aborted attempt at quitting a week ago which shows one can learn from failure. I did try someone's trick at leaving a pack of cigarettes in my possession and that backfired. Indeed, if I had a pack of cigarettes in my possession right now, I think I would be smoking them right now. I am not saying it is a bad idea to have a reserve pack but it didn't work for me.

Now it took 87 posts before Rod delivered the above quoted confession/testiimonial. The fact that he was a three pack a day smoker meant he was hooked. Yet he was able to quit cold turkey. He mentioned will power. I guess I set up as much as I could to make the transition easier., ie. I washed my clothes and sheets and bedding and after I did, I made sure I did whatever remaining smoking on saturday outside. After I smoked my last cigarette, I stripped off my clothes and took a shower to get the smoke off of me.

Went to bed, got up when I felt like it . Been drinking coffee like a mad man to jump start my adrenal glands now that I don't use cigarettes . Although I don't need as much coffee now.

But the point I am trying to make is that I refuse to give the cigarettes any consideration. True , I took measures that should ease the transition but now whatever difference needs to be made up is the willpower part, as Rod mentioned.

I am especially focused on the first three days as here is some of the benefits from something I picked up somewhere .

Benefit of Becoming a non smoker"

Within 20 minutes

Body temperature of the feet and hands increase to normal
Pulse rate drops to normal rate
Blood pressure drops to normal

After 12 HOURs
pulse rate will slow and skin temp incr

ease
oxygen level in blood increases to normal
carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal

After 24 hours
Chance of heart attack decreases due to improved cardiac function and ciruculation
fine motor coordination will improve

After 48 hours
Never endings start regowing, therefore ability to smell and taste is enhanced

So that's in the bank because I passed these milestones(if you will)

72 hours is a big milestone, I'll post what that is tomorrow when I actually achieve it tonight at work. Thanks Rod, and others who I will acknowledge when my head isn't spinning(mentally a little unfocused but when I am moving or engaged in driving , I am okay).

I am going to refrain from posting too much for the time being as I don't want to be married to the computer. I need to be moving in order to be less likely to want to smoke. Hope you all understand. Ill post a little more over the next week to update and hopefully explain what worked for me. Probably over the weekend.

I see some typos but ain't gonna fix em, forgive me.

This from a Red Sox fan, keep it up! I quit (using gum for about a week) three years ago. It gets easier every day.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
:wink2::peaceful:

Thanks trplnk!!! I missed you guys:bigsmile2:
I missed ya too.

everybody loves a quitter .

seriously, I may tease the red sox fans but we have a common enemy : the hated yankees.
ARGH, maybe you'll feel differently, after you quit those accursed cigs, LOL.:surprised:

You're not alone, pickup. My wife just started reading the book. She called from Jersey to tell me she loves it.

P

pickup

Is she still standing behind you??!!?!

I am not sure how to interpret this question, but I will try to answer. If you are asking me if she is supporting my effort to quit smoking and is trying to be helpful then the answer is Yes!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Pickup, I think Over9 was wondering if your wife was physically standing behind you and watching what you were posting online. :peaceful: At least thats my take on it.

Good luck with trying to quit smoking, I have wrestled with that monster too.

P

pickup

Okay, I have gone 3 and 1/2 days without smoking and I feel great.
according to my propaganda sheet. here is the prize I get for going past 72 hours

AFTER 72 HOURS

-bronchial tubes relax , making breathing easier
- lung capacity increases

on this sheet, there are more miles stones at 2 weeks, 1 month , 1 year
but I am glad I got 3 days under my belt. I will reinforce mentally in my head the benefits of the first three days. I will hold on to them in the face of whatever temptation might pop up. The first three days are the hardest and I really believe that the drinking of a lot of water really helped. I'll post in a more clarified manner over the weekend.

Also, I believe the coffee was a big help too . One addiction in place of another, I admit, but I am really cutting back on the cofffee consumption, but I always have it around me now and will not hesitate to use it(instead of smoking)

especiallly considering I work at night and need to stay alert

I will say this , every attempt to quit is valid for even if it lasts a short time you learn something about the nature of the beast, you learn something about yourself. You learn what worked , what didn't . But most importantly , you tried so even if you fail. You can try again .

If you are to take one thing from me, it would be WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER. and if you are so inclined COFFEE, COFFEE, COFFEE ( To jump start your adrenals) .

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Pickup, I think Over9 was wondering if your wife was physically standing behind you and watching what you were posting online. :peaceful: At least thats my take on it.

I thought 9/5 meant that also. Did you win, Scratch?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You know, if a couple people on here quit smoking because of a few discussions......that's a really good thing !!

This is a valuable thread and so very helpful to people struggling with a habit. :peaceful:
It's a good thing I finished reading this thread (well at least I got to your post More). I agree and thank you for beating me to it.

Some of you may remember when we got back from Puerto Vallarta last year I spent 5 days in the hospital. Very very sick. Didn't smoke for 2 weeks after that. I had quit. I made a promise to someone that I respect alot and went back on that promise. :dissapointed: I wish I hadn't. So here I am today still smoking.

I am glad that this thread was started and please keep it going. I am reading it. I will add my name to this list.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Hence the reason for the 'smokin hot' post. LMAO

LiL"Comet"

:fan:Pickup your doing a great job keep up the good work!!

I haven't smoked in 23 days mmm, I think. I don't think about how many days its been now. I feel better about myself, saving some $, smelling a lot better, but most of all my kids are happy. They hated me smoking and now I don't have to find them because they were hid in the sock draw. LOL

Keep going... I'm routing for you..

LiL"Comet"

It's a good thing I finished reading this thread (well at least I got to your post More). I agree and thank you for beating me to it.

Some of you may remember when we got back from Puerto Vallarta last year I spent 5 days in the hospital. Very very sick. Didn't smoke for 2 weeks after that. I had quit. I made a promise to someone that I respect alot and went back on that promise. :dissapointed: I wish I hadn't. So here I am today still smoking.

I am glad that this thread was started and please keep it going. I am reading it. I will add my name to this list.

Come on Dilli!!!! You can do it, I'll tell ya what lets make a deal you can quite smoking and I will have to getting back into shape. I've been putting off starting P90X again. That could be a big celebration on the cruise for those who go who ever was able to kick a bad habit.. Like I have with UPS this week dropped it like a bad habit. lol Vacation

Think about it lets do it make a date... :woohoo:

OK how long is it going to take for someone to chime in on this post 9.5 will be first...

P

pickup

Well, dilligaf , you have my sympathy for I know what it is like to quit for a relatively significant amount of time and then relapse. You also have my congratulations for you have a memory of what it was like to quit. Perhaps, when the time is right , the memory of that will be helpful when you try to quit again.

The Roses of Success

Just in case someone is misreading the above paragraph, I am now 4 days smoke free and have not relapsed and am not even entertaining the idea

P

pickup

:fan:Pickup your doing a great job keep up the good work!!

I haven't smoked in 23 days mmm, I think. I don't think about how many days its been now. I feel better about myself, saving some $, smelling a lot better, but most of all my kids are happy. They hated me smoking and now I don't have to find them because they were hid in the sock draw. LOL

Keep going... I'm routing for you..

Thanks for the support and inspiration. Keep up the good work yourself . I am very happy for you.