Help me quit smoking

DS

Fenderbender
Ok, ryan 1984. I bought the book and I am half way through and I am just wondering where the "I've seen the light " moment happens in this book.
ME TOO! I'm on page 82, chapter 23 titled Beware of cutting down.
Errrr...I am down to about 12 a day ...instead of 40...using will power.
I want to see the light too!

P

pickup

that's pretty darn good. Willpower, the green ring ain't no good without (that's a green lantern joke to those who don't get it, but d.s. did)

John19841

It's been a little while, just wondering how you're doing with it?

And did you miss one of the first things mentioned in the book? Don't quit until you're done with the book, and there's no such thing as "cutting down" :wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It's been a little while, just wondering how you're doing with it?

And did you miss one of the first things mentioned in the book? Don't quit until you're done with the book, and there's no such thing as "cutting down" :wink2:
I don't know how well my wife is doing, I'm afraid to ask. She has started a new workout/running program, so maybe she's found another outlet. I'll ask her soon as I get the nerve.:surprised:

UPSAOT

Great thread...I wish I'd known about it sooner. I had my last smoke on April 20. I am using the patch-tomorrow is my last day. (btw, I got my patches free through UPS's "Quit for Life") It has been tough. I didn't really want to quit. What pushed me into it was Obama's tax increase. It is obvious that they will just keep raising the taxes every year or so. And now that the FDA is regulating...who knows what will happen. I am not giving them any extra money than I already have to.

Anyway-I also wanted to comment on the E-cigs. I decided to try one about 4 weeks after stopping, partially to have something to satisfy the "hand-to-mouth" urges, replacing the "food-to-mouth" action that I have been giving in to. (10 lbs up so far)

I have to admit-the first time I took a hit I was very surprised-it felt JUST like smoking. A little different on the draw, but similar. I never thought I would like flavored smokes, but I used some Cherry in my Ecig and it tasted really good. I am using the NO nicotine now as I am on the patch still, and most likely will continue with no nicotine.

I am not using it to replace smoking completely. Only at those times when I really get anxious for a smoke. If anyone is considering it, do a lot of research and don't buy from the first kiosk or website you find. I don't know if you can post a link on here, but there is a very informative website where all your questions can be answered.

I am not suggesting to anyone to use this as a way to quit smoking, or replace smoking. I am just saying what I am trying. But IMO, there are 3 ingredients in an Ecig vs. 3000, I believe, in a regular smoke. Of the alternatives, I think Ecigs, or vaping as it is known, is safer.

Sorry so long-if anyone has questions feel free to PM me. And good luck, congratulations, keep up the good work to all those quitting, considering quitting, in the midst of quitting.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dont know if it will help any, but in my situation, had I been a smoker, the day I lost most of my hand, they would never had put it back. So while this post is a bit different.......

The best thing a person can have when they want to quit any habit (smoking, over eating, drinking etc) is a support group. Not talking something like AA etc, but the personal group you have around you every day. From sups to other drivers, to family and friends to others you come into contact every day. And a deep belief that you can do it.

Biggest threat? A spouse or other family member that does not want you to succeed for whatever reason.

d

terrymac

today 07/07/09 ,is my one year anniversary of quit smokin........ 2 - 3 packs a day for twenty five years.... chantix.... never mind peeing in the closet, or the great sex dreams....... the stuff worked for me in 10 days, no smokes, no chantix.................. all I needed was one day, then I knew I could do It.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
P/U, Steve (wife) How is the no smoking coming along? Monavie?
2842803625_f4803bb904.jpg
She ain't ready to quit. Although, she did start an exercise program, which she has been on for over a month now.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Still smoking.....Gonna talk to my doc when I go in to see about possibly having diabetes and see if he can reccomend something
Man, sorry to hear that. Sounds like it's time to drastically change your eating habits as well as stop smoking. I know this sounds kinda strong, but now your life is at stake and you need to make those changes. Don't make me drive north, mistah!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Monavie, weren't you talking about this a month or 2 ago in chat? Please get this checked. It is important. Your life and job are at stake here. Diabetes is nothing to mess around with. Your family needs you to be there and we want you to be here. Please have it checked. Dilli

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Monavie, weren't you talking about this a month or 2 ago in chat? Please get this checked. It is important. Your life and job are at stake here. Diabetes is nothing to mess around with. Your family needs you to be there and we want you to be here. Please have it checked. [-]Dilli[/-] MOM:wink2:

P

pickup

P/U, Steve (wife) How is the no smoking coming along? Monavie?

still doing well, dilligaf. I think it has been 2 and 1/2 months since I quit. I could be wrong, I could check when I posted I legitimately quit. I am doing alright, I'll see how I will be doing in november when it gets cold, and dark out. Right now, I am just sucking the energy off the daylight and the warmth of summer. I have more energy but when the energy goes, I have to be ready to hit the bed because smoking a cigarette to get a "kick" is no longer an option.

upssup

After 20 years of smoking I went in to the doc got a prescription for Zyban. Took it two months and have never looked back. I was also to the point that I was tired of doing it and had two young kids at home and thought it was time.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
After 20 years of smoking I went in to the doc got a prescription for Zyban. Took it two months and have never looked back. I was also to the point that I was tired of doing it and had two young kids at home and thought it was time.
When did you get your script? I just tried to get the generic filled and was denied. Ins won't cover it anymore.