How big is your 401k?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The government is starting to greedily eye all of the money in retirement accounts and thinking about taxing it. Who can say it won't happen in the future?
This concerns me somewhat, too. I wonder what the odds are that this will happen.

This also concerns me, although I don't think we will see it in our lifetimes. Our kids may have to deal with this when it is their turn to retire.

jaker

trolling
This is my plan don't know if any of you think it's ok

I don't have nothing in my 401k and don't plan on putting nothing into it , but my retirement plan is feeder

We have everything we need now and getting it down to bare necessities so when I hit feeder I will only have a car payment for a year and then just the bills that happen every month

The plan is to bank half my feeder check every week until I retire , we are living fine on driver pay so anything over that is just more money and I hope to do 20 years in feeder unless life screws it up

T

Turdferguson

I don't have nothing in my 401k and don't plan on putting nothing into it , but my retirement plan is feeder

We have everything we need now and getting it down to bare necessities so when I hit feeder I will only have a car payment for a year and then just the bills that happen every month

The plan is to bank half my feeder check every week until I retire , we are living fine on driver pay so anything over that is just more money and I hope to do 20 years in feeder unless life screws it up
That ain't a plan dude

T

Turdferguson

No but some goofball not paying a lick of attention driving down the road can, or some supervisor who doesn't like the cut of your gib can , crap happens in life they take the money out pretax you don't even notice it plus you are not tempted to dip into your 401k

jaker

trolling
$300.00 lmao
You only making 300 more in feeder then when you was a driver

All the guys I know bring home 1700 week and that is the local guys , long haul guys are over 1900 a week

I don't want to do anything but long hauls have no interest in local runs at all

jaker

trolling
No but some goofball not paying a lick of attention driving down the road can, or some supervisor who doesn't like the cut of your gib can , crap happens in life they take the money out pretax you don't even notice it plus you are not tempted to dip into your 401k
True but that can still happen now even if you put into 401 , so short term 401 isn't going to help you if it does happens

And as far as being tempted I already have money taken out and put into account that only me and the wife can take money out of if we are together

jaker

trolling
I don't want to do anything but long hauls have no interest in local runs at all

Good luck with that!![/QUOTE]
Here in the west they are making guys sign a paper saying they will do long hauls for a year

They have a hard time getting guys in my area to do long hauls and drivers with low seniority are being forced to do them

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

You couldn't afford to put money away as a lowly package driver? If you are always waiting for the next windfall to start saving, you will always be broke.

jaker

trolling
You couldn't afford to put money away as a lowly package driver? If you are always waiting for the next windfall to start saving, you will always be broke.
Didn't say I didn't save money , I said I don't use 401 and have no plans to use it

So I don't know what you are trying to say , do I have enough in the bank to retire right now then no , but I have enough to miss a about 6 months of work

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Even leaving aside the fact that the market will give you a better long term return than a savings account the 401k is a tax shelter, I don't understand why you're not taking advantage of it. I think you'll regret this plan down the road.

joesmith

Update I have temporally stopped contributing money to my 401k, im now focused on paying off a car loan and I’m sending all of the money that was going into the 401k to the car loan and when I pay it off all of the car payment will go into the 401k on top of the 10%.

the reit has had a good run but seems to be trending down now.

Update I have temporally stopped contributing money to my 401k, im now focused on paying off a car loan and I’m sending all of the money that was going into the 401k to the car loan and when I pay it off all of the car payment will go into the 401k on top of the 10%.

the reit has had a good run but seems to be trending down now.
Why not at least contribute 1%?