How Do You Handle Stupid Non-Customers?

browniehound

First of all, If I have to park 50 yards away on an everday basis because the truck is an eyesore I would be delivering his stuff at 4:55.

On the OCA I'm pretty sure there is an account number given in the details of the message. I'm almost sure there needs to be an account number or payment linked when the On Demand is called in. I would have used that number.

I checked, that number was the center account number we used to use for 1-time pick-ups. I also checked to see if he was going to pay by check.

browniehound

Listen, if this was something I'd have to deal with, I would refuse their stuff everyday. When they do call up and complain, explain to your manager they won't let you park in front of the place to attempt the delivery.

Yeah, instead of parking in the most efficient place, I must park on the side, ring a phone, wait to get buzzed in and then go up an elevator. There is nothing I can do, its their property and its their policy for everyone except the mailman.

tarbar66

You can't fix stupid but we all can laugh about it. I used to figure that an On Demand Pickup from a once in the blue moon person would take at least 15 minutes and anything less was a good stop.

Killing the butt holes with kindness usually worked best unless it was the 3rd or 4th time I got screwed by them

brownrodster

UPSViking, he wasn' rude, just ignorant. Its why I put on my happy face and was very polite. Deep inside my blood was boiling however! Its friday and I just want to get home!

I know how that is. When you have to be nice to someone and smile but deep inside you want to hulk smash them because they are wasting your time.

UPSGUY72

Yeah, instead of parking in the most efficient place, I must park on the side, ring a phone, wait to get buzzed in and then go up an elevator. There is nothing I can do, its their property and its their policy for everyone except the mailman.

There property what they have parking police screw them I'd park where ever is the most efficient for me and I bet your ORS would do the same. If the customer said something I'd say ok and park in the same place the next day let them call the building and complain. Unless it's a saftey issue then you shouldn't have a problem with you SUP especially if it takes more time and it makes you have to back up.

Customers complain about stuff like that everyday, drivers don't hear about becasue management doesn't really give a crap unless it's a safety issue.

browniehound

There property what they have parking police screw them I'd park where ever is the most efficient for me and I bet your ORS would do the same. If the customer said something I'd say ok and park in the same place the next day let them call the building and complain. Unless it's a saftey issue then you shouldn't have a problem with you SUP especially if it takes more time and it makes you have to back up.

Customers complain about stuff like that everyday, drivers don't hear about becasue management doesn't really give a crap unless it's a safety issue.

C'mon UPSguy, I can't do that. Eventually after 4 complaints to UPS the sup will tell me to park on the side. There is a sign saying deliveries to the side of the building. Also, I'm friendly with most of the people there and don't want to piss anyone off.

However, if they call for a pick-up or are getting 20+ parcels or anything irregular, I go to the front and would kindly explain why I did so. Nobody said a word about this because I think they understand. They would have jumped all over me if it was just 1 box. At least someone understands...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
C'mon UPSguy, I can't do that. Eventually after 4 complaints to UPS the sup will tell me to park on the side. There is a sign saying deliveries to the side of the building. Also, I'm friendly with most of the people there and don't want to piss anyone off.

However, if they call for a pick-up or are getting 20+ parcels or anything irregular, I go to the front and would kindly explain why I did so. Nobody said a word about this because I think they understand. They would have jumped all over me if it was just 1 box. At least someone understands...
Brownie, I hear ya. We do have to take care of the customers. In your situation I probably wouldn't do anything differently. If you do what needs to be done with a smile customers tend to not get as pissy when we have to break a routine. This week, I had a regular customer that wants their deliveries at the back door. Fine with me, it is actually easier in the long run but when I have one box I go through the front door to the back fo the store. They don't complain because it doesn't happen very often. It works.

UPSGUY72

I'm confused there a sign to make deliveries to the side of the building or park on the side of the building? If there a sign that say make deliveries to side of the building than that is where you make them not the front door.

If find it hard to believe that some is tellling you where to park better yet your listen unless somedays you have 1 or 2 packages and go in the front door to save time then someone in the front office tells you not to park out front probably becasue they want you to deliver to the side of the building where the sign says to make all deliveries.

UPS doesn't give a crap where you park. The proof is the denver driver who racked up over $5000.00 worth of parking tickets last year.

You also say that the mailman gets to park up front probably becasue all his mail is for the front office. Which just comfirms what I said before they tell you not to park out front becasue they don't want you to deliver you packages to the front door.

I'm confused there a sign to make deliveries to the side of the building or park on the side of the building? If there a sign that say make deliveries to side of the building than that is where you make them not the front door.

If find it hard to believe that some is tellling you where to park better yet your listen unless somedays you have 1 or 2 packages and go in the front door to save time then someone in the front office tells you not to park out front probably becasue they want you to deliver to the side of the building where the sign says to make all deliveries.

UPS doesn't give a crap where you park. The proof is the denver driver who racked up over $5000.00 worth of parking tickets last year.

You also say that the mailman gets to park up front probably becasue all his mail is for the front office. Which just comfirms what I said before they tell you not to park out front becasue they don't want you to deliver you packages to the front door.

It depends on the location. In my strip malls I would park out front regardless because the stores did not own the property. If it was a private business that owned its lot and they said park here,you parked there. Why start a pissing match over a little walking that you`re paid for anyway. A lot of time once you build a good rapour with the customer they would ease up on the rules and you could deliver the way that worked the best.

Where do you work at? In my building, that's a safety issue. Walking 50 yards to deliver anything is fatiguing.

I assume you`re joking because if you puss out after 150ft you`ll never make it delivering a mall.
Like I said above,if it`s their property and they tell you to park and walk then you`ll park and walk. They could push the matter and say don`t park the "big brown truck" on my property and then you`ll be walking farther.

cino321

I assume you`re joking because if you puss out after 150ft you`ll never make it delivering a mall.
Like I said above,if it`s their property and they tell you to park and walk then you`ll park and walk. They could push the matter and say don`t park the "big brown truck" on my property and then you`ll be walking farther.

How do they expect to receive their delivery then?

What if I lived on your route, and told you that I don't like the way your truck looks in front of my house, and told you have to park in front one of my neighbors and walk to my house. Would you honor my request?

How do they expect to receive their delivery then?

What if I lived on your route, and told you that I don't like the way your truck looks in front of my house, and told you have to park in front one of my neighbors and walk to my house. Would you honor my request?

No,because you don`t own the street. Now I did deliver to some very wealthy neighborhoods and if someone did`nt want you driving on their driveway then you parked in the street and walked it off.
The difference,not hard to understand,is private versus public property.

cino321

Give me a break.

Browniehound, no reason you should have to go through this. Bring it up with your on car. If I were you I'd deliver them 10 minutes before they close unless they have premium packages, maybe then they'll budge.

Give me a break.

Browniehound, no reason you should have to go through this. Bring it up with your on car. If I were you I'd deliver them 10 minutes before they close unless they have premium packages, maybe then they'll budge.

And when this business goes far enough up the UPS ladder to make a complaint you`ll be a good boy and deliver them in trace,parking where they ask you. So,once again,why start a pissing match you`ll ultimately lose?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

cino talks a real good game but would do what he is told just like the rest of us. If we are asked to park on the side and make the delivery through the side door then that is what we do. cach has to deal with this customer on a daily basis and it sounds like he has it under control. I would think that at a time when we seem to be losing accounts on a daily basis we should be doing all that we can to keep the ones we still have.

Just as a correction I have been out of package since 95 but the "rules" still apply in feeder. Also when I had an assigned route it mattered more to keep people happy that I would see on a daily basis. But I am speaking from personal experience about getting into a p match with a customer. once they got to know me they didn`t mind if Cach came in the front because I was no longer just some delivery guy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I first started on the area that I have now I was told that NDA for Staples had to go to the back door, so that is what I did. It seemed to take them forever to answer the back door so I asked them if it would be OK if I brought their NDA in through the front. They said no but as they got to know me and vice versa I now deliver their NDA through the front door.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I first started on the area that I have now I was told that NDA for Staples had to go to the back door, so that is what I did. It seemed to take them forever to answer the back door so I asked them if it would be OK if I brought their NDA in through the front. They said no but as they got to know me and vice versa I now deliver their NDA through the front door.
It's funny how every store is different. We deliver all of Staples pcs to the front door. There p/u is at the front door as well.