Info on a temp position

Hey guys . I'm currently a deer park spring water route sales rep I've been working here for 6 years I started at 15.32 an hour and now I'm at 18.75 . Before this I worked for fed ex ground under my father who owns multiple routes . While working for deer park I've been delivering to the hub at the Philadelphia air port and the lady who works the interviews has told me she can get me in as a temp driver at 18.75 an hour with the chance they keep me . My questions . I'm torn weather or not to take the leap and attempt it being a father and a homeowner but I know he risk is worth the reward . Any insight you guys could give me that would be great thanks .

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Even with the , "chance of being kept" and knowing two ppl within ?

If you're willing to stake your mortgage and your children's lifestyle on it, then go for it.

From what you've told us, you and I are very similar in terms of family life and financial commitments. Myself personally in my position, I only deal in guarantees - not "chances".

watdaflock?

How long would you say I had to work on the docks before I can go full time driving ?

All about seniority. How large is the hub? If smaller, it could be years.

I would not quit the sales rep job to go to ups since it's only equal pay. I doubt you're union as a sales rep, so that would be an additional expense.

Does your dad have any sort of Saturday air routes? Wondering if can keep the sales job and pick up more time with fed ex.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I wouldn't do it. Unless you know the FT sup and he likes you, you're not going to stay. HR says all the time that theres a good chance you'll stay because it's the only way they can get you to apply. They're in sales too.

Let me mention too deer park top rate is 23.75 temps in philly at ups start at 18.75 then if kept bumped to 22.50 and I already have the mind set that I'm leaving and I have a back up plan to join a trade union if all fails as a temp

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I already have the mind set that I'm leaving
Then why come here? We're not going to tell you it's all daisies. We had a peak seasonal hired back in January to go Permanent. Guy didn't drive a single day. Finally about 3 weeks ago after 6 months of no driving he said screw it and quit.

A lot to gamble for a chance that may take years.

Then why come here? We're not going to tell you it's all daisies. We had a peak seasonal hired back in January to go Permanent. Guy didn't drive a single day. Finally about 3 weeks ago after 6 months of no driving he said screw it and quit.

A lot to gamble for a chance that may take years.
Because I'm more cut out to be a package driver . I know I can do the job

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Let me mention too deer park top rate is 23.75 temps in philly at ups start at 18.75 then if kept bumped to 22.50 and I already have the mind set that I'm leaving and I have a back up plan to join a trade union if all fails as a temp
Temp usually means temp....unless you totally wow them. I wouldn't do it.