How to become a driver?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Man up or back away.
"Man up"? I could also go on about what my own father endured after contracting Polio at the age of 17, spending months in an iron lung, years in rehab, and then over 55 years confined to a wheelchair. He bought a mail order art class and spent years practicing so he could earn a living for himself. The Polio destroyed all of the big muscles in his body but he still had the smaller muscles for dexterity. He would paint the bottom half of a painting or commercial rendering and then someone would turn the picture over and he would complete the top half upside down because he couldn't lift his arms.
Around the age of 7, I became his muscles. While my friends were playing baseball, football, riding bikes, etc, I was pruning, mowing, digging, cleaning, and everything else that needed to be done around the house that he wasn't able to do. I became the maintenance man for some rental property my parent's owned. I was sanding floors, painting, plumbing, and repairing electrical issues before I was a teenager. I believe I "manned-up" long before I actually became a man.
Someone asked how to become a driver, and I gave my opinion about the job as it exists today. When I was hired, I was completely blind to what a UPS man actually endured on the job. I figured he needed to know the dark side of it also. I do believe at the end of my comment, I wished him luck.
Another said it couldn't be that bad if I was still working for UPS. I merely explained why it was I was still driving and for some reason, you felt the need to butt-in and attack me personally?

satellitedriver

"Man up"? I could also go on about what my own father endured after contracting Polio at the age of 17, spending months in an iron lung, years in rehab, and then over 55 years confined to a wheelchair. He bought a mail order art class and spent years practicing so he could earn a living for himself. The Polio destroyed all of the big muscles in his body but he still had the smaller muscles for dexterity. He would paint the bottom half of a painting or commercial rendering and then someone would turn the picture over and he would complete the top half upside down because he couldn't lift his arms.
Around the age of 7, I became his muscles. While my friends were playing baseball, football, riding bikes, etc, I was pruning, mowing, digging, cleaning, and everything else that needed to be done around the house that he wasn't able to do. I became the maintenance man for some rental property my parent's owned. I was sanding floors, painting, plumbing, and repairing electrical issues before I was a teenager. I believe I "manned-up" long before I actually became a man.
Someone asked how to become a driver, and I gave my opinion about the job as it exists today. When I was hired, I was completely blind to what a UPS man actually endured on the job. I figured he needed to know the dark side of it also. I do believe at the end of my comment, I wished him luck.
Another said it couldn't be that bad if I was still working for UPS. I merely explained why it was I was still driving and for some reason, you felt the need to butt-in and attack me personally?

As I said, we could swap litany's.
Trust me, your story is not that different than mine. What the difference between us is when you said this;
Got a mortgage, kids in college, bills to pay. Have you noticed the economy lately? Have you noticed how many folks are unemployed? If there were somewhere I could go, I would do so in a heartbeat. I still work for UPS because I am trapped in this job.
Yes, man up.
Be a father to your family.

You are complaining
about what every working mans daily life concerns.
I was "attacking" your attitude about your "situation".
I was with you until you typed this;
I still work for UPS because I am trapped in this job.
Trapped?
Look at how your father handled his situation, did he whine like you?
I will bet a dollar to a dough nut hole he handled it like my father did when he was struck down by TB in 1948 and was bed ridden for a year and a half with no income and three young sons.

When my father recovered and only had a half of one lung, he got up and left the house a 5am to go to work at the RR and then worked his second job till 9pm.
Never once did I hear my father complain. He was proud to be able to work and provide.
He gave me the steel in my back.
Yes, I complain about the stupidity UPS trying to save a dime while wasting a buck, not complaining that I have no where to go.
By example, I was taught that no situation can "trap" me.
If you think I was attacking you personally, that's your problem.
I was criticizing your mentality.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Best way to get to the top of any ladder.............hhmmmmmmm......

just-knee-pads.jpg
just-knee-pads.jpg