I do not care anymore!

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
Hit 30 years this past May. About 10 years ago, my mental state was VERY MUCH like you describe. I had to do some SERIOUS soul searching. Came up with two "rules" I have worked by since. They have dramatically changed my attitude towards our job.

#1) It’s "their" world, I just work in it.

#2) I am as productive as the methods allow.

Can expand further if needed.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Hit 30 years this past May. About 10 years ago, my mental state was VERY MUCH like you describe. I had to do some SERIOUS soul searching. Came up with two "rules" I have worked by since. They have dramatically changed my attitude towards our job.

#1) It’s "their" world, I just work in it.

#2) I am as productive as the methods allow.

Can expand further if needed.

I well, God bless you and get out when you can. My motto now is "Here I am, I can do no more."

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
I well, God bless you and get out when you can. My motto now is "Here I am, I can do no more."

Thank you for the blessing, we all need God / Christ in the center of our lives.

Without trying to "change" your motto, may I suggest a slightly different approach?

".... I can do no more." seems to imply that we have "left it all out on the field, we can do no more". We are NOT professional athletes that hold multi million $$$ contracts that play a 60 minute game once a week. Our game lasts 9, 10, 12+ hours a day, 5 days a week! We HAVE TO do it right. Meaning, we HAVE TO due it by the methods, every stop, every day, every time. The methods REALLY are good. They are correct. They are accurate. And they will keep you (and others) safe. Follow them without exception, every time, every day, every stop. It's what we are paid to do.

But, unfortunately (for UPS), they WILL slow you down. And that's OK. It's good for you, and it's good for UPS. And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, it makes our job SO MUCH EASIER. Trust me on this.

In fact, it's the way our job is supposed to be done. If you don't feel you can "survive" a production / methods ride without having several method violations, begin to "critique" yourself on all the methods throughout your day. It will take several weeks to make ALL METHODS a natural habit. Times goes by fast, and soon you'll be able "ace" ANY ride-a-long with very few (if any) method violations. In other words, you're doing the job virtually 100% correct.
Then, like I say, no matter how over allowed you might be, you have done the job correctly. put the "time allowance" issue back on their shoulders.

Sorry I went on so long, but this is so important to our sanity with this job. God Bless

We have a GREAT need for Christ. We have a GREAT Christ for our need.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Thank you for the blessing, we all need God / Christ in the center of our lives.

Without trying to "change" your motto, may I suggest a slightly different approach?

".... I can do no more." seems to imply that we have "left it all out on the field, we can do no more". We are NOT professional athletes that hold multi million $$$ contracts that play a 60 minute game once a week. Our game lasts 9, 10, 12+ hours a day, 5 days a week! We HAVE TO do it right. Meaning, we HAVE TO due it by the methods, every stop, every day, every time. The methods REALLY are good. They are correct. They are accurate. And they will keep you (and others) safe. Follow them without exception, every time, every day, every stop. It's what we are paid to do.

But, unfortunately (for UPS), they WILL slow you down. And that's OK. It's good for you, and it's good for UPS. And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, it makes our job SO MUCH EASIER. Trust me on this.

In fact, it's the way our job is supposed to be done. If you don't feel you can "survive" a production / methods ride without having several method violations, begin to "critique" yourself on all the methods throughout your day. It will take several weeks to make ALL METHODS a natural habit. Times goes by fast, and soon you'll be able "ace" ANY ride-a-long with very few (if any) method violations. In other words, you're doing the job virtually 100% correct.
Then, like I say, no matter how over allowed you might be, you have done the job correctly. put the "time allowance" issue back on their shoulders.

Sorry I went on so long, but this is so important to our sanity with this job. God Bless

We have a GREAT need for Christ. We have a GREAT Christ for our need.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Spoken like a true union employee.
Put in your letter for management kid , because you have no idea how this place can wear down even the best of people.

Your posts always make you sound like some self absorbed, entitled, know it all 20 something millennial brat.

This guy has paid his time and is at a point where many of us have seen after many years. Ups is not the same place it used to be. It has become more harsh since we went public.

Aren't you a preloader? Yeah you can shut up now. You only get a beating for 4-5 hours. This driver probably gets it for 10-12 hours.

And if you don't like the union then why work a union job? Oh yeah the pay/benefits are better. Go stand by your principles and go get a non union job then. Oh you won't? Exactly. It's called you're a hypocrite.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I am just serving out my time towards my retirement. I do not care about service, quality of work, damage packages, crushed or open packages, dirty packages, or anything to delays me from going home. I DO NOT CARE ANYMORE!

Hang in there. You're almost to the end. Just focus on your weekends with family and friends. Take all your 8 hour days. Get on the 9/5 list. And take care of you. At this stretch, you've paid your dues and now make sure to take care of you first so you retire on your terms. You leave with your health and sanity. Don't let them control that or take it from you.

Ever.

watdaflock?

And if you don't like the union then why work a union job? Oh yeah the pay/benefits are better. Go stand by your principles and go get a non union job then. Oh you won't? Exactly. It's called you're a hypocrite.
That is true. I'm not a fan of unions yet gladly take advantage of their support of mediocrity. UPS is easy and I laugh when old timers cry about how hard it is nowadays. Anyone crying about "I don't care anymore...." (and how its so tough nowadays) obviously has not worked outside of a union shop.

UPS stock went public over 15 years ago. Took a long time for the OP not to care anymore....
Plus using going public is just an excuse for changes. The company as a whole is much larger and stronger now then when a private company-only owned business.

Funny thing is, I do care. Maybe not about the union but UPS the company, I do.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If push ever comes to shove I will always be able to make them more miserable than they can make me. 28 years in has given me a very high tolerance for misery as well as a bladder big enough to guarantee that I will be the winner of any pissing match they choose to start. All that said, I think I have it pretty good and I am not anticipating any issues in my remaining time with the company.

clean hairy

At this point in time, knowing each day punching in is one day closer to retiring and being outta here.
Makes it just a sidgen easier to to get through the day.

Rainman

Its all good.
That is true. I'm not a fan of unions yet gladly take advantage of their support of mediocrity. UPS is easy and I laugh when old timers cry about how hard it is nowadays. Anyone crying about "I don't care anymore...." (and how its so tough nowadays) obviously has not worked outside of a union shop.

UPS stock went public over 15 years ago. Took a long time for the OP not to care anymore....
Plus using going public is just an excuse for changes. The company as a whole is much larger and stronger now then when a private company-only owned business.

I don't blame you for taking advantage of union compensation. Only a fool wouldn't.

Anything is easy for a few hours a day when you're still relatively young. Once you hit 45 things begin to change for you.

Wait a few years down the road, after years of excessive hours, aches and pains you wouldn't have if it wasn't for the excessive workload. Wait until years of being treated like crap because you don't hit numbers that have no basis in real life. Maybe your attitude will change.

The OPs attitude took years to get to this point. That's how it works when you start with people who actually care, who aren't just punching a clock for the paycheck.

Yeah, we have it good as far as compensation goes. And for anyone who has worked outside of a union shop, things can be far worse. But most other jobs aren't going to treat you as crappy simply because they know you will leave. UPS knows that we are here for the long haul because of out high rate of compensation, and they leverage that whenever possible.

For years I was a pretty gung ho kind of guy. But I have been beaten down by the unrealistic working standards I see and how the company beats down good men and women just to push up a number. It turns people with good attitudes bitter and uncaring.

I applaud the fact that you still care, as so do I. I simply care less because of my experiences.

Give yourself a few more years and I bet your outlook will be significantly different.

The OP is just farther down the road than you are.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

This right here says volumes about that you don't have a clue. First off it doesn't matter when ups went public, but the fact that because of it, our business has to answer to metrics and people who don't understand what built ups and made it strong.

You want to know why you hear guys talk the way they do when they've been here a long time? Because those are the guys that made ups big. They remember what we used to be about and how it used to be the right way. Then jack offs like you show up and take all that you can without ever contributing to what used to make ups stand apart from the rest.

Oh and all those great things you enjoy here, you owe that to the ones before you that built it and preserved it. You owe it to the union that fought for every inch of it. But in your self entitled mind, you think you should have it all without the respect or appreciation to the ones who made it possible. And I'm willing to bet if our stock were private, it would be way more valuable then it is now.

I've worked many non union jobs and THOSE were cakewalks compared to what we are expected to do every day. Except maybe you. You seem to have it easy at ups and you have it all figured out. Please do your co workers a favor and put in your letter. Management is calling for brilliant mind like yours.

And then you can really stand by your anti union beliefs with your actions. Because then you'll have to prove how great of an asset you are to ups every day and you can "earn" your worth instead of leeching off the union pay you feel entitled to but are so against.

Ups needs more worthless part time supervisors like you. You'd fit right in. Make sure you order a cool color polo shirt from the catalog rookie.

watdaflock?

And I'm willing to bet if our stock were private, it would be way more valuable then it is now.
Not a chance. Optimistic.

Ups needs more worthless part time supervisors like you. You'd fit right in. Make sure you order a cool color polo shirt from the catalog rookie
mmhmm. Creative.

I've worked many non union jobs and THOSE were cakewalks compared to what we are expected to do every day.
Bull:censored2:. If your non union job was a cakewalk why did you leave? You must have left for the benefits.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

mmhmm. Creative.

Bull:censored2:. If your non union job was a cakewalk why did you leave? You must have left for the benefits.

Yep. I left for more opportunity, money and benefits. I didn't want to end up some 20 something know it all living in my parents house.

Some of us actually have a work ethic, a life and see the bigger picture.

Meanwhile there's :censored2: kids like you that love to mooch off the benefits/money that was fought for by people with more integrity than you would know what to do with. But hey keep saying how the union sucks and all us older guys just complain. Remember those are the two things that give you what you have at ups.

Put in your letter kid. With how awesome you are, ups will promote you to CEO in no time.

Oh and you obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to stock. It absolutely would be worth more if it was privately controlled.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Virtually all of the management people I deal with anymore were in grade school when I started working here and they joined UPS after the stock went public.

The majority are decent people and I actually get along quite well with most of them. But should the day ever come when that changes, one of my responses to any harassment will be to remind them that I have a pension and they don't. The calculus of the game changes in 18 months when I reach PEER 80; at that point I could very well choose to stay and keep working for no other reason than to spite them. I don't expect that to happen, but if it does it will be because of choices they made not me.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

mmhmm. Creative.

Yep. I left for more opportunity, money and benefits. I didn't want to end up some 20 something know it all living in my parents house.

Some of us actually have a work ethic, a life and see the bigger picture.

Meanwhile there's :censored2: kids like you that love to mooch off the benefits/money that was fought for by people with more integrity than you would know what to do with. But hey keep saying how the union sucks and all us older guys just complain. Remember those are the two things that give you what you have at ups.

Put in your letter kid. With how awesome you are, ups will promote you to CEO in no time.

Oh and you obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to stock. It absolutely would be worth more if it was privately controlled.

The only fault in your argument, @Orion's my new BFF, is that Austin is not a 20-something kid.

He is a 40-something failed shoe salesman here for the benefits and only because no one else would hire him.