Help me quit smoking

John19841

A lot of the women that I've seen, look cool with that haircut, more.

I also want to thank Ryan for his advice on that book. My wife is reading it, and it's really opening her eyes. Thanks!

That's good to hear. I really don't know why there isn't more knowledge of it. I gave a copy to my mother in law and it's worked so far for her too....

I just wanted to ad, before I read it I only half wanted to quit. I knew that I should, but I didn't really have any ambition to. I really thought I enjoyed it, and couldn't picture not smoking. I figured I'd try, and fully expected it to last a few days, just like it always had before. Never truthfully thought (to myself) that I'd quit. I didn't think I had the willpower to. I still really can't believe it's been over two months already.

Let me put it a little more in perspective. I can't believe it's been 2+ months already because it's gone by so fast, and with so little thought of smoking. I am very proud of myself (probably the most I've ever been) that I was able to stop. You'll always hear that it was the hardest thing someone's ever done. Well, for me, I'll admit it was not the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Honestly, it wasn't even hard.

We are brainwashed into thinking it is hard. Thinking that we are giving something up that our body needs and that is so completely addictive that it's almost impossible to quit for life. More importantly we're brainwashed into believing that they relieve stress and calm us down. It's actually the opposite; they create it. The need for nicotine is what makes you stressed. The cigarette just calms that and creates more stress (need.) The book makes the analogy that it is like purposely wearing a pair of shoes a few times to small just to feel that good feeling of relief when you get to take them off. I think it's a good analogy.

Read the book :funny:

Ok, I'm done acting like a Jehovah's Witness :anxious:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I just wanted to ad, before I read it I only half wanted to quit. I knew that I should, but I didn't really have any ambition to. I really thought I enjoyed it, and couldn't picture not smoking. I figured I'd try, and fully expected it to last a few days, just like it always had before. Never truthfully thought (to myself) that I'd quit. I didn't think I had the willpower to.Read the book :funny:

I think this is where she's at. I can picture you standing at the entrance to the local supermarket holding the book, and trying to convince people to read it.:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son is going to quit smoking tomorrow but I wouldn't recommend his program. He has had some legal issues and will be spending the next 60-90 days at our local county jail. This jail does not allow smoking anywhere on the property. It is my hope that he takes this time to reflect (I bought him a journal as one of his birthday gifts) and that he does not pick up a cigarette again for the rest of his life.

(I debated for a long time before posting this as this is more personal than I normally get and respectfully ask that you refrain from asking about this situation out of respect for both my son and I. I also ask that you refrain from offering suggestions, comments or anything else in regard to his situation. Thank you.)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was thinking more of the door to door "have you seen the light?" type, but yeah..that works too. :teethy:
Forgot about those, since we haven't been subjected to that since they met our trio of Aussie's.:wink2:

I was thinking Billy Mays.
LOL, that too!

My son is going to quit smoking tomorrow but I wouldn't recommend his program. He has had some legal issues and will be spending the next 60-90 days at our local county jail. This jail does not allow smoking anywhere on the property. It is my hope that he takes this time to reflect (I bought him a journal as one of his birthday gifts) and that he does not pick up a cigarette again for the rest of his life.

(I debated for a long time before posting this as this is more personal than I normally get and respectfully ask that you refrain from asking about this situation out of respect for both my son and I. I also ask that you refrain from offering suggestions, comments or anything else in regard to his situation. Thank you.)
WOW, that really was personal and I, for one, appreciate you sharing. Prayers with you guys.:peaceful:

Today is the 634th day since I quit smoking. Yes I'm keeping track and will continue to do so. It was and continues to be the hardest thing I've ever done. My incentive was having to go thru my second triple bypass surgery. I still have cravings but they don't last too long anymore. People will also tell you how much money you save...correct. I have this huge milk jar about 2ft tall and have been putting my ciggarette savings into it daily. There is a lot of green in that jar, over 3 grand and will spend it on something special for myself.
P.S. After 40 yrs my cough mysteriously vanished!

rod

Retired 22 years
Today is the 634th day since I quit smoking. Yes I'm keeping track and will continue to do so. It was and continues to be the hardest thing I've ever done. My incentive was having to go thru my second triple bypass surgery. I still have cravings but they don't last too long anymore. People will also tell you how much money you save...correct. I have this huge milk jar about 2ft tall and have been putting my ciggarette savings into it daily. There is a lot of green in that jar, over 3 grand and will spend it on something special for myself.

Do yourself a BIG favor and get that money into a bank. I have a friend that estimates he had over $4,000 bucks in his big glass jar------------ until one day someone broke into his house and stoled it.

P

pickup

Do yourself a BIG favor and get that money into a bank. I have a friend that estimates he had over $4,000 bucks in his big glass jar------------ until one day someone broke into his house and stoled it.

Yeah, give it to the bankers, you can be certain they won't steal it.:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::surprised::knockedout:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I know you look forward to spending that money on something special for yourself, which is a great incentive. But think how great you would feel if you found a worthy cause, besides you, (which is quite a worthy cause), to give that money to. You could call it the, "I quit fund". Just a thought, though spending it on yourself is equally as noble. Great job, by the way. Glad you made it so far.:happy2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
"P.S. After 40 yrs my cough mysteriously vanished!"

Justnumbers,
That effect was almost instantaneous for me.....and I usually coughed & hacked all the time.

sano

I know you look forward to spending that money on something special for yourself, which is a great incentive. But think how great you would feel if you found a worthy cause, besides you, (which is quite a worthy cause), to give that money to. You could call it the, "I quit fund". Just a thought, though spending it on yourself is equally as noble. Great job, by the way. Glad you made it so far.:happy2:
Steve. Please. The guy quite smoking. Dont give him the "starving children in India" Guilt trip.:happy-very:

P

pickup

That's good to hear. I really don't know why there isn't more knowledge of it. I gave a copy to my mother in law and it's worked so far for her too....

I just wanted to ad, before I read it I only half wanted to quit. I knew that I should, but I didn't really have any ambition to. I really thought I enjoyed it, and couldn't picture not smoking. I figured I'd try, and fully expected it to last a few days, just like it always had before. Never truthfully thought (to myself) that I'd quit. I didn't think I had the willpower to. I still really can't believe it's been over two months already.

Let me put it a little more in perspective. I can't believe it's been 2+ months already because it's gone by so fast, and with so little thought of smoking. I am very proud of myself (probably the most I've ever been) that I was able to stop. You'll always hear that it was the hardest thing someone's ever done. Well, for me, I'll admit it was not the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Honestly, it wasn't even hard.

We are brainwashed into thinking it is hard. Thinking that we are giving something up that our body needs and that is so completely addictive that it's almost impossible to quit for life. More importantly we're brainwashed into believing that they relieve stress and calm us down. It's actually the opposite; they create it. The need for nicotine is what makes you stressed. The cigarette just calms that and creates more stress (need.) The book makes the analogy that it is like purposely wearing a pair of shoes a few times to small just to feel that good feeling of relief when you get to take them off. I think it's a good analogy.

Read the book :funny:

Ok, ryan 1984. I bought the book and I am half way through and I am just wondering where the "I've seen the light " moment happens in this book.