I knew it was only a matter of time.

MAKAVELI

Again, I'm not trying to help myself. It's up to each driver. Some would obviously jump at Express but for many others, $14.50/hour for 30 hours minus $50/week for crappy insurance? Might not be as lucrative as you think.
Nobody is saying it's lucrative. But neither is your compensation for your drivers with no benefits.

bbsam

Staff member
Works out to about $15.50 an hour with 10 hours ot. It's funny that now you are saying we have a crap ins plan when you have posted how we have such a great deal compared to the exchange. Why don't you offer the same crap plan to your drivers and you wouldn't have to worry about them leaving?
I think you have me confused with someone else. What I have said in the past is that Fred used the ACA as an excuse to give you a crappier plan. I also have said that for what you pay compared to what you would have to pay on an exchange you aren't doing as bad as it would seem. Both are possible at the same time.

bbsam

Staff member
Works out to about $15.50 an hour with 10 hours ot. It's funny that now you are saying we have a crap ins plan when you have posted how we have such a great deal compared to the exchange. Why don't you offer the same crap plan to your drivers and you wouldn't have to worry about them leaving?

The more I read here, the less concerned I am that I'll be losing any more. The driver who left helped me find her replacement -- her son. So I'll have a pretty good feel for how things are for Express locally.

MAKAVELI

I think you have me confused with someone else. What I have said in the past is that Fred used the ACA as an excuse to give you a crappier plan. I also have said that for what you pay compared to what you would have to pay on an exchange you aren't doing as bad as it would seem. Both are possible at the same time.
No, it is as bad as it would seem. Your drivers look at Express and see we get paid ot, vacation , sick leave, health ins, and think it's the place to be. Then they get here and realize it's just a mirage in the desert.

bbsam

Staff member
No, it is as bad as it would seem. Your drivers look at Express and see we get paid ot, vacation , sick leave, health ins, and think it's the place to be. Then they get here and realize it's just a mirage in the desert.
I think that's the point I've been making.

bbsam

Staff member
My point is that both are what they are and people can do what they want. I have a driver who gets his insurance through his wife's job. What does Express offer him but a cut in take home pay? Nothing really. At least I doubt it's enough to offset the cut in take home pay.

MAKAVELI

My point is that both are what they are and people can do what they want. I have a driver who gets his insurance through his wife's job. What does Express offer him but a cut in take home pay? Nothing really. At least I doubt it's enough to offset the cut in take home pay.
If that's the case, why do your drivers leave? My guess is the deal you give them isn't as good as you think.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
we'll see. I personally have had one leave. Our building several. I'm betting I have her back in a month.
What makes you think she won't end up saying to hell with any kind of FedEx whatsoever?

Sent using BrownCafe App

bbsam

Staff member
What makes you think she won't end up saying to hell with any kind of FedEx whatsoever?

Sent using BrownCafe App
she might. But UPS isn't hiring around here and John Deere just laid 200 people off. Anything's possible.

Rainman

Its all good.
Nothing will repair your decimated pension, so why stick around and do the bidding of the people who decimated it?

People your age get new jobs daily.

Well by all means, bend over and take some more of it. I'm hoping you will man-up and do something about it, but you won't.

If you look around you will see other jobs as you said. At an even lower rate of pay with less benefits. Some times yon have to make the best of a bad situation. I hope people show you more compassion than you are currently showing.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

If you look around you will see other jobs as you said. At an even lower rate of pay with less benefits. Some times yon have to make the best of a bad situation. I hope people show you more compassion than you are currently showing.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Dano is a company shill. No compassion there , only disdain.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
she might. But UPS isn't hiring around here and John Deere just laid 200 people off. Anything's possible.
The fact that John Deere laid off 200 people I'm sure doesn't bat an eye in your area. That's a common practice after they stockpile their inventories. 2 months later they'll all be back. And as far as UPS is concerned, they go through loaders faster than your grocery store goes through heads of lettuce.

Slick silver

I would like to chime in, from a former ground driver and now a express driver.
It is a little bit better over here, I work the same amount of hours but make a lot more money because of ot pay.

If I could tell a contractor, it takes money to make money. Also you get what you pay for. I can see eventually ground station becoming a survival of the fittest. That's how I could see when I was leaving ground. More and more contractors failing daily because of not being able to keep drivers. Then they would over load the other drivers and tick them off and then they leave. Heck that's why I left. Plus the feeling of it's not a career just day labor. Heck my brother ask me if he should try getting a job as a hd or ground driver an I told him to stay away.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bbsam

Staff member
The fact that John Deere laid off 200 people I'm sure doesn't bat an eye in your area. That's a common practice after they stockpile their inventories. 2 months later they'll all be back. And as far as UPS is concerned, they go through loaders faster than your grocery store goes through heads of lettuce.
As I said, anything's possible.

bbsam

Staff member
I would like to chime in, from a former ground driver and now a express driver.
It is a little bit better over here, I work the same amount of hours but make a lot more money because of ot pay.

If I could tell a contractor, it takes money to make money. Also you get what you pay for. I can see eventually ground station becoming a survival of the fittest. That's how I could see when I was leaving ground. More and more contractors failing daily because of not being able to keep drivers. Then they would over load the other drivers and tick them off and then they leave. Heck that's why I left. Plus the feeling of it's not a career just day labor. Heck my brother ask me if he should try getting a job as a hd or ground driver an I told him to stay away.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Did you tell him to get a job at Express?