How can I better my chances with the heat?

Asinine

So long story short, I went home early today after loading for maybe 3 hours. The one contribution factor being the insanely hot weather we've had down here today (heat index being at 115). People were literally dropping like flies. I was wondering, what could I be doing differently to better cope? I literally have a pretty strict healthy diet and the 6 meals a day. I usually only drink water and if not, it's juice. Also, I come in with light basketball shorts and short sleeves like suggested, but it seemed even then it didn't help. I really hated to leave, but I was having a migraine from hell and could feel that if I had been loading any longer in the longbed I was in, I would have passed out. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore "tips" I could use to help me deal a little bit better with the heat. Although I am good at what I do, I feel that if I have too many of these days, not only are my co workers going to think less of me, but may get me in a sticky situation with management.

menotyou

bella amicizia
QVC/HSN sells these things that you freeze and wear around your neck. They are suppose to help quite a bit. Go to the bathroom and drench your head with cold water. Sorry to hear what happened. Be very careful, as heat stroke can kill. I use to take 2- 1/2 gallon jugs of water filled with ice. Good luck to you.

Asinine

Hmm I may have to look around for something like that locally, thanks. And I definitely work with my limits on days like these, no matter what my Sup tends to think what I can/cannot handle. Usually I can work pretty well and efficiently even in the 90s, but today was just overkill. I'll try and see if tomorrow is any better, and I'll try to keep cool!

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
If you come to work dehydrated, you will never catch up no matter how much you drink while at work. Start hydrating the night before work and drink as much as you can before you go to work. I take a gallon of water with me on my truck and also at least one bottle of Poweraid or Gatorade to replace the electrolytes.

DS

Fenderbender
Drink lots of water,eat lots of oranges,watermelon,strawberries,....lunch...cucumbers,tomatoes pasta salad,and more water,
remember,everyone is different,only you know when you've had enough.

Asinine

Drink lots of water,eat lots of oranges,watermelon,strawberries,....lunch...cucumbers,tomatoes pasta salad,and more water,
remember,everyone is different,only you know when you've had enough.

Thanks. Like I said, I usually have pretty balanced meals. I'll try and add in more fruits.

When it gets hot it doesn't hurt to go commando or free balling. Not only is it a cool and liberating feeling but also a great conversations starter. Try it you can't go wrong.

ibleedbrown

avoid alcohol the night before lol i got pretty hammered at a fest last night and i was dying at work today lol i wanted to call in but i sucked it up! here is some great advice, i'm telling u this trick works wonders, a bandana! trust me it will keep the sweat from going in ur face and it will somehow keep u much cooler. i wear cut off sleeve shirts and the bandana and i'm golden! water, water, water, bandana u will be amazed.

brownedout

Like everyone else said: drink all day leading up to work, and aj and m n y had great ideas. I used to do similar (old school) 20 years ago as a preloader. Drape a soaked (in ice) towel around my neck; tie a frozen bandana around my head. Every little bit helps. It's hot out there people y'all be safe.

dillweed

I'm seeing lots of good advice here but watch the water! Guzzling water can make you nauseated. I take a large gatorade bottle about 3/4 filled with frozen water and fill it the rest of the way up in the morning. On the hot days I also take a frozen gatorade. Gatorade makes all the difference in how you'll feel.

I have also gone into the bathroom and doused my head with cold water. Several times I've even told my sup I was going outside for a few minutes of fresh air.

Trailers are hot boxes and that's it. Seems to be a lack of fans blowing into them. When we sweat and there's no breeze to dry it off we can get into trouble quick.

I knew yesterday I was getting overheated when my nose started to run. Sucked down a bit of gatorade and went back at it but at a bit slower pace, that's for sure.

For what it's worth, I take a couple ibuprofins before even going in, with a bit of food. I do it for my old, sore body but I feel it might ward off a headache.

The bandana idea is great because you can periodically run it under cold water. Most of all, please take care of yourself. If you get feeling too bad tell your sup you just have to cool off. No package is worth heat stroke. Take good care!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Try not to think about the heat and focus on the task at hand. I find that if I block out the heat and/or cold and just do my job it is not nearly as bad. This is not to say that you shouldn't take the precautions listed above, which was very good advice, but if you simply try not to think about the heat you may feel better.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Frozen bandana is probably the genesis for the cooling bandana's QVC/HSN sells. They really do work. Please remember that no package is worth heat stroke. We had a kid pass out, wake up and puke. The center manager patted him on the back and sent him back in the feeder on a 100 degree day with 100% humidity. He should have gone to the hospital. Please be careful. Very careful. Gatorade. Good luck!