I lost my job because a manager didnt like me

HazMatMan

I thought you were NOT supposed to accept ANY gifts from the customers....Booze or no booze. We all know that is B.S.... I know someone who works on the inside got a bottle of booze from a co-worker INSIDE the building, didn't have a problem.. Didn't drink it in the building either...Moral of the story (this might be offensive to some people) After you clock out, get the heck out of the building as quickly as possible, or they can get you for trespassing (believe it or not) Don't accept gifts from customers with booze in it, if you do, keep it wrapped.. And last but certainly not least, if you start choking on a taco please run to the water fountain instead of opening that gift basket and chugging a beer that came from the gift basket that you were NOT supposed to accept anyway...Just my opinion folks......BTW.. You sound like a really nice guy buying food for management..

Gman24

I do not wish ANYONE to lose their job, I have a family of 4 myself with another one on the way so I need my job. However with that being said. It was the BOOZ that got you fired! Regardless of whether your ctr manager like you or not, DO NOT give them ANYTHING to fire you over. You opened the door and might as well have had a bulls eye on your forhead while you were sipping from that booz bottle (choking or not) on company property. If I am not mistaken that is one of the cardinal sins. I hope you get your job back, but you will be lucky if you do.

surviv'n_it

The insurance running out 2 days later sounds fishy, aren't you covered for like 3 months under COBRA coverage????

As far as insurance goes, I was always told we are one month ahead. I just know in my center, you have to work at least one hour per week to keep coverage going for the following month. Obviously, vacations are different. I remember when I started driving, I would be laid off for a week and I would lose my insurance the next month.

Cobra is available after you lose your job but at your cost. It isnt free.

helenofcalifornia

Was there no union help at all on this? And our health benefits would have run out at the end of the month if we had not put in the required hours that month, or if you had, they would have run out at the end of the next month. Tough break for you. Get a GOOD lawyer who is good with these kind of cases. 15 years of driving? Full time?

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
you are correct I had to come up with 1600 dollars to start the policy , but after you get fired from UPS you dont have to deal with cobra for a couple of months because it usualy takes that long to get you out of the UPS system . I wasnt even able to log on to upsers.com the day following my termination.

Cole

No need to name names on here friend. They have no case, and this is more evidence of poor represenation from the Teamsters. Even a half way descent steward could have you back, much less your ba. You have the ammo, so don't waste it.

T o me it is simply another termination for you getting injured. If this manager that you said doesn't like you, then if you have any witnesses, have them write it down, and if you heard him say anything out of line to you on a personal level write it down.

705red

Browncafe Steward
No need to name names on here friend. They have no case, and this is more evidence of poor represenation from the Teamsters. Even a half way descent steward could have you back, much less your ba. You have the ammo, so don't waste it.

T o me it is simply another termination for you getting injured. If this manager that you said doesn't like you, then if you have any witnesses, have them write it down, and if you heard him say anything out of line to you on a personal level write it down.
I disagree with you cole, the only reason its going to arbitration is because the union took his side. If his steward and agent sucked they probably would have lost this case. The company is the one pushing the envelope here.

tieguy

Banned
I disagree with you cole, the only reason its going to arbitration is because the union took his side. If his steward and agent sucked they probably would have lost this case. The company is the one pushing the envelope here.

man you guys are gullible.

Cole

Tie Who bought the bigger and better things line and went into management? Not me.
:laugh: :lol:

LOL Game set and match!

As far as gullible, I have no idea if this a joke or not, but I treat it as truth, as I have seen them attempt to fire people for some really stupid things. Myself included.

705 granted there could be as usual more to the story than we are aware of, but this guy was not on the clock, so firing him has no merit. If he's telling us the truth he should call OSHA imho

tieguy

Banned
:laugh: :lol:

LOL Game set and match!

As far as gullible, I have no idea if this a joke or not, but I treat it as truth, as I have seen them attempt to fire people for some really stupid things. Myself included.

705 granted there could be as usual more to the story than we are aware of, but this guy was not on the clock, so firing him has no merit. If he's telling us the truth he should call OSHA imho

If he was actually observed drinking on property then his being on the clock would not necessarily have anything to do with the case.

What is puzzling with his story. ( one of many items ) is why they would send him to the clinic the next day for a fit for duty test. These are two seperate issues. If he came in the next day and at least two trained observers witnessed that he was behaving unusually with clear sysmptoms then we would send him down to the clinic for a fitness test. If however our discharge was for him drinking on property the day before then there is no reason to send him to the clinic. We discharge him for that offense. We don't spend the extra money to send him to the clinic when this evil manager who hates HK already has all the reason he needs to discharge poor HK. HK you're really being quiet when answering the follow up questions.

What offense were you discharged for. What did the discharge letter say?

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I was discharged for being under the influence of alcahol while on company property, from what I understand ,even though I was not on the clock, UPS is saying that being on property is as a good as being on the clock. My manager is convinced that I am a drug useing alcaholic and I think I was sent to the clinic by him for quote " Mr .... No one in there right mind would drink an alcoholic beverege in plain view of manegment personel for this reason I am convinced that you are not thinking clearly and obviusly under the influence of narcotics "
I agreed to go for the test knowing that it would return negative and figured this could only help my chances of getting my job back and also because i knew I wouldnt be getting a check for a while so I held off peeing for a few hours , I was able to make about $60 hanging out at the clinic