I knew it was only a matter of time.

fedupped

Original raise was moved back to oct. 18 months between last raise. Normal 3% raise was lowered to 2%. Which works out to 1.33 % over that time span!!!!!! Yeahh. District meeting said that more effort was being put into less than topped out employees. Topped out will be l u c k y to see 3%.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Original raise was moved back to oct. 18 months between last raise. Normal 3% raise was lowered to 2%. Which works out to 1.33 % over that time span!!!!!! Yeahh. District meeting said that more effort was being put into less than topped out employees. Topped out will be l u c k y to see 3%.

Wow, 1.3%. If you subtract the Medical Plan screwing, you're more like -7%.

vantexan

For one, I do believe Shell and the others are getting that tax break. Maybe these "wildcatters" are really the big old companies in sheeps clothing. Two, the biggest welfare i didn't mention...the military. China, Russia, the United Kingdom, Japan, France, Saudi Arabia, India, Germany, Italy and Brazil. Do you know if you total up the money they spend on their military and combine it, that number is still lower that what American spends on its military? Just think about that. American Spends more money on military than then next 11 countries combined. Thats sick. Thats the biggest welfare scam of all. Tyron is an ant compared to defense spending.
And to add, on corporations. If they continue to low ball its average working person, the economy will continue to struggle as well. But that's another topic really.
There's a commentary on the oil and gas industry in Friday's USAToday that illustrates my point. As long as your logic is ruled by anger there's no way to have a discussion with you. Let's face it, you and I and many millions more aren't equipped with an education that will open doors for us. We have to settle, and often we get screwed. I understand the anger, but way back when we should have made the effort necessary. The best I can say at this point is look for opportunities to advance ourselves or grin and bear it. I'm not going to let what FedEx did to me many times over be the story of my life. They hold all the cards in their little world, but it's as simple as walking out the door and trying something else. Or putting up with it. But until we have a better economy where companies are competing for our services we'll most likely get screwed by many companies if we don't have skills in high demand. For younger guys you are in luck. Millions of Baby Boomers are retiring every year now. Soon there should be a labor shortage. Might be 5 years or more, but at some point companies will have to pay better because the work isn't going to be done by 70+ yr olds.

dezguy

There's a commentary on the oil and gas industry in Friday's USAToday that illustrates my point. As long as your logic is ruled by anger there's no way to have a discussion with you. Let's face it, you and I and many millions more aren't equipped with an education that will open doors for us. We have to settle, and often we get screwed. I understand the anger, but way back when we should have made the effort necessary. The best I can say at this point is look for opportunities to advance ourselves or grin and bear it. I'm not going to let what FedEx did to me many times over be the story of my life. They hold all the cards in their little world, but it's as simple as walking out the door and trying something else. Or putting up with it. But until we have a better economy where companies are competing for our services we'll most likely get screwed by many companies if we don't have skills in high demand. For younger guys you are in luck. Millions of Baby Boomers are retiring every year now. Soon there should be a labor shortage. Might be 5 years or more, but at some point companies will have to pay better because the work isn't going to be done by 70+ yr olds.

Canada raised the age of retirement from 65 to 67, last year. Who's to say the US doesn't follow suit? Personally, it doesn't really make much sense to me. There are millions of kids out there who can't find work, yet we're keeping people in the work force longer. The ideal is, they're going to save money on the Canada pension plan because people won't be drawing from it for as long but in doing so, they've increased the unemployment rate amongst those just entering the workforce.

vantexan

Canada raised the age of retirement from 65 to 67, last year. Who's to say the US doesn't follow suit? Personally, it doesn't really make much sense to me. There are millions of kids out there who can't find work, yet we're keeping people in the work force longer. The ideal is, they're going to save money on the Canada pension plan because people won't be drawing from it for as long but in doing so, they've increased the unemployment rate amongst those just entering the workforce.
Full Social Security for people my age(52) has been 67 for many years now. No matter how we look at it the Baby Boom generation is much larger than following generations. In 2016 the oldest Boomers will be 70. At some point in the not too distant future there will be a labor shortage.

hypo hanna

Full Social Security for people my age(52) has been 67 for many years now. No matter how we look at it the Baby Boom generation is much larger than following generations. In 2016 the oldest Boomers will be 70. At some point in the not too distant future there will be a labor shortage.
Bummer for our country that the corporate oligarchy has starved the education systems of tax revanue. The kids coming out of our schools wont be the kind of employees they can count on.

vantexan

But aren't school systems primarily funded by county property taxes? And many of the problems with our schools are due to incompetant teachers protected by unions as well as lack of discipline.

hypo hanna

But aren't school systems primarily funded by county property taxes? And many of the problems with our schools are due to incompetant teachers protected by unions as well as lack of discipline.
Yes and corporations drain government coffers at every level. Federal, state and municipal and school districts of every shape and size.
I don't see my relatives who have dedicated their lives to education as incompetent.

vantexan

I'm not saying all teachers are incompetent but certainly knew a few that were and it's a nationwide problem. How are corporations draining coffers?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Pleez!! Straight out of the FOX/GOP playbook. "Lazy teachers, public unions, blah effing blah". You were educated by a "lazy" public employee. God, how I wish you and the other Libertarian/GOP fools would move to Somalia (Libertarian paradise) and straighten them out.

How is that fat cat corporate retirement working out for you? Are you going to take your SS "entitlement" or give it back? Oh, and we each funded SS, so it isn't an entitlement at all. I paid for it.

vantexan

Pleez!! Straight out of the FOX/GOP playbook. "Lazy teachers, public unions, blah effing blah". You were educated by a "lazy" public employee. God, how I wish you and the other Libertarian/GOP fools would move to Somalia (Libertarian paradise) and straighten them out.

How is that fat cat corporate retirement working out for you? Are you going to take your SS "entitlement" or give it back? Oh, and we each funded SS, so it isn't an entitlement at all. I paid for it.
What does that have to do with my question other than you are anti-corporation on everything? She made an assertion that poor education was due to corporations and I want to know why. And I think most of us have known at least a few teachers who had no business being teachers but are protected by their union. And seriously can you compare school discipline to when we were kids? Schools have problems on many fronts and I'm asking just how it is that it's corporations who are the root cause?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What does that have to do with my question other than you are anti-corporation on everything? She made an assertion that poor education was due to corporations and I want to know why. And I think most of us have known at least a few teachers who had no business being teachers but are protected by their union. And seriously can you compare school discipline to when we were kids? Schools have problems on many fronts and I'm asking just how it is that it's corporations who are the root cause?

Sure. Corporations do not pay their fair share of taxes, forcing government to obtain revenue in other ways. Mr. Smith is always telling the media that US corporate tax rates are the highest in the world, but write-offs make the effective true tax rate far less. Now, he and the other CEOs want even bigger breaks. Sure, we'll drop the rate when all of the loopholes are closed. Then watch the CEOs stop complaining about "high tax rates".

vantexan

Sure. Corporations do not pay their fair share of taxes, forcing government to obtain revenue in other ways. Mr. Smith is always telling the media that US corporate tax rates are the highest in the world, but write-offs make the effective true tax rate far less. Now, he and the other CEOs want even bigger breaks. Sure, we'll drop the rate when all of the loopholes are closed. Then watch the CEOs stop complaining about "high tax rates".
What does that have to do with county real estate taxes that fund local school districts?

hypo hanna

I'm not saying all teachers are incompetent but certainly knew a few that were and it's a nationwide problem. How are corporations draining coffers?
By using lobbyist, the purchase of elected officials and extortion of cities and towns to avoid any taxes at all.
My sister has to teach math to over thirty students at a time in a classroom that has space for twenty. In that environment, a single disruptive child can bring any lesson to a halt. Because of the epic failure that is "no child left behind", she can't just send that child to the office.
If the teacher unions failed, it's that they didn't do more to prevent this mess. Teachers are t lazy, they are just being prevented from actually educating by a poorly thought out policy.

vantexan

Probably because localities have whored themselves out by giving 10 year tax holidays to bring companies in.
But there are literally many thousands of school districts nationwide. It's not logical to blame the quality of public education on relatively few places where incentives have been given to get in a factory or distribution center. Now if you want to point to all the factories that closed and moved overseas leaving towns scrambling for income then maybe. But it's not just money because alot of money has been spent on public schools with very limited results in many places. Dedicated teachers who inspire students IMO is the single most important factor in a good school.

bbsam

Staff member
oh, it's not just factories. It's WalMarts, strip malls, car dealerships...you name it, they all feel entitled or they move to a community that tells them they are entitled.

bbsam

Staff member
In fact, our new station iis being built in a location nobody thought we would build. It is 10 miles further west and 10 miles further for the vast majority of line haul runs that come in to us. That doesn't seem like much until you consider 1.3 gallons to and from at $4.20 per gallon per line haul run. But all that cost is more than eaten up by the property taxes that Grou d won't be paying.

vantexan

In fact, our new station iis being built in a location nobody thought we would build. It is 10 miles further west and 10 miles further for the vast majority of line haul runs that come in to us. That doesn't seem like much until you consider 1.3 gallons to and from at $4.20 per gallon per line haul run. But all that cost is more than eaten up by the property taxes that Grou d won't be paying.
Been my experience that FedEx prefers to lease real estate rather than own it. Are you sure FedEx got a tax break or is it they're paying alot less rent due to the location?