Info on a temp position

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by jorgeone33, Jun 22, 2015.

1. jorgeone33

jorgeone33 New Member

Hey guys . I'm currently a deer park spring water route sales rep I've been working here for 6 years I started at 15.32 an hour and now I'm at 18.75 . Before this I worked for fed ex ground under my father who owns multiple routes . While working for deer park I've been delivering to the hub at the Philadelphia air port and the lady who works the interviews has told me she can get me in as a temp driver at 18.75 an hour with the chance they keep me . My questions . I'm torn weather or not to take the leap and attempt it being a father and a homeowner but I know he risk is worth the reward . Any insight you guys could give me that would be great thanks .

2. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

Do not do it. You have a mortgage and kid(s). Temporary is just that - temporary. Especially at UPS.

Good luck.

3. jorgeone33

jorgeone33 New Member

Even with the , "chance of being kept" and knowing two ppl within ?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • List
  4. Richard Harrow

If you're willing to stake your mortgage and your children's lifestyle on it, then go for it.

From what you've told us, you and I are very similar in terms of family life and financial commitments. Myself personally in my position, I only deal in guarantees - not "chances".

5. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

You'll still be lowest on the totem pole which means whenever somebody is not needed that day, it'll be you.

6. jorgeone33

jorgeone33 New Member

How long would you say I had to work on the docks before I can go full time driving ?

7. Austin.Was.My.Hero

All about seniority. How large is the hub? If smaller, it could be years.

I would not quit the sales rep job to go to ups since it's only equal pay. I doubt you're union as a sales rep, so that would be an additional expense.

Does your dad have any sort of Saturday air routes? Wondering if can keep the sales job and pick up more time with fed ex.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

I wouldn't do it. Unless you know the FT sup and he likes you, you're not going to stay. HR says all the time that theres a good chance you'll stay because it's the only way they can get you to apply. They're in sales too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. jorgeone33

jorgeone33 New Member

Let me mention too deer park top rate is 23.75 temps in philly at ups start at 18.75 then if kept bumped to 22.50 and I already have the mind set that I'm leaving and I have a back up plan to join a trade union if all fails as a temp

10. FrigidFTSup

Then why come here? We're not going to tell you it's all daisies. We had a peak seasonal hired back in January to go Permanent. Guy didn't drive a single day. Finally about 3 weeks ago after 6 months of no driving he said screw it and quit.

A lot to gamble for a chance that may take years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Thanks for the thread. Glad we could help.

12. jorgeone33

jorgeone33 New Member

Because I'm more cut out to be a package driver . I know I can do the job

13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We don't doubt your ability to do the job. What we worry about is you throwing away a sure thing with the hope of being kept on full time @ UPS.

14. FrigidFTSup

A lot of people come in saying they know they can do the job. It's another thing to actually do it.

I give drivers a lot of credit. You don't know how hard it is until you actually do it.

15. jorgeone33

jorgeone33 New Member

So tell me the best way to go driving ?

16. Richard Harrow

Show up everyday and on time. From there, only seniority will get you promoted.

17. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Start part time at 18 and wait.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. FrigidFTSup

Be a PT package handler in addition to your day job. You get to learn how things work without taking the risk of leaving your current job.

19. jorgeone33

jorgeone33 New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys

20. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Temp usually means temp....unless you totally wow them. I wouldn't do it.